Didier Drogba Returns!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Ok main points:

Jose didn't give us a bollocking- he told us to stay calm as we've never all played as a team, some played on Monday, others hadn't played much.

Gave respect to Shrewsbury in a non patronising way, just seemed very genuine.

He said he didn't need an armband to remind him that one of his main duties was to be a leader.

When asked if it is hard to still play at his age, he said not with these amazing fans always supporting me.

Then gave a nice clap to the Shrewsbury fans.

What makes me so proud when I see Drogba is that we watched him grow up as a man. Terry, Lampard & Cech were always good at staying emotionally neutral.

Drogba always seemed to lay his feelings bare out in front of us. It made him an easy target when he had his bad days, which there were a lot. But with everything that has happened it has made people more affectionate towards him.

We're very lucky that such a transcendent player is one of our own.

Yeah absolutely, he has completely matured over the past few years.

eating large slice of humble pie in shrewsbury right now...feared he was past it, but he's been immense over the past week...we genuinely have three strikers to choose from and while costa is no.1, it doesn't feel quite as big a blow when he's out...surely it means jose can rest him a lot more too

I think some of you people forget who DD is. This guy helped to prevent a Civil War in his country. The guy scored the Biggest Goal ever for this club. Yes he lost a step, but we should have known he could put in a shift every now & then. I was hoping DD could mentor Lukaku, but I guess the kid didn't want to listen. Oh well his loss.

Never doubted the Drog. He's been trying to get fit, hampered by ankle problems, hes a class act - loved the post game interview on the pitch, especially

when he praised the away support. What a legend - tough conditions today, gave it his all. 3 in 3 - did FT ever do that once in a blue shirt ?

Scored 4 in 2, 1 in the Nou Camp and then a hat trick against QPR

What makes me so proud when I see Drogba is that we watched him grow up as a man. Terry, Lampard & Cech were always good at staying emotionally neutral.

Drogba always seemed to lay his feelings bare out in front of us. It made him an easy target when he had his bad days, which there were a lot. But with everything that has happened it has made people more affectionate towards him.

We're very lucky that such a transcendent player is one of our own.

Summed it up perfectly. Nait. Hit. Head. :good:

That's a great article and it explains why Drogba is the heart and soul for the club. I must admit I was initially skeptic of bringing him back to the club but being aware of his top quality leadership skills and the footballing attributes he still has despite the loss of his pace in recent times I always had faith that he would be an asset for the side this season.

After mounting criticism in the first Champions League game this season against Schalke it's great to see him back on the scoresheet with three goals in three games albeit against weak opponents apart from maybe Manchester United which was a crucial goal in the context of the whole game nevertheless. I hope he can still play a role this season even when Costa and Remy are fit and raring to go. 

Ohhhh nooo if I only knew I would of taking a day off just to meet him ;((((((((

Only 200 people got in to meet him, was a fair few hanging around outside to try and get a glimpse of him afterwards. No guarantee you would of got in, so probably not worth the risk taking a day off work lol. I only just made it in myself!

Only 200 people got in to meet him, was a fair few hanging around outside to try and get a glimpse of him afterwards. No guarantee you would of got in, so probably not worth the risk taking a day off work lol. I only just made it in myself!

A legend he is I completely understand but it would be a delight just to see even a glimpse of him :) I will need to camp in two days before the next time he comes around lol

Those who so vocally doubted him on here were always going to get egg on their faces. Sure as night follows day. Though I was was surprised at one or two I thought would know better.

I was thinking this week on sheer aerial ability, I remember Wyn Davies, Alan Gilzean, John Toshack, Kerry Dixon, Marco Van Basten, Mark Hately, Karl Heinz Riedle, Alan Shearer, John Terry. I never saw Nat Lofthouse or John Charles and apparently they could head a ball and flatten a keeper, so they must have been tasty. But I'm my humble opinion Didier Drogba is the greatest header of a ball in the history of the game. EVER.

Edited by just

Considering the above comments regarding Didier's aerial prowess, it perplexed me that he used to take some corners. Not that he wasn't a very good in dead ball situations, but other players could have delivered a decent ball for him to attack. On the defensive side, he was one of the best at defending corners.

http://www.givemesport.com/429362-top-10-most-headed-goals-in-premier-league-history

He's very good in the air but doesn't get into the the top 10 for prem headed goals. That could be down to us putting in less crosses than most teams, or drogba taking corners himself.

Personally I think bierhoff is the best in the air I've seen. Jardel was pretty good too.

Out of those still playing, I would find it hard to put anyone ahead of drogba, falcao and Ronaldo are both good, but I'd still take drogba. Javier hernandez is good in the air size too.

http://www.givemesport.com/429362-top-10-most-headed-goals-in-premier-league-history

He's very good in the air but doesn't get into the the top 10 for prem headed goals. That could be down to us putting in less crosses than most teams, or drogba taking corners himself.

Personally I think bierhoff is the best in the air I've seen. Jardel was pretty good too.

Out of those still playing, I would find it hard to put anyone ahead of drogba, falcao and Ronaldo are both good, but I'd still take drogba. Javier hernandez is good in the air size too.

Alan Shearer is one of the best headers of a ball Ive ever seen, made even more impressive by the fact he`s under 6 foot. The power he could generate was frightening.

Tim Cahill was excellent in the air for his size too.

Phh, he was practically  a giraffe compared to David Speedie - Speedo used to get so high off he ground he would have to head the ball on the way back down!