Tiémoué Bakayoko

havelschayes
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Bakayoko may not be the answer but Loftus Cheek isn't either.

Two wrongs don't make a right !!!!!

I'm not against the prospect at giving Loftus Cheek a chance here, but what we can't do and I've said this time and time again, is put all of our eggs in one basket. We need to go out and buy a good midfield partner to play next to Kante, somebody who could do what Matic did but better. I don't think RLC can do that, and especially not Bakayoko. But I think RLC can definitely get some game time here, I wouldn't write him off just yet, he definitely has talent but he'll need more experience until he's completely moulded. I would suggest another loan or keep him in the squad but actually play him, preferably in cup games and occasional PL games. 

9 hours ago, sonic90 said:

No one but Monaco wants Bakayoko and I bet they're going to low ball us, we should loan him to any PL side that will take him to recoup a bit in loan fees and have another club try and spend the season getting him to settle in England, there is no room for that in Chelsea for a player at his level.

As for RLC he is probably ready for another chance as an option for us but the problem is we also have Barkley who is also homegrown and is more experienced and on paper a better player still. The new manager will surely choose him.

In a 3 man midfield you'd have Kante, a new top DM/CM maybe van Ginkel and Drinkwater on rotation + a creative which would likely be Cesc for any attacking manager, then you have Barkley on rotation and there's just no room for RLC.

If MVG doesn’t break through next season he never will. He has received rave reviews this season the stats are far from shabby and it seems he has excelled as captain which is interesting.He may just be the Matic replacement you talk about.

Drinkwater is a decent player but lacks speed his play is far too ponderous and I don’t think he will ever be happy as being just a squad player. Barkley I am far from sure about yes he is homegrown but he isn’t club trained which is something that does impact when naming UEFA squads.

Mason Mount seems a real talent but for me he needs to be tested at either championship or indeed PL level at a club like say Bournemouth  but I very much doubt he will be ready but it’s just possible that the club will be happy having him at the club and testing him in cup competitions. I will throw into the pot that Ethan Ampadu was considered by many at Exeter to be more a midfielder and within a year or two he would find a natural home alongside a creative midfielder. 

Cesc without doubt adds something when he is allowed time and space but his Achilles heel is his lack of strength and speed and for me that is becoming far more evident as time moves on. 

Herse something totally from left field and yes I accept his injury record prior to this season was poor but on Sky Paul Merson and Denise Wise were discussing the availability on a free of Jack Wilshire and they were both convinced he would add significantly to any top squad and if they are righ5 he isn’t going to take the offer on the table that will see his wage reduced by a big number.

Edited by terraloon

8 hours ago, Slojo said:

I'm not against the prospect at giving Loftus Cheek a chance here, but what we can't do and I've said this time and time again, is put all of our eggs in one basket. We need to go out and buy a good midfield partner to play next to Kante, somebody who could do what Matic did but better. I don't think RLC can do that, and especially not Bakayoko. But I think RLC can definitely get some game time here, I wouldn't write him off just yet, he definitely has talent but he'll need more experience until he's completely moulded. I would suggest another loan or keep him in the squad but actually play him, preferably in cup games and occasional PL games. 

Well said. Midfield is clearly our weakness but that in my view is because Conte's idea of football doesn't suit Bakayoko or Fabregas. 

Neither are true box to box players. Matic was better suited, which makes his sale all the more ludicrous. I also don't think that RLC is a box to box player yet. 

The key for us is to find another player who can get up and down the pitch next to Kante. We can then use Bakayoko or RLC more selectively or against weaker opposition to build their confidence.

Of course if Enrique or Sarri come in that will require us to rejig entirely and find passing players. 

20 hours ago, Argo said:

If we can only get a proper tune out of him with one formation then that in itself is a massive red flag.

Or if put another way, imagine if he was owned by Palace and we were linked with him, can anyone honestly say the'd be excited? Zaha has been miles better for Palace this season and when he gets mooted as a possible buy the reviews are mixed to put it kindly.

