David Luiz back at Chelsea

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

9 minutes ago, JoseBlues said:

Sure we will see in the next game if that situation presents itself. My memory of Luiz is sending all his free kicks to the moon during the end of his tenure and some time before it. I was at a point where I was praying i don't see him taking it because there was zero chance he was getting it on target.

I hope we do see him take them because it's surely one of his best attributes.

Was caught a couple of times but no more than the others at the back, the way he brings the ball out and his ability to split teams open with his precise long balls is a joy to watch. Cahill tries it of course but it ends up going out for a throw in or goal kick...

I'm sure our attacking players love having him in the side

Luiz on free kick duty is a lot like Drogba, he's either going to smack a shot that goes in or nearly goes in, or knock it into row z, unlike a Lampard or a Fabregas who may get a larger percentage of their shots on target, but a keeper is also more likely to save them.

Wasn't as solid today as on the weekend but still had a better game defensively than Cahill.

Edited by Jonty

13 minutes ago, just said:

He is the worst player we could have brought for where we need to go.

Some of his defensive decision making was beyond aawful. Our rivals are delighted he is back. Tonight showed why.

Not a defender. Never has been.

just, watch their first goal and tel me what Cahill was doing please. A dangerous cross is whipped in and Cahill gets out the way of it, without knowing what's behind him. Also, I take it you saw him lose possession in the first half and almost give away a goal. He grabbed the player who nicked the ball off him as well, so he was lucky not to get booked, or even worse. This follows what happened at Swansea so you'd think he'd be more careful.

I share many of your doubts about Luiz and he did have one particularly bad moment tonight but he's far better on the ball than Cahill and a better defender for me, though I know you disagree.

Edit: If JT's back on Saturday, as we all pray he is, it will be interesting to see who Conte partners him with.

Edited by Davey Baby

2 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

just, watch their first goal and tel me what Cahill was doing please. A dangerous cross is whipped in and Cahill gets out the way of it, without knowing what's behind him. Also, I take it you saw him lose possession in the first half and almost give away a goal. He grabbed the player who nicked the ball off him as well, so he was lucky not to get booked, or even worse.

I share many of your doubts about Luiz and he did have one particularly bad moment tonight but he's far better on the ball than Cahill and a better defender for me, though I know you disagree.

Edit: If JT's back on Saturday, as we all pray he is, it will be interesting to see who Conte partners him wit

Davey I am up a hill in Spain. And must bow to your superior internet connection. I will go with your Cahill twist though. OK feck him off, get him out, gone. History.

Now that Cahill is gone what do we with the proven defensive disaster that was David Luiz tonight? 

definatly out of position a couple of times but he brings pace and killer long balls, as I said before when we bought him id take him over Gaz all day he offers so much more and conte can fix his defensive issues, if he does we have a very good CB in him, rest of the season learning decision making and positioning with JT then him zouma and Christiansen next year is really not too shabby.  

3 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

just, watch their first goal and tel me what Cahill was doing please. A dangerous cross is whipped in and Cahill gets out the way of it, without knowing what's behind him. Also, I take it you saw him lose possession in the first half and almost give away a goal. He grabbed the player who nicked the ball off him as well, so he was lucky not to get booked, or even worse. This follows what happened at Swansea so you'd think he'd be more careful.

Edit: If JT's back on Saturday, as we all pray he is, it will be interesting to see who Conte partners him with.

Couldn't agree more, not sure how anyone who watched the game today could come in here and complain about Luiz's defending when the other 3 members of the back line made even more detrimental mistakes.

I think once JT is back and Cahill is off to the bench, Luiz will sharpen up a bit further. But it is already clear that Luiz is a league above the defender in Just's avatar, which ironic given his obsessive level of scorn for the Brazilian.

I'm not really sure if Cahill or Luiz could be considered 'at fault' for the first goal. Yes, Cahill should have taken reasonable responsibility to clear the cross instead of letting it run, but also Luiz showcased his lack of basic awareness when he let Okazaki in on goal. He was far too casual in allowing Begovic to collect and should have continued to shepherd Okazaki until the play was ended. Still, it was largely a 'freak' situation.

