Leicester v Chelsea (PL) Tues 19th Jan 2021 20:15 GMT

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

54 minutes ago, Zeta said:

We sometimes move the ball quickly, but even when we do, it just ends up going backwards most of the time. And how many times do we see us with an opportunity to counter attack, and just slowly pass it around at the back allowing the other team to get into their shape? How many times we have have the ball out wide of the opponents area, and then pass it back, sideways and try going down the other side with the same lack of intensity? There are gaping holes all over our midfield, we aren't playing to the strengths of our attack, and half the time the players are throwing their arms in the air and passing it back because no-one is moving, and there's no issue with the tactics?

Yes the team will take time to gel, but this isn't just a blip, this is as good as Frank is able to get them to play.

A sensible appraisal, The one glaring thing we are missing is a midfield ball winner, Leicester just won the ball back so often with good clinical tackling, that then lets your Midfielders play, i feel sorry for Havertz, who technically is as good as we have, get the ball to him, he finds space, Chilwell is struggling atm, but not sure Lamps can get anymore out of this team, so much chopping and changing players, you're never going to get a settled side, the fact he doesn't know his best XI is a concern.

That was really poor. We held our own for the first five minutes. Fell asleep from a set piece. Didn’t learn our lesson and they scored from the next one. We had a chance to get back in the game with the Mount free-kick after the penalty that wasn’t given. But he didn’t get it anywhere near the goal. They then went down the pitch and scored and it was game over. They had two more good chances. We didn’t create anything of note till the chalked-off Werner effort.  But 4-0 wouldn’t have been an unfair result. Leicester took their foot off the pedal as we were well beaten. No need to exert themselves more than necessary.

A lot of poor performances all over the pitch. We looked as if we’d barely been coached. Players didn’t have a clue, a direction, an option. We were just making it up as we were going along. What on earth do we do on the training pitch? It was lamentable. Sorry to say this as Lampard was a genius player. But he’s out of his depth at this level. We need to get a proper manager in. This squad is crying out for some tactical discipline and nous. It’s not a good time to bring in a new coach. But we can’t allow this to go on. 

1 hour ago, Chels-top-boy said:

He absolutely should stay. Personally I think he’s been outstanding in his 18 months with as boss. We’re going through a blip but tactically he’s shown he can go toe to toe with the best managers. Just give him time. He needs more players. If we can get Haaland next season our front two would be unplayable. 

The front two don't win the game for you. The D needs to be solid and you have to own the midfield. Chelsea gave up the midfield today.

Just gone through the match thread and the best thing about the game is someone getting over thirty posts before getting banned. As someone said early on the Torres picture was a give away. 

Also for us supporters we must see that there is no general agreement what our best side is. I read last game that Dave was finished and should stop before becoming another Branna. Then tonight he shouldn’t have been dropped because James is not good enough!

it’s very interesting when you go through a whole match thread and count how many players shouldn’t be playing added to the ones people are happy aren’t already playing!

Does that say more about the players than anything else? opinions differ but Since around 2017 there have been so many differing views on team selection since I started going to games in 1978

2 hours ago, IliyaKrostin said:

- We do not know how to press as a team, we didn't steal or won any ball in Leicester's area and we lost almost every physical battle.

- We do not know how to defend as a team, the distance between our lines are too big and we're too open. Every pass will beat our line with just one player.

- We have no confidence, we don't play football and we can't do nothing right now. We already lost the game with our body language, we can blame Lampard but also the players who got no heart in the game.

We are going to have a tight battle for the top 4, I can't even say we're favorites to get our spot there. 

Tight battle for top 4?  We are no where near good enough. We were outclassed today...hell we were outplayed by fulham in the first half over the weekend before they went down to ten men. 

3 hours ago, Chels-top-boy said:

No offence but you don’t seem to understand football properly. A blind person can see Lamps brand of football can be effective when it all comes together. Just give him time. 

Keep pushing the ball out to the wings and hope a cross hits someone isn't a brand of football I want to see....maybe in Franks day when Drogba was up front, but not with the players we have up front..and please don't say Giroud because Drogba was 10 times better than Giroud as an all round player; Giroud is a one trick pony and is a short term solution.  We have young fast paced players up front so why are we not playing to their strengths?  

1 hour ago, Richard P said:

Just gone through the match thread and the best thing about the game is someone getting over thirty posts before getting banned. As someone said early on the Torres picture was a give away. 

Also for us supporters we must see that there is no general agreement what our best side is. I read last game that Dave was finished and should stop before becoming another Branna. Then tonight he shouldn’t have been dropped because James is not good enough!

it’s very interesting when you go through a whole match thread and count how many players shouldn’t be playing added to the ones people are happy aren’t already playing!

Does that say more about the players than anything else? opinions differ but Since around 2017 there have been so many differing views on team selection since I started going to games in 1978

We have some very very talented footballers however at the moment they lack direction and confidence to play at their best and that simply comes down to the coaching staff.

48 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

Tight battle for top 4?  We are no where near good enough. We were outclassed today...hell we were outplayed by fulham in the first half over the weekend before they went down to ten men. 

Not saying the Fulham game was good enough but to say we were outplayed is ridiculous.

Furthermore, we are good enough to be top 4, we achieved it last two season's with inferior squad's. The fact we're failing as it stands has to be down to the coaching.

Enough is enough.  How many more times are we going to watch the same mistakes and patterns and wait for a change on the pitch.  This isn't new - started last season.  We had a very positive start to last season, then a bad run and patchy new year, limping across the line to what was an outstanding 4th place.

