Leicester v Chelsea (PL) Tues 19th Jan 2021 20:15 GMT

17 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Spot On.

I touched on it elsewhere. We all clamour for player X to be in the side and then when they play its "oh, he's not as good as I thought he was". NO player is doing enough to warrant a continued run in the starting 11. The only exceptions are probably Mendy (as we all know what the alternative is), Silva (who may be 36 but is head & shoulders above everyone else) and Mount, who gets a lot of criticism and is accused of being Franks blue-eyed boy but he TRIES. Wasn't great last night but put in more effort than thes rest combined and actually looked hurt at the end. We need a few more who can dig deep and do the basics rather than just turn up to pick up their hefty pay packet.

That's just it, besides those players you mentioned (I think Giroud has been reliable no matter what, not so much Mount but I'm aware I'm in a minority in that one) nobody is pulling their weight. Everyone is playing to about 1/4 of their ability. It's actually frightening to see how much everyone has declined. 

I would blame it on fitness and injuries but when you saw the way Fulham were playing against us despite having less rest, playing Spurs midweek and with 10 men... 

Has anyone got the feeling that had we worn United red last night we would have got away with a scrappy 2-2 draw? I'm 99.999% certain that the penalty would have stood and Timo's goal would not have been offside because they would have drawn the line from Leicester player's elbow rather than shoulder (or wherever they decided to draw it from). I should add that it would have been unfair given our bad performance, but that's how Manure have got to the top of the league.

Just now, RMH said:

Has anyone got the feeling that had we worn United red last night we would have got away with a scrappy 2-2 draw? I'm 99.999% certain that the penalty would have stood and Timo's goal would not have been offside because they would have drawn the line from Leicester player's elbow rather than shoulder (or wherever they decided to draw it from). I should add that it would have been unfair given our bad performance, but that's how Manure have got to the top of the league.

Not to mention Vardy running from 10m offside from the goalkick before they scored to get involved in the play.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside#:~:text=There is no offside offence,a throw-in

Not entirely sure how you could be offside from a corner, but that's your explanation:

No offence

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

Edited by PloKoon13

The score from the corner was the first goal, not the second goal.  He is asking why Vardy's presence in the buildup to the second goal was not a reason to call it back as being an offsides goal.  To me, Vardy was not really much in the buildup, so I don't have a problem with the decision to allow the second goal.

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside#:~:text=There is no offside offence,a throw-in

Not entirely sure how you could be offside from a corner, but that's your explanation:

There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:

• a goal kick
  • a throw-in
  • a corner kick

If that's the case, why don't out front 5 all go stand in the opposition 6-yard box at every goal kick, and we give Mendy extra distance kicking practice? It would bollocks up any of this goal kick to opposition mid-field to start a counter attack.

See, I can be a FIFA16 expert, just like the rest of you.

I see it on the FA website, but I don't get it ? have a missed something ?  as Yorkley says why aren't teams going route one ?  

Maybe it is my pickled football brain can't get my head round this. Oh well nothing surprises me in this game I suppose. 

makes bugger all difference to last night we were still crap 🙂

27 minutes ago, Phillip said:

The score from the corner was the first goal, not the second goal.  He is asking why Vardy's presence in the buildup to the second goal was not a reason to call it back as being an offsides goal.  

Yeah I understood that - I was just curious as to how it would be possible to be offside directly from a corner!

9 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Yeah I understood that - I was just curious as to how it would be possible to be offside directly from a corner!

I notice players often tend to put the ball as far away from the actual corner as possible, so it's never quite on the touch line. Also, can players be offside if they are out of play? For example, if attacking players went and stood inside the goal during a corner you'd think they'd be considered offside, otherwise people would be doing it.

1 hour ago, bluedave said:

can players be offside if they are out of play?

This is a bit complicated.

"If an attacking player remains stationary between the goalposts and inside the goal as the ball enters the goal, a goal must be awarded unless the player commits an offside offence....An attacking player may step or stay off the field of play not to be involved in active play

so you're not offside by being behind the goal line 

BUT

"A player who deliberately leaves the field of play and re-enters without the referee’s permission and is not penalised for offside and gains an advantage, must be cautioned."

Surely by jumping inside the goal to avoid being called offside would mean leaving the field without the ref's permission, and seeking to gain an advantage, and would therefore lead to a yellow card.

BUT

would the goal still stand?

