Willian

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Hear, hear. His tight control is so essential to the way we play. Especially without Hazard he is perhaps the only one who can control under pressure and turn and move the play on. 

Admittedly he didn't do this as well against Arsenal (their pressure was intense) but those who don't appreciate him tend to focus a bit too much on goals and assists. 

Whats missed is the amount of goals we have scored from his harassing of defenders/midfielders that has seen us get the ball far up the pitch to set of attacks. But as you say, that doesnt appear on the "Stats" so doesnt matter.

I sense that without Hazard, Willian feels an obligation to be the team's main creative outlet and it leads to him "overplaying" on the ball a bit.

Truth be told, we look a far far better side with Hazard than without. He seems to bring out the best in both Willian and Pedro.

I can't help but think both Willian and Pedro tend to be at their best when looking for spaces and making off the ball runs vs Hazard who tends to be at his most creative on the ball. Hence when played together, Willian and Pedro both underperform.

That's just my opinion though...

On 9/19/2017 at 10:27, Spiller86 said:

Hear, hear. His tight control is so essential to the way we play. Especially without Hazard he is perhaps the only one who can control under pressure and turn and move the play on. 

Admittedly he didn't do this as well against Arsenal (their pressure was intense) but those who don't appreciate him tend to focus a bit too much on goals and assists. 

His tight control is probably the only good thing about his game, problem is he dosen't know how to use it to his teams advantage and it more often then not slows down our counterattacks. There is a combination of bad positioning, awareness and decision making that makes Willian give the ball away way to frequently and easy at times. I also don't think he handles real pressure all that well either, like we have seen against Arsenal and Stoke.

On 9/19/2017 at 13:00, dkw said:

Whats missed is the amount of goals we have scored from his harassing of defenders/midfielders that has seen us get the ball far up the pitch to set of attacks. But as you say, that doesnt appear on the "Stats" so doesnt matter.

Pedro is far better at anticipating and pressuring defenders.

17 hours ago, Theafonis said:

Conte binned Ivanovic, Matic, Terry when he saw they were finished -- he'll have to do the same with Cahill and Willian. 

I don't think Willian is finished, it's just that his weaknesses are seen a lot more when he is a regular in the first team. The way Conte used him as a squad player last season got the best out of him in my opinion.

On 9/23/2017 at 20:04, Theafonis said:

Conte binned Ivanovic, Matic, Terry when he saw they were finished -- he'll have to do the same with Cahill and Willian. 

Would have to massively disagree that Willian is 'finished'. 

I still rate him and think he has a lot to offer. 

He just needs a few goals/assists here and there to keep everyone off his back.  It's not like he doesn't get stuck in every game and give it his all, and it's not like we have anyone better to play in his position. And he hates coming off and being subbed, which i always like to see.

4 hours ago, brownindian said:

For the past few games Willian has been giving away the ball to cheaply. I am not sure what is wrong with him, it is not like he was doing it in the past few seasons so this is disappointing. 

He is the sole surviving "Mourinho soldier".

To me, it's clear his head was turned by United's interest in the summer and it hasn't yet returned.

I don't feel like he can be relied upon this season like he has been in the past.

39 minutes ago, startedwithglenn said:

To me, it's clear his head was turned by United's interest in the summer and it hasn't yet returned.

I don't feel like he can be relied upon this season like he has been in the past.

Well if he wants to leave, he can leave. No point in keeping an unhappy player.

Also lets not forget, his mom's death is still recent, he may be having a hard time coping with it 

2 hours ago, startedwithglenn said:

I dont think thats true.

Cahill, Azpi were Jose Soldiers too.

Just now, Zeta said:

He admitted in the press that he wanted to join Man utd, but Chelsea wouldn't let him. I think we may see the back of him in January at this rate.

Wasn't all the reports that united wanted him and he said no?

1 minute ago, Zeta said:

Not the one i read?

Ok googling it it was chelsea who said no but willian was happy to stay. 

If we sell him to united it'll be funny to see the perception on him do a 180 tho.