What we are watching this season is abysmal.  I've never seen a team pass sideways and back as much as Chelsea.  We are toothless upfront, spineless in the back, and somewhere in between in midfield.

3 hours ago, Stas1 said:

Have to disagree.  Hard work comes second after rational thought and right plan, otherwise it ends up as headless (and very tired and confused) chickens - as it is in our case.

And why would you run and sprint if nobody has any intention of passing the ball to you? 

You resort to running and sprinting like headless chickens, when you lack smarts and skills.

Skills alone is not enough to win, hard work alone does not win; it requires both actually.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Not saying the Fulham game was good enough but to say we were outplayed is ridiculous.

Furthermore, we are good enough to be top 4, we achieved it last two season's with inferior squad's. The fact we're failing as it stands has to be down to the coaching.

Fulham had the better chances. 

What in the last 6 weeks have u seen that makes you think we are good enough to be top 4 THIS year.   Teams around us are better.  Tottenham, LC, everton, Man U, aston villa, etc etc.conpared to last year....dude its January 19th and we haven't beaten a good team yet. Lol

I agree with you on coaching...Lampard seems out of his element. 

28 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

Fulham had the better chances. 

What in the last 6 weeks have u seen that makes you think we are good enough to be top 4 THIS year.   Teams around us are better.  Tottenham, LC, everton, Man U, aston villa, etc etc.conpared to last year....dude its January 19th and we haven't beaten a good team yet. Lol

I agree with you on coaching...Lampard seems out of his element. 

Mount hit the bar and Areola made a great save, admittedly Fulham had a sitter aswell. Unlike previous times where we had too much deadwood in the side i am of the big belief we have a quality group of players and our problems are largely down to undercoaching, i believe if a new manager comes in who knows how to use them and sets up with good tactical structure it will quickly if not instantly start showing in results.

This is a topsy turvy season, few wins on the bounce and all of a sudden we're there or there abouts again.

6 hours ago, Stas1 said:

Have to disagree.  Hard work comes second after rational thought and right plan, otherwise it ends up as headless (and very tired and confused) chickens - as it is in our case.

And why would you run and sprint if nobody has any intention of passing the ball to you? 

Lampard was meaning about doing the dirty stuff off the ball. Regaining shape, going the extra mile to make sure you get your body in the way of a shot,tracking back etc.  We were out worked all over the pitch last night, that isn’t good enough and no matter who the manager is, they will have to get a grip of this. I agree with your rational thought etc but the starting point is working hard for your team.

Better side won first and foremost.

A couple of annoying VAR pieces in there. How Evans escapes with not even a booking when the pen is overturned is poor from the officials, as was the call to disallow Timos goal imo.

Anyway aside from that I asked beforehand could CHO step up when given the chance we had asked for him. Answer was a resounding no. Poor delivery and wasted a glorious chance to make it 1-1.

Tammy and Timo asked for the ball in behind multiple times but none of our players had the vision or quality to pull it off. Unlike Leicester who could play a quality pass from any player.

Well played Leicester.

Well got up this morning, and I’m still here, Chelsea are still here, and life goes on, already forgot about last nights game, if I’m correct, we lost to the team away currently top of the League? My advice to all you getting under hot under the collar, gotta a feeling the reason is you can’t take getting the piss ripped out of you on social media? For f**k sake man up you precious little things, how the f**k you would of handled it in the 70’s and early 80’s and it was to your face not behind a keyboard then and we were near the bottom of the old div 2, front it up girls and boys, it’s not that bad, UTC

Just awful from the start to the finish, as soon as I saw Rudiger in the starting 11 I had the feeling we are in trouble. Not saying Zouma is all that, but Rudiger only played those games we didn't care so far this season, couldn't even hold his own against 10 men Fulham the other night. It's past the point to criticize individual players, some just arent playing well enough or not good enough, but most aren't trying very hard. There's that feeling of conceding defeat in the team and the managers. We needed a bit or a lot of luck tonight, and never got it. Defensively, we were all over the places when they attacked. There was no excuse to let both goals, it's only the 5th minute of the game, nobody was around the edge of the box, and nobody even tried to charge down the shot. All the problems with attack remain, we had a few good moments but to be honest we never had 2 goals in us. We needed change, and to be honest I don't believe rotating players is going to fix anything. Either we get a couple of players in ( highly doubt it), or let the manager go, or a whipping from Roman himself. It's only half way into the season, it's still salvageable, but we have to do something drastic soon. With all due respect to Lampard, blaming players and individual mistakes game after game is not going to turn things around.

I've said this repeatedly that FL is at best a Championship manager and doesn't have the experience to manage a top team like Chelsea. We need to get a new manager in ASAP if we are to get anything out of this season...Tuchel or Allegri is looking for work but I'd like to see Brendon Rogers given a chance...though it would grate to see a Celtic man get involved...

8 hours ago, Richard P said:

Spot On.

I touched on it elsewhere. We all clamour for player X to be in the side and then when they play its "oh, he's not as good as I thought he was". NO player is doing enough to warrant a continued run in the starting 11. The only exceptions are probably Mendy (as we all know what the alternative is), Silva (who may be 36 but is head & shoulders above everyone else) and Mount, who gets a lot of criticism and is accused of being Franks blue-eyed boy but he TRIES. Wasn't great last night but put in more effort than thes rest combined and actually looked hurt at the end. We need a few more who can dig deep and do the basics rather than just turn up to pick up their hefty pay packet.