The John Terry Appreciation Thread

Do you think with Frank playing for City now it takes Terry above him in terms of stature at the club?

I've always rated John as the benchmark but popular opinion has Frank as the no 1 I have found.

JT's been captain during our most successful ever spell, he came through the ranks here and he'll almost certainly retire here. He's one of our two greatest players of all time and he pretty much is 'Mr Chelsea' so I think he's always been in very rarefied air at the club. That said it's hard not separate his time from Frank's time here and despite him coming from the Hammers and going to City he's still very much a legend.

I think now that JT is leading us into another era of success (hopefully), he'll go down as our greatest ever player.

JT's been captain during our most successful ever spell, he came through the ranks here and he'll almost certainly retire here. He's one of our two greatest players of all time and he pretty much is 'Mr Chelsea' so I think he's always been in very rarefied air at the club. That said it's hard not separate his time from Frank's time here and despite him coming from the Hammers and going to City he's still very much a legend.

I think now that JT is leading us into another era of success (hopefully), he'll go down as our greatest ever player.

I'd agree with this.

Johns been at the top of his game longer than Frank was for us and has been a majort part of 2 new eras at our club...both with Jose. At 34 he is every bit as good as he was when he was 24 and that's a testiment to John's ability and attitude.

We all know Franks scoring record for a midfielder is incredible but then so is Johns for a central defender.

We were/are just lucky to have had the two players in their peak years who both contributed a major amount to what success we have today.

John-Terry-and-Jos--Mouri-008.jpg

John Terry admits he is “fighting” for his future as a first-team regular at Chelsea as the club seek to integrate a new generation of younger players, but insists he would not play for a rival team.

The former England centre-half opened the scoring in Sunday’s Capital One Cup final against Tottenham Hotspur and was voted man of the match after a typically-powerful defensive performance. The 34-year-old is one of only three players to have started every Premier League game this season but is out of contract in the summer. While no formal talks have taken place, he will be offered a new 12-month deal by the club to extend his stay into an 18th senior campaign.

His longevity is all the more remarkable given events just prior to José Mourinho’s return to the club in 2013, when Terry had been hampered by injuries and was reduced to a bit-part role over the interim stewardship of Rafael Benítez.

“That was not through choice,” said the defender. “The manager [Mourinho] came in, sat me down and made it clear if I worked hard I’d get extra years and would play, but if not there are others players who are younger who can play and will fight for the place. So I am fighting for my future, for my family’s future, and I want to give it everything.

“I don’t know how long I have left. Hopefully I have a few years left but if this is my last year then I hope it will go out on a bang. The uncertainty has helped me positively. The roles have reversed – you don’t have four or five years [of contract] ahead as you get older – and now the power is in the club’s hands. That has inspired me. I am fighting for myself and my family, and to prove people wrong. It doesn’t come much bigger than that.”

Terry has ruled out following Frank Lampard’s lead by playing for a rival Premier League club when he eventually leaves Stamford Bridge. Lampard left Chelsea last summer to join the new MLS franchise New York City FC before signing a short-term deal with Manchester City. Asked if would he sign for a rival if the chance arose, Terry said: “No, but there’s a right time to go as well.

“Certainly I am feeling great at the minute and it would be the wrong time to go. But there does come a point where it would be the right time to go, to say it’s time to move on and people will remember you that way. I have my little target to play next year but beyond that, two or three years? I don’t know.”

Greatest Chelsea player ever! John Terry is to Chelsea what Paolo Maldini was to AC Milan. Both remarkable defenders and leaders for their clubs. 

What a privilege to still be watching him play so well at the age of 34. It'll be sad day when he's no longer playing for us but until then I'm going to enjoy these moments with JT. 

Edited by Jezz

Jose Mourinho tells his media conference that he can "guarantee" Blues skipper John Terry will be at the club next season.

"I know what my board tells me and the player tells me and no doubt he is going to get his contract," said Mourinho, who agreed when asked if terms were agreed for the contract but not signed.

"All of these big guys are difficult to replace but you have to think what next and I think that is the best way to do things."

Terry's statement worries me a bit, he has at least 2 seasons in him!

Sorry Zola, but that is a bit of a sweeping statement.

JT is still one of the best around  - NO question. BUT you cannot say NOW that he has at least 2 seasons in him. He suffers from all sorts of problems (mainly back) and will be 35 next season. In football you can lose that key something which makes you a great player almost overnight.

I dread the day he does have to call it a day and do hope he can go on for a bit yet - certainly next season, but I don't think we can realistically look beyond that right now.

Letting Terry go at the end of this season would probably be the worst decision the club has ever made. Beyond that nobody knows what the future holds, however for someone who has never relied on pace, I think he's got years left providing injuries don't take their toll. Comfortably been head and shoulders over any other CB in the league and still one of the best in Europe.

Quite warming to hear him say he wouldn't play for another club even if he was let go at the end of this season. Must be very proud to be a one club man.

JT is Chelsea would be unthinkable without our Captain Leader Legend, someone else who agrees.

And while we're at it

In football terms, ‘world-class’ is an imprecise definition. Technically, it could refer to any player worthy of involvement in international football, yet representing the national team does not in itself make a player world class. It is more rarefied than that.

World-class has lately come to mean any player of exceptional ability, so that Raheem Sterling or Wayne Rooney would qualify, by comparison to their contemporaries. Yet that is unsatisfactory, too. Would either player be included in the strongest national teams in the world: Germany, Argentina, Spain?

So how is this? To be world-class, a player must be at such a level that he would get into any team, anywhere. Germany or Barcelona; Real Madrid or Argentina; Bayern Munich or Italy. Using that criteria, one would argue England has just one genuinely world-class footballer, and he no longer plays for his country. John Terry is world-class

He would make Germany’s team, he would make Real Madrid’s team. Even at 34 he is among the select few who would walk into any starting XI on the planet. Jose Mourinho told Kurt Zouma he would be starting in central midfield against Tottenham Hotspur just two days before the Capital One Cup final. It was exceptionally brave management, but Mourinho also knew he had back-up. Zouma would be playing in front of Terry, the master stopper and outstanding captain of his generation. It was a nuanced risk.

Zouma deserves enormous credit for the way he filled Nemanja Matic’s shoes but Terry’s influence would have been vital. Just as England missed him hugely in Brazil — Luis Suarez has never scored a goal with Terry on the field — Chelsea have a mammoth job when it is finally his year to retire. Zouma is 20 and has time to become a major influence at Stamford Bridge. Becoming the next Terry is another matter entirely.

Taken from. Martin Samuel
www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football

Edited by badenblue

Great article. Although the point about suarez never scoring while Terry is on the pitch, us a bit misleading. Suarez gave Terry one of the worst times I've seen him have, when we lost 4 1 at Anfield in 2011. I think he megged him about 3 times.

I guess even the very best have off days!

Terry is the best centre half I've seen in my 25 years of watching football. It will be a very sad day when he finally retires. I hope he retires here so we can give his career an epic send off. Captain. Leader. Legend.