Willy Caballero

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 hours ago, nominator said:

I wouldn´t mind seeing him as our first team keeper, if TC moves to Real Madrid, as some expect him to do so.

that is crazy talk. He is a good shot stopper, but he is pretty poor at everything else like distribution, and commanding his area. 

You could sense the uncertainty in defence today because he is very eccentric. 

He's a good back up keeper, but I don't think he is better than most of the 1st choice keepers in the league.

11 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

He messes up some basics like catching the ball and punching away from goal but makes incredible saves and also a good penalty stopper. 

I think the defense didn't help him today as he saw way more action than Tibo does usually.

We have had a very tall goalkeeper for around 15 years now with either Cech or Courtois usually between the sticks. With their natural height we have got used to watching them claim crosses into the box with absolute ease.

Willy isn't as tall so I would expect him to find it harder to claim the catches in those situations. Hence more punching etc (we just aren't used to watching that).

Last two games though, he has shown he is definitely more than able to fill the number 2 goalkeeper spot (as he did at City last year too).

1 hour ago, sonic90 said:

He messes up some basics like catching the ball and punching away from goal but makes incredible saves and also a good penalty stopper. 

I think the defense didn't help him today as he saw way more action than Tibo does usually.

Re the defence we switched back to 3-4-3 so even Thibo would have probably seen more action today.

I think Willy can play a role yet needs the defence to clear the ball from set pieces rather than risking getting knocked over against big forwards. If that was his M.O moving forward all the defenders would need to recognise that.

That's simply because he spend more time on the bench than he does on the field

• 3 months later...

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

Must be a better backup goalkeeper we can get in the summer. Arsenal have Ospina and Utd have Romero. Someone of there quality will do me.

We'll never get someone as good as Romero to be backup. I don't even know what Romero is still doing at United, he's far too good to be sitting on the bench. He's better than most goalkeepers in the league.

Begovic was supposed to be that top backup keeper for us, but he was average when he played.

Finding a 2nd choice goalkeeper is hard. The problem is that they may look good for whatever club they were playing for before, but when they move to a top club, their game needs to go up a level. It's hard to improve your game when you're not actually playing though. 

You bring up Ospina, but he's got a few Caballero moments in him too, not quite as bad, but i wouldn't want him in our goal for a chunk of the season.

Most number 2 goalkeepers have these problems, there aren't many clubs in world football that will have a number 2 goalkeeper that doesn't make mistakes.

He's a good reactive shot stopper but you can tell he's really not confident about catching the ball, he was afraid of spilling it so he waited for the ball to drop to his chest when Charlie Austin is right in front of him.
Austin did jump and made contact with him, maybe by the book it can be argued as a foul as he challenged and did not win the ball but I don't think the amount of force would have made him spill it, that was anxiety and poor technique. It's the reason why he punches 90% of the time.

The second 'mistake' was the Redmond shot, he misread the shot to curl to his right when it went to this left, he moved to his right then realised his mistake and made a quick reactional save with his left hand. Boy did this look like it was going in on TV and to the fans behind the goal.
His sight of the player might have been obscured though so maybe he can be given a bit of benefit of doubt.

Overall he's a decent backup keeper, we can certainly do worse like Ross Turnbull. Almost every backup keeper gets slated including Romero and Ospina when they play and make mistakes. 
We've had it good a few times due to signing a new top GK and keeping the old one on the bench ie. Cudicini and Cech, Schwarzer was also really good but generally it's rare to have 2 keepers and nothing to complain about.

9 hours ago, sonic90 said:

The second 'mistake' was the Redmond shot, he misread the shot to curl to his right when it went to this left, he moved to his right then realised his mistake and made a quick reactional save with his left hand. Boy did this look like it was going in on TV and to the fans behind the goal.
His sight of the player might have been obscured though so maybe he can be given a bit of benefit of doubt.

So saving what was a pretty decent shot counts as a "mistake" now?  Shock-horror, goalkeeper does his job!!!!!  Weird  world, sometimes

3 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

So saving what was a pretty decent shot counts as a "mistake" now?  Shock-horror, goalkeeper does his job!!!!!  Weird  world, sometimes

That's why I put it in quotation marks. I even said his sight might have been obscured, but if it wasn't then he misread it and that is a poor thing for a GK. I praised him for his reactions and that came into effect to save him after probably misreading the shot.

Also the shot had power but was from pretty far out, maybe some keepers could even catch it.

Me after watching Willy's performance yesterday. 

Related image

His distribution was awful, looked shaky on crosses and got away with one with the disallowed Southampton goal.

I know he's been our cup goalkeeper but Conte really has to start Courtois in the final because there's no room for sentiment. Caballero looked like an accident waiting to happen yesterday... He's alright as a back up and would expect him to be here again next season because we really shouldn't be throwing money at a reserve goalkeeper when there's bigger problems to address in the starting XI... We'll just have to pray Courtois avoids any injuries. 

16 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Must be a better backup goalkeeper we can get in the summer. Arsenal have Ospina and Utd have Romero. Someone of there quality will do me.

I haven’t watched much of him, but is there any chance Blackman could be our backup at some point?

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Me after watching Willy's performance yesterday. 

Related image

His distribution was awful, looked shaky on crosses and got away with one with the disallowed Southampton goal.

I know he's been our cup goalkeeper but Conte really has to start Courtois in the final because there's no room for sentiment. Caballero looked like an accident waiting to happen yesterday... He's alright as a back up and would expect him to be here again next season because we really shouldn't be throwing money at a reserve goalkeeper when there's bigger problems to address in the starting XI... We'll just have to pray Courtois avoids any injuries. 

Agree with much of this but I would make signing a back-up a priority. This guy isn't good enough for the role, not at a top club, nowhere near. Schwarzer was a proper goalie coming to the end of his career and happy to sit on the bench at a big club, pick up his wages, learn from a top manager and possibly win trophies. That's the model we should be following. Willy is diabolical with his feet and in the air and Utd are a big strong side and Jose will do his homework. Courtois absolutely has to start at Wembley.

Edit: The reason I say we need to sign somebody is because back-up keeper is a key position in the squad. Sure, they may not play at all but if your first choice keeper gets an injury and is out for a few months you are bang in trouble if you haven't got somebody competent.

Edited by Davey Baby