Based on the above ("a goal must be awarded unless the player commits an offside offence"), it would.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Sam Alladyce messed around with the rules with Bolton years ago. At set plays they would stand offside apart from set players who made sure they were onside then as defence drop the others become on side with the next touch by an onside attacker or defender. it was just done to make the defence loose concentration.

Another question for you lot to answer.

Pulisic was just about through behind the Leicester defence when he was brought down by Evans, just inches outside the box, no penalty, by why was Evans only shown a yellow and not a red, surely he stopped a goal scoring opportunity ? It didn't get mentioned on TV, they were just looking at the penalty.

54 minutes ago, coco said:

Pulisic was just about through behind the Leicester defence when he was brought down by Evans, just inches outside the box, no penalty, by why was Evans only shown a yellow and not a red, surely he stopped a goal scoring opportunity ? It didn't get mentioned on TV, they were just looking at the penalty.

Same question was raised in the comments during the game. Haven't heard an explanation from anyone. I assume it was a bit like the challenge on VvD (the only time in history a player got injured) - once Var had looked at the penalty/ no pen issue, the official's brain was unable to cope with anything else at the time.

7 hours ago, Williamwilson said:

Can someone explain why the second goal was not offside thanks

exactly what I was thinking...he was miles off

7 hours ago, wizardous said:

The thing is there is no offside from a goal kick.

what I begrudgingly remembered (woulda remembered right away had it been Werner doing it and us scoring.  Funny how bias works )

8 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Same question was raised in the comments during the game. Haven't heard an explanation from anyone. I assume it was a bit like the challenge on VvD (the only time in history a player got injured) - once Var had looked at the penalty/ no pen issue, the official's brain was unable to cope with anything else at the time.

As I recall he wasnt the last Leicester man back..... would another Leicester player have gotten between Pusilic and the goal?  I actually doubt it, but they were in a line and Evans (who is still a c**t) had his whole backline pretty level with him on the edge of the box.   I actually didnt see the yellow and was livid, so glad to hear it was given....and I would never begrudge a Jonny Evans sending off regardless of its merits.

1 hour ago, Barry Bridges said:

As I recall he wasnt the last Leicester man back..... would another Leicester player have gotten between Pusilic and the goal?  I actually doubt it, but they were in a line and Evans (who is still a c**t) had his whole backline pretty level with him on the edge of the box.   I actually didnt see the yellow and was livid, so glad to hear it was given....and I would never begrudge a Jonny Evans sending off regardless of its merits.

Actually Evans wasn't even booked in the incident, so the argument that the ref just forgot when the penalty was downgraded to freekick doesn't even stand. He should have received at least a yellow. Yes he was part of a defensive line at the time but without that foul Pulisic is clear on goal and very central too. As bad as we were for large chunks of the game last night it is decisions like that which can make a big difference in the course of a game/season. Another ref in charge of VAR and the penalty might stand (it was definitely not a clear error), with Evans given his marching orders. Suddenly a very different game.

1 minute ago, Richard P said:

The penalty was always going to be overturned as the contract was on the foot outside the area. Had he kicked his left foot it would have been given

Either it should be given as a pen, which rightly was overturned for where the contact happened.

Or it should be a free kick and red for Evans as Pulisic ia not being caught by the other defender with no contact from Evans and is clean through. Professional foul stopping clear goalscoring opportunity. Was awful use of VAR again and again it goes against us.

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Either it should be given as a pen, which rightly was overturned for where the contact happened.

Or it should be a free kick and red for Evans as Pulisic ia not being caught by the other defender with no contact from Evans and is clean through. Professional foul stopping clear goalscoring opportunity. Was awful use of VAR again and again it goes against us.

He should have been booked but with another defender near whether we think he could get to Pulisic or not there is doubt. Be interesting to know whether they spoke about back at VAR 

21 hours ago, rocker_joker said:

We are definitely not getting Top 4 so it looks like we will be winning a Champions League.

Although it looks a huge task, just bear in mind this time last season, we were 19 points behind Leicester whilst United were 20 points behind them. We sit 9 points behind them at this stage, despite them being joint top. My point being, although things look really bleak, all can change. We just need to get a winning run going again. Easier said than done but if the players play to best of ability, then we definitely can go on a run.

3 hours ago, coco said:

Because we don't have any Chelsea pundits on MOTD, BT or Sky who will rave on about it and demand action be taken. 

We don't have the same protection United and Liverpool get.