If we are looking at boosting our CM options from within, then MVG and Mount are the one's we should be looking at. I love the idea of RLC, but the reality just isn't measuring up.

Laughable. MvG can only do it in the dutch league. Did nothing in his prem loans yet RLC has looked great all season in a weak team battling relegation. Mount is incredibly light weight. Looks talented but lacks the physique for a top prem side. Needs at least a decent prem loan first. RLC is ready and would be perfect for a 3 man midfield. Even done it for the National team when given a chance. 

22 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Laughable. MvG can only do it in the dutch league. Did nothing in his prem loans yet RLC has looked great all season in a weak team battling relegation. 

So has Zaha. 

14 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Laughable. MvG can only do it in the dutch league. Did nothing in his prem loans 

In fairness MVG's only loan in the Premier League was to Stoke who had a massive turnover of playing staff under Hughes. They cancelled his loan after signing Imbula in the winter transfer window so he only had half a season there before going to PSV for the remainder of the season. 

Had a bad knee injury going into the following season and has been on loan from the following winter transfer window. 

He's only really had his spells in Holland for us to judge him by and by all accounts he's apparently had a really impressive season so he's got to be worth a look come the end of the season even if ultimately we move him on. 

I did say that we shouldn't praise him for the simple things, but you can definitely praise that performance today. Best performance in a Chelsea shirt for me, still a distance behind Kante but that's not the fairest of comparisons is it. 

Either way where on earth has this Bakayoko been all season? How can he go from looking like a League 2 player to a top 4 PL player? 

I saw why we signed him today. 

Yes, he isn't the most intelligent footballer and I don't think he ever will be but there is definitely a good player under the rough if it gets polished in the right way.

He has had a lot of stick since he has joined but he should be praised for today and if he can learn to play with that dominance every week he will be a great player.

Just now, PedroMendez said:

I saw why we signed him today. 

Yes, he isn't the most intelligent footballer and I don't think he ever will be but there is definitely a good player under the rough if it gets polished in the right way.

He has had a lot of stick since he has joined but he should be praised for today and if he can learn to play with that dominance every week he will be a great player.

But that's still a massive IF, he's put in 1 good game every 10 bad ones this season if you averaged it out. 

23 minutes ago, Slojo said:

But that's still a massive IF, he's put in 1 good game every 10 bad ones this season if you averaged it out. 

Yeah it definitely is a big if, as it is with every footballer and as with every footballer its as much down to his application as it is anything else.

And we likely won't find out whether he truly has made it until he retires.

2 hours ago, enigma said:

decent performance, nothing outstanding. against that liverpool midfield it's something i would expect. needs to put in more performances like this and better though. 

Did you see the turn and early ball out to Moses for the goal? Prime Fabregas-esque. 

7 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

He seems to perform in the big games. Best games this season are against Utd, Atletico, Spurs and Liverpool.

Also games where we have played a three man midfield I think. Means he isn't required to take on possesion from deep where he is a bit pants.

4 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Also games where we have played a three man midfield I think. Means he isn't required to take on possesion from deep where he is a bit pants.

This.

Most of the improvement came from a 3 man midfield but the fact that when he tried one or two more ambitious things it came off surely gave him confidence.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread I will give him this season but expect far more from him next and that for me won’t happen if we revert to a two in the middle and to be fair I think a three also suits Kante as well 

We have to get rid in the summer. It's been an unmitigated disaster. Whoever scouted him made a mistake. It happens. We need to cut our losses.

It's not so much the fact he's sh*t. He can't read the game. He's lazy. It's like he's been sedated.

There were Cup Final places up for grabs. He shouldn't even be on the bench.

It made me laugh when people said he played well against Liverpool, and there were many who said it. He was sh*t against Liverpool by any normal standards. He was by far the worst player on the pitch.

What must Danny Drinkwater be thinking? God only knows.