Cesc Fabregas

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

New Chelsea signing Cesc Fabregas has insisted he told Barcelona to let him leave, and they even tried to stop him departing.

Fabregas completed a move to Stamford Bridge last week, but he has stressed it was his decision to quit the Camp Nou.

The Spanish ace also says that president Josep Maria Bartomeu tried to prevent him from moving.

"I asked Barcelona to find a way for me to leave the club. The president tried to stop the sale, but I already had my mind made up," he told Cadena Cope.

"At the time, I spoke with [sporting director] Andoni Zubizarreta and the president [Josep Maria Bartomeu] and I told them I wanted to leave.

"Honestly, it all went really smoothly. I'm not leaving for any specific reason, if not for a multitude of different things, my own errors and that’s it.

"If I didn't think that I'd be happy at Chelsea, I would've never made this decision. Above all, I want to be happy both professionally and personally.

"[Chelsea have] great players - young and talented - and building a great team with new signings. I have no doubt I'll be happy, I lived in London for eight years, I have friends [and] family there."

Fabregas considers his work at the club, following 57 goals and 42 assists in three seasons, to be positive.

He said: "The statistics are not bad, but I know that in the big games these goals and assists have not emerged.

"I've spent three spectacular years in Barcelona with my friends, it was a blast and have won six titles."

The midfielder also denied that club tried to get Lionel Messi to persuade him to stay and added: "It is not true that (the club) sent Messi. Leo did not ask me to stay. Leo is terrific and told me to be happy wherever I went."

Anyone else still finding this a bit odd to sink in?

Like it came up on sky sports news earlier, "Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas"

I don't mean it in a bad way because I'm really happy he's here, but it's weird getting used to it haha.

Looking forward to finding out when we're playing Arsenal when the fixtures are released tomorrow

Yeah it really is a strange one, think it will take me a whole to get used to it lol

Do we know what time the fixtures are announced?

Guest RFC_CFC

It's still strange but in a good way.

For too long I've been dissapointed with our midfield options since Frank went off the boil.

I'm itching to see Matic and Cesc together, that's a midfield duo that a top club needs.

Not been this excited for the new season for a long time.

It's still strange but in a good way.

For too long I've been dissapointed with our midfield options since Frank went off the boil.

I'm itching to see Matic and Cesc together, that's a midfield duo that a top club needs.

Not been this excited for the new season for a long time.

Me either, I've genuinely got a really good feeling about next season.

Fernando Torres on the signing of Fabregas...

“I wish he could have joined us at Chelsea a couple of years earlier. He is a blessing for strikers; always looking to find that final, key pass. He's the type of player Chelsea don't have.

We're saved everyone, He's going to score 30 goals next season!!!

Guest RFC_CFC

At least he's going to be well rested for the new a season.

Gives him extra time at the training ground ect to get his bearings I spose

torres can f**king do one, can't wait until that twat is out of thjis club

I actually don't mind Torres, sure he is a bit crap for us but he is a nice guy and scores in Europe (and earns crucial corners).

To be fair to Torres,   that comment was true. We don't have a guy who could play the killer through ball on a regular basis ( after Mata left), that's why we are so short of goals, especially against smaller teams. Jose knows it too, that's why he signed Cesc.