Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

big blue
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

If the latest rumour is true, I take it as a positive. I think even he knew he's been so poor, the potential suitors may not even put a bid for him at the end of the season. Just like half of the footballers out there, he flirted with the idea of joining another team for better pay and whatever else.. However, that interview he did where he talked about joining PSG/Madrid was way before the PSG game, it was the newspaper deliberately published on the eve of the match to f* us up

Then shall we compare Hazard to Neymar? Last season I was being told the former is much better than the latter.

If not, how about we compare Eden to CR7 or Bale? How about Ruez?

I mean we could lower the bar and compare him to former championship players like Mahrez, right?

We could compare Hazard to just about anyone this season and he will look the joke he has been this season.

The only winger in Europe who has had a worse season than Hazard is Adam Johnson and thats only cause pedo is going to end the season behind bars.

Or we could stop comparing Hazard to goalscorers because it is pretty evident that isn't what he is.

Hazard always has and always will be more of a creator. My point stands that if you take the players you have named and look at their chances created they won't be near Hazard's when he's playing at half his capacity.

I can almost guarantee that if Hazard was playing how he was last season you would be saying how much you love him and how amazing he is. Funny how people forget things so easily when it comes to football. 

Messi just went on the biggest goal drought of his career does that mean he's washed up now? 

Neymar's form has dropped massively since Christmas, is he done for and worse than Mahrez now?

I can't remember how long ago it was said, but Eden himself stated that whenever he has said he wants to stay at a club, he has stayed there.  It was said a while back by Eden that he wasn't happy in his performances, but he wanted to stay and win again at Chelsea.

Then, Le Parisien comes out with their interview, that had a few quotes in there praising PSG and how they are a team that top players would now consider joining.  The timing was piss poor, but he never once said he wanted to join them; merely, it was a tip of the hat toward how PSG were now considered a top club in Europe

Also, the whole "Rat" thing...Jesus!  Pure conjecture, and based on that, coupled with the Deity complex some have of Jose, some Chelsea fans turned on him.  Imagine for a second that Eden had absolutely nothing to do with Jose's departure, how do you think that made Eden feel?  One season he's worshiped, the next he struggles for form along with the rest of the team and he is being outcast and booed.  Cesc was seemingly one of those "Rats" too, and now I've seen folk talk about him being Captain next season - even though, by last season's standards, Cesc isn't in top form either.

I really hope that Eden is back to his best next season under Conte.  And "giving your all" doesn't always equate to just running around a lot. 

Or we could stop comparing Hazard to goalscorers because it is pretty evident that isn't what he is.

Hazard always has and always will be more of a creator. My point stands that if you take the players you have named and look at their chances created they won't be near Hazard's when he's playing at half his capacity.

I can almost guarantee that if Hazard was playing how he was last season you would be saying how much you love him and how amazing he is. Funny how people forget things so easily when it comes to football.

Messi just went on the biggest goal drought of his career does that mean he's washed up now?

Neymar's form has dropped massively since Christmas, is he done for and worse than Mahrez now?

Not sure how you think these comparisons help.

How many of the players you mentioned about poor form have 0 goals and 3 assists or less this season?

How many of them have ever had a professional season this poor (let alone at Hazard's age)? Kind of my point, people dont use one good season to prop them up as world class talents (well Mahrez aside).

You really think bringing up that Messi's worst drought only lasted less than 6 games (515minutes/90= 5.7) somehow helps your case?

Neymars massive form drop has seen him still net 7 goals and 5 assists in the league since xmas, compare to Hazard's 0 goals and 3 assists since the season started. You can see why I view these differently right?

Let's think, would a Chelsea fan be happy if Hazard was playing like he was last season? Probably... good guess! Yes, I praised Hazard last season and why wouldnt I again if he played that well this season? Ohh, you caught me there! Shame he isnt playing like he did last season (nor did he in his first two seasons here) which is kind of entirely the point, no?

f**k, I bet as a Chelsea fan you'd be w**king over Mourinho if we were enroute to a consecutive league/up double, right? Excellent, now I have somehow just proven that Mourinho is an amazing manager and we were wrong to sack him.

