Graham Potter (Now Sacked ) - *Official* New (Now Old) Chelsea Manager

coco
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

48 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Do we do the same for the three week break around the Queen's funeral and the lengthy breaks following our early withdrawal from the cup competitions. This guy has had more training ground time with his players than pretty much any of our recent managers over the last ten years or more.

This is the point that worries me more than any other. For years different coaches have told us of the advantage of having a full weeks preparation, Graham even used it as an excuse for the Southampton loss, yet we are showing no improvement despite all the extra coaching time afforded him.

It's a pity Southampton couldn't play us every weekend, and once more during the week😐 I think we need a game against Wrexham, just to get on American TV and beat a team we could beat. Even Leeds had a mid week game this week,  if we can't beat them this weekend, really have to dig into the books to find an excuse. Let's hope we used the free week for good effects, other than getting inspirations from All or Nothing.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

Goals against PL opposition in the last six weeks Grimsby 2 Chelsea 1 I've nothing else to say goodnight to everyone.

We scored 3 goals in January and 1 in February, so we are definitely seeing signs of improvement. 
I just dont understand why people get so angry so fast. If we give Potter pre-session training with the team, maybe we will score 4 goals in September.  Points don't matter that much, we are not children anymore, we are above that. The signs are out there, so we should chill up.

6 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Do we do the same for the three week break around the Queen's funeral and the lengthy breaks following our early withdrawal from the cup competitions. This guy has had more training ground time with his players than pretty much any of our recent managers over the last ten years or more.

Simply not true. He has not had "more training time than any of our recent managers over the last ten years".

He has been here mere months, with a severely disrupted schedule and unprecedented number of injuries. A large number of the players have only been here for just over a month (felix, baddy, mudryk, madueke, enzo). A large number of players (reece, chilly, wes, kante, rlc, zakaria, sterling, puli) have been injured long term. That is 13 players i have listed above, almost 50% of the squad, that have hardly had any training sessions over the last few months. This is without considering that  95% of the squad going for the world cup.  

I don't dispute that potter should have got more out of the team - but the narrative that he has had a lot of time to work with the players is not true. 

6 hours ago, Dragos said:

We scored 3 goals in January and 1 in February, so we are definitely seeing signs of improvement. 
I just dont understand why people get so angry so fast. If we give Potter pre-session training with the team, maybe we will score 4 goals in September.  Points don't matter that much, we are not children anymore, we are above that. The signs are out there, so we should chill up.

I venture to suggest it will be a very, very long time since we previously went a month during the season where we only scored 1 goal.  Quite possibly a record for our time in the premier league? Although not one I expect to see getting much airplay on the club website.

32 minutes ago, ozboy said:

I venture to suggest it will be a very, very long time since we previously went a month during the season where we only scored 1 goal.  Quite possibly a record for our time in the premier league? Although not one I expect to see getting much airplay on the club website.

Perhaps we can go into full Spurs mode and release a dvd "Our February Goal" ?

11 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Potter's style is to always switch players and systems, he is counting on the surprise factor by constantly switching things up this is what he did at Brighton.

And this is also something that no successful manager in the modern era has done as well so no wonder Potter is out of his depth.

We have been playing exactly the same way for the last 4/5 games

4 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Simply not true. He has not had "more training time than any of our recent managers over the last ten years".

He has been here mere months, with a severely disrupted schedule and unprecedented number of injuries. A large number of the players have only been here for just over a month (felix, baddy, mudryk, madueke, enzo). A large number of players (reece, chilly, wes, kante, rlc, zakaria, sterling, puli) have been injured long term. That is 13 players i have listed above, almost 50% of the squad, that have hardly had any training sessions over the last few months. This is without considering that  95% of the squad going for the world cup.  

I don't dispute that potter should have got more out of the team - but the narrative that he has had a lot of time to work with the players is not true. 