Neither of our Central defenders could be blamed for Leicester's second, certainly not Luiz who correctly stuck to Musa like glue. The 'error' was probably in Alonso leaving Okazaki to go close down Andy King. Andy King was no threat apart from a low % long shot, but Alonso and Matic's failure to reach him in time gave him a simple lifted option to the now-free Okazaki. Sometimes in defending the correct play is no play and had Alonso stuck to Okazaki, King would have no option but to try and beat Begovic from range. 

5 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

I'm not really sure if Cahill or Luiz could be considered 'at fault' for the first goal. Yes, Cahill should have taken reasonable responsibility to clear the cross instead of letting it run, but also Luiz showcased his lack of basic awareness when he let Okazaki in on goal. He was far too casual in allowing Begovic to collect and should have continued to shepherd Okazaki until the play was ended. Still, it was largely a 'freak' situation.

Neither of our Central defenders could be blamed for Leicester's second, certainly not Luiz who correctly stuck to Musa like glue. The 'error' was probably in Alonso leaving Okazaki to go close down Andy King. Andy King was no threat apart from a low % long shot, but Alonso and Matic's failure to reach him in time gave him a simple lifted option to the now-free Okazaki. Sometimes in defending the correct play is no play and had Alonso stuck to Okazaki, King would have no option but to try and beat Begovic from range. 

Agree with this 100%, id also add that maybe conte really laid into the team for not closing henderson down quick enough, which is why alonso incorrectly went to close him down. 

Anyway, luiz should have had at least 1 assist last night, he defended okay, not great, not shambolic though either. 

I dont think it is even close to which player brings more to the side between cahill and luiz, cahill has been getting worse for 2 years now, zouma will hopefully come back, and be stronger mentally for the lay off, and together with terry and christiansen, i think we will be okay at centre half for a while. 

3 hours ago, big blue said:

Agree with this 100%, id also add that maybe conte really laid into the team for not closing henderson down quick enough, which is why alonso incorrectly went to close him down. 

Anyway, luiz should have had at least 1 assist last night, he defended okay, not great, not shambolic though either. 

I dont think it is even close to which player brings more to the side between cahill and luiz, cahill has been getting worse for 2 years now, zouma will hopefully come back, and be stronger mentally for the lay off, and together with terry and christiansen, i think we will be okay at centre half for a while. 

Totally agree with this.

Luiz was nowhere near as bad as some folk are saying on here today. He had a few shaky moments but in general he was night and day from being anywhere near as poor as Cahill was last night.

Terry Luiz for me until we see how Zouma is looking when he is back. Cahill is just too full of errors these days

4 hours ago, Zeta Orionis said:

No-one can be surprised surely, we knew what we were getting. One game he can look world class. The next he's all over the shop.

I can't imagine for a second he was really who Conte wanted. He was probably our 5th or 6th choice.

I don't think he was an option at all. I'm sure Conte is happy with him. Few more skillful defenders around in the world.

16 hours ago, just said:

He is the worst player we could have brought for where we need to go.

Some of his defensive decision making was beyond aawful. Our rivals are delighted he is back. Tonight showed why.

Not a defender. Never has been.

Where do we need to go? Do you want us to remain a team with defenders with Cahill's technical ability?

What makes you think our rivals are delighted he's back?

He has shown on some really special occasions that he can defend.

Saw a post recently criticising Cahill for making "mistakes you don't notice". The little positional things that aren't really glaring, but they are there. IMO Luiz made an absolute ton of those against Leicester. 

Wrong side, too tight to his man, not tight enough to his man, ball-watching, wandering off from his position. There was even a moment where he tried to control a long ball first time as it was coming over his shoulder, missed it, and left (I think) Musa through. Defenders don't do that. He just doesn't think like a defender. I hope Conte can drill that sort of stuff into him. 

Other side, a few glorious long-balls. Could easily have had two assists. None of our other defenders are capable of that sort of thing. His athleticism is another level to our other defenders too. Maybe to everyone else on in our team.