You seem to think that by me saying he isnt as good as many CFC fans think (one of the best in the world) that I must be claiming he is rubbish (and that would be an understatment for this season). I am not. I am saying he is very good (not bets in the world good or even top 5 for me) when he wants to be but not mentally strong or consistent enough to be world class. I dont know if on this forum or others, but Ive shown stats that put him in the same shooting/goal scored % are Ronaldo. He just doesnt go for it, this season he wont even take on defenders. He probably could be a Ballon D'or winner or serious candidate if he had Lampards mentality to go with his raw talent...but he doesnt, thats become pretty clear to me over his CFC career. I can only point to one season where Hazard would be widely (amonst even non-CFC fans)considered as world class and that was the season you cling onto to prove his worth, last season.

Your position is pretty clear on Mourinho so how can you cut so much slack for Hazard when his season as a player has been as bad if not worse as Mourinho's as a manager?

Speaking of football memories, how about the one where Hazard was here for multiple years and couldnt even win the Chelsea POTY, let alone BPL POTY, until Mata was shipped out and Mourinho brought in? You cant seem to remember past last season so let me remind you that the single season you use to showcase Hazard as a world class talent was the only season he played consistently like a world class talent at this club or in any top European league. Maybe thats why the team never had a sniff of a BPL title for 2 seasons (ha, 2.5 now) despite having Hazard in it sans Mourinho.

Funny how people forget so easily when it comes to football.... If your memory of Hazard is pure world class aside from this season, you might not want to bang on about the memory of others.

Edited by Barry Bridges

great post scott.

I don't think in terms of pure performance he's been notably much worse really than any of our attacking midfield players aside from willian. in terms of chances created and his passing he's still been effective. no doubt he's dropped off massively compared to the last season but the level of hyperbole is a bit of a shame. obviously his confidence has been knocked, and playing with injuries as well as getting major injuries for the first time since he's been here has affected his form. you can see it clearly in how often he's happy to dribble at people. but even so, we still look a much better side with him on the pitch.

as you say those quotes were naive, especially once decontextualised (sometimes intentionally I suspect) and I would add to that people perceive him to have subbed himself off when things have been tough which certainly has not helped- but in every case he's been out of the squad for a few matches at least.

naturally he's held to a higher standard as at his best he's arguably the best player in the country, and has won our player of the season award twice in a row. it is fine to expect more of him, but at the same time we should remember that he's got three really good seasons in the bank and has been one of the best players to watch that I have ever seen at the bridge. so perhaps he could be afforded a little more empathy than he's been getting in some quarters. I mean, even when he's injured people find new reasons to complain about him every week.

Edited by g3.7

I can't remember how long ago it was said, but Eden himself stated that whenever he has said he wants to stay at a club, he has stayed there.  It was said a while back by Eden that he wasn't happy in his performances, but he wanted to stay and win again at Chelsea.

Then, Le Parisien comes out with their interview, that had a few quotes in there praising PSG and how they are a team that top players would now consider joining.  The timing was piss poor, but he never once said he wanted to join them; merely, it was a tip of the hat toward how PSG were now considered a top club in Europe

Also, the whole "Rat" thing...Jesus!  Pure conjecture, and based on that, coupled with the Deity complex some have of Jose, some Chelsea fans turned on him.  Imagine for a second that Eden had absolutely nothing to do with Jose's departure, how do you think that made Eden feel?  One season he's worshiped, the next he struggles for form along with the rest of the team and he is being outcast and booed.  Cesc was seemingly one of those "Rats" too, and now I've seen folk talk about him being Captain next season - even though, by last season's standards, Cesc isn't in top form either.

I really hope that Eden is back to his best next season under Conte.  And "giving your all" doesn't always equate to just running around a lot. 

Eden Hazard turned up for the start of the season conspicuously overweight and looking sluggish. He then plays the whole season (apologies if I'm forgetting a couple of moments here or there) nowhere close to the level he was last season. Obviously you can say the same about Costa or Cesc, but both those guys stepped up and have had pretty decent second-halves of the season.

Now we all want Hazard to get back to his best, and I'm hoping Conte pushes the guy to be better than he's ever been. But I think it's massively unfair to suggest that he gets stick for 'not running around a lot' or because we think Jose is God. It is possible for people to look at Hazard's performances all year and simply think he hasn't done enough. That's a perfectly valid opinion to have.