TT didn't have a preseason and took over a struggling team halfway through the 2020-21 season. He had been on the job for four months when we reached FA Cup final and won the CL, all that without signing a single player. The following season after signing just Lukaku (granted, a big mistake) and having just as bad a list of injuries as this Potter's squad, Tuchel proceeded to win Super Cup, Club World Cup, reached two domestic cup finals and finished third in the league. All that despite Lukaku disaster, ridiculous list of injuries, the busiest schedule of any club across Europe and all the hell the team went though due to sanctions, forced ownership change etc.

Tuchel made his share of mistakes and there must have been serious reasons behind the scenes for sacking him, but I just wanted to demonstrate that if you have what it rakes to deliver at the highest level, you succeed at times even when the odds aren't in your favour. But when you're not cut out for this, you can have all the help in the world and you'll still fail and there'll be a ready made list of excuses to justify your failings.

I'm sorry to say this, really...... Graham Potter doesn't inspire anything in anyone. Yes he's a nice chap and all that but most people tend to nod off when he starts talking. Out of all the new managers we've had over the last 20 years he is the only one I imediately thought wouldn't be up to the job. Yeah he had a bit of run at Brighton but nothing spectacular. I've tried to give him a break but I see no chance at all of him ever being able to take command of a dressing room full of international stars. 

I'm abroad at the moment and glad of it too. I get the feeling the crowd is starting to turn. If that's true (and it may not be) I think the board will change thier mind. They've already seen there's a problem and this is evidenced by the engagement of a sport psychologist.  A booing crowd will have a devastating impact on the young players. Pretty soon the season will be over and the players won't have anything to play for. Will Clearlake just let Todd spend another £300 m in the summer? I can't see it. He's going to be under pressure to turn things around and he may just be on the lookout for a scapegoat.  

44 minutes ago, abramovich said:

TT didn't have a preseason and took over a struggling team halfway through the 2020-21 season. He had been on the job for four months when we reached FA Cup final and won the CL, all that without signing a single player. The following season after signing just Lukaku (granted, a big mistake) and having just as bad a list of injuries as this Potter's squad, Tuchel proceeded to win Super Cup, Club World Cup, reached two domestic cup finals and finished third in the league. All that despite Lukaku disaster, ridiculous list of injuries, the busiest schedule of any club across Europe and all the hell the team went though due to sanctions, forced ownership change etc.

Tuchel made his share of mistakes and there must have been serious reasons behind the scenes for sacking him, but I just wanted to demonstrate that if you have what it rakes to deliver at the highest level, you succeed at times even when the odds aren't in your favour. But when you're not cut out for this, you can have all the help in the world and you'll still fail and there'll be a ready made list of excuses to justify your failings.

In other words, TT proved himself worthy of patience when times are difficult whereas Potter hasn't.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

Don’t deny any of what you said - TTs results, certainly in winning the champions league were initially impressive. 

Unfortunately after a positive start, the rot set in, and by the end we were getting shocking results, shocking performances and shocking planning for the long term.

The long list of short term managers we had (Jose, Conte, TT) did a great job of coming in, getting results immediately and winning trophies. But the short term thinking left the squad in bad shape, and the new owners want to take a longer term view. 

18 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Perhaps if you spent more time on this forum before you joined to only cry about a manager on every post and add no substance elsewhere you'd have seen how i backed every manager (except Rafa), if you didn't know Chelsea have had a lot of managers that aren't English before Potter.

Players weren't performing for Potter at the start of this season or throughout pre-season. Once again, might have been before you chose to be a supporter so just updating your memory. 

Quite right sir ! I'll consider myself told off by proper supporter , a thousand apologies . Sadly that individual has featured in my thoughts for most of this season and on reflection I still believe he is a clueless c**t . It's actually the most ridiculous period of management that I can remember at the club since 1967/68 which is as far as I can remember. Anyway be sure to monitor my posts they might pick up soon , hopefully.