Eden Hazard turned up for the start of the season conspicuously overweight and looking sluggish. He then plays the whole season (apologies if I'm forgetting a couple of moments here or there) nowhere close to the level he was last season. Obviously you can say the same about Costa or Cesc, but both those guys stepped up and have had pretty decent second-halves of the season.

Now we all want Hazard to get back to his best, and I'm hoping Conte pushes the guy to be better than he's ever been. But I think it's massively unfair to suggest that he gets stick for 'not running around a lot' or because we think Jose is God. It is possible for people to look at Hazard's performances all year and simply think he hasn't done enough. That's a perfectly valid opinion to have.

0 league goals, yea, Id say its a valid opinion to have that he hasnt done enough.

I thought it was Costa who turned up overweight?

He did as well. There's no excuse for it but the guy's contribution in the second half of the season has been brilliant. That run of 11 goals and 6 assists from Boxing Day has been the difference-maker in many ways.

A player that subbed himself three times this season can't be taken seriously by me. He is holding a spot for a player that wants to play for Chelsea, and his wages are huge. He is a mercenary i can accept it, but for 200k a week you should be working your bollocks off, he feels he is irreplaceable but he is mighty wrong. If he wishes to play again and doing his best i am ok with it, if he plans to do the same for next season he can f**k off.   

A player that subbed himself three times this season can't be taken seriously by me. He is holding a spot for a player that wants to play for Chelsea, and his wages are huge. He is a mercenary i can accept it, but for 200k a week you should be working your bollocks off, he feels he is irreplaceable but he is mighty wrong. If he wishes to play again and doing his best i am ok with it, if he plans to do the same for next season he can f**k off.   

He's subbed himself off when he's been injured.. You saw against PSG that he tried to play on for about 20 minutes. What is he meant to do, finish that game and put him out for months? The reason he's out for so long at the minute is because he's been playing on an injury for months. He's said many times he will stay and play here next year and he's been at two teams his entire career so harsh to call him a mercenary.

He's subbed himself off when he's been injured.. You saw against PSG that he tried to play on for about 20 minutes. What is he meant to do, finish that game and put him out for months? The reason he's out for so long at the minute is because he's been playing on an injury for months. He's said many times he will stay and play here next year and he's been at two teams his entire career so harsh to call him a mercenary.

Can't call him a Chelsea loyal either, how can you go from a Player of the season to a laughing stock within a year? Doubt he can blame Chelsea for not playing him, he has been playing when he was terrible and he was terrible the entire season. Which key player of any club has been this bad? Name one. He earns approximately 9.6 mill per season on salary yet he looked so uninterested in doing well for a big part of the season. Not only me but several pundits and neutral fans suggested he wanted to move, he is free to go if he wants to no one is bigger than the club.

Can't call him a Chelsea loyal either, how can you go from a Player of the season to a laughing stock within a year? Doubt he can blame Chelsea for not playing him, he has been playing when he was terrible and he was terrible the entire season. Which key player of any club has been this bad? Name one. He earns approximately 9.6 mill per season on salary yet he looked so uninterested in doing well for a big part of the season. Not only me but several pundits and neutral fans suggested he wanted to move, he is free to go if he wants to no one is bigger than the club.

Yes many pundits and fans have speculated he wants to leave, but i'm pretty sure the actual player saying he wants to stay means more than that. At the end of the day he's our player until otherwise and we should support him to the end. 

Yes many pundits and fans have speculated he wants to leave, but i'm pretty sure the actual player saying he wants to stay means more than that. At the end of the day he's our player until otherwise and we should support him to the end. 

Well mate you can keep supporting him of course, i supported Torres since he always gave his 110% and things didn't go his way at times. Hazard is not giving his best for this team, obviously his head is not in it. Of course he will say that he wants to stay after one goal in this season and zero contribution. Who would go for him now? PSG at best and they are not an upgrade on Chelsea.

Well I'll wait till you show me, I'd imagine no poster has said anything of the sort

When posters start saying things along the lines of "The club doesn't treat our legends with respect, he should be given a new contract"... I think they are implying that they do think he is bigger than the club.  That somehow their decision is incorrect because John terry.

When posters start saying things along the lines of "The club doesn't treat our legends with respect, he should be given a new contract"... I think they are implying that they do think he is bigger than the club. That somehow their decision is incorrect because John terry.

Ah so no one actually said he is bigger than the club then.

Cheers for clarifying that...