Edited by OneTommyLangley

It's easy to criticize the likes of Tuchel, Conte and Jose, because we all have certain expectations from them and they have a certain standard. If they dont win a trophy or get into top 4, they deserve GTFO.  Here came this new manager hand picked by the owner ( who probably didn't know what offside is 6 months ago) , got paid at the same level if not more than any of the top tier managers, yet could get away with any poor results and performance, because it's some kind of long term planning. The standard that's in place at Chelsea for almost 2 decades has gone in about 6 months. Now we are being told it's part of a process, and only 4 or 5 more years to come. Let's face it, 60M or whatever is nothing to Boehly, he could easily write it off, maybe he even has a clause there to get rid of the manager on the cheap. He hasn't, because it's so painful to admit he's wrong on this. Wait for pre-season, let's see how he sells the mid table team to the US fans, and try to get an Amazon TV deal for a team not challenging anything

1 hour ago, nonotnowjim said:

Unfortunately after a positive start, the rot set in, and by the end we were getting shocking results, shocking performances and shocking planning for the long term.

Okay, so Potter gets all these excuses but Tuchel gets none of them despite having it far worse? Potter even had the nuts to complain about having to play midweek after we lost to Southampton while Tuchel had to endure the worst schedule in all of Europe last season. Predictably one of the very few teams who never got a much needed Covid-break on top of everything else.

Won 8 out of his last 15 league games btw, hardly shocking compared to what we are going through these days is it?

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

60M or whatever is nothing to Boehly, he could easily write it off, maybe he even has a clause there to get rid of the manager on the cheap. 

I think part of the reason self made people like Boehly get to where they are is because they care deeply about 60m. Yes he can afford to lose it but someone will pay deeply one way or another if he writes of $60 m pre tax. I agree he will hate having to acknowledge a mistake but another rule of business is that the past is irrelevant, its a sunk cost. Decisions should be made on the basis of future costs and benefits. Other than being regarded as a laughing stock in the British press, and no doubt by his competitors and "friends" the only reason to sack Potter now is if you believe he will make things a lot worse  for the next guy by destroying the club culture (winners) or ruining the player self belief. But in fact the good players will to a man stay good players and when things feel right they will show themselves for what they are. See ManU this season after many more than one bad seasons that they have had.

14 minutes ago, OriginalS said:

Okay, so Potter gets all these excuses but Tuchel gets none of them despite having it far worse? Potter even had the nuts to complain about having to play midweek after we lost to Southampton while Tuchel had to endure the worst schedule in all of Europe last season. Predictably one of the very few teams who never got a much needed Covid-break on top of everything else.

Won 8 out of his last 15 league games btw, hardly shocking compared to what we are going through these days is it?

Not making any excuses on Potter's behalf over the results that are historically bad. There is no denying that. 

But when you compare Tuchels situation and Potter's right now it is not comparable. There are so many different factors. We all know them.

Tuchel basically showed his bosses he is absolutely incapable of working with the new strategy and that is why Tommy got the boot. 

Potter's problems are far more visible to fans. It seems he has no problems with players, club or owners. All his problems are to do with first team performance. 

Tuchels problems with the owners were not that visible to the average fan.

2 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

You can't use the word shocking thrice like that, it's shocking.

What is shocking is the fact Tuchel was sacked straight after winning a London derby. For me it's the worst sacking by the club in my lifetime. I was hoping the Potter move would cushion the blow, but so far it looks like possibly being the worst manager at Chelsea in my lifetime.

4 minutes ago, evissy said:

Potter's problems are far more visible to fans. It seems he has no problems with players, club or owners. All his problems are to do with first team performance. 

Tuchels problems with the owners were not that visible to the average fan.

That means Potter's problems have a direct link to the nature of his job, he does work in a result-oriented environment after all. At any given time a manager might have those kinds of problems but when it comes to Potter, he has had 99% of the time 99 out of 100 problems that are related to performances and results.

If there ever was an award for the best candidate for sacking, Potter would be the winner of 2023.

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

That means Potter's problems have a direct link to the nature of his job, he does work in a result-oriented environment after all. At any given time a manager might have those kinds of problems but when it comes to Potter, he has had 99% of the time 99 out of 100 problems that are related to performances and results.

If there ever was an award for the best candidate for sacking, Potter would be the winner of 2023.

Exactly. He is a prime candidate for the sack by almost all performance metrics you wish to consider in the whole league.