Callum Hudson-Odoi

Hope to be proved wrong.. BUT....
I think he has royally stiffed the club right up the jacksey.
He's waited until we can't even get a fee for him so he gets the full financial benefit of being a free signing. Had he told us he was deffo not signing we could have at least got a fee for him (30m or so) but after the close of this window HE gets all the dosh.
How the f**k can this all take so long, it's unheard of and although i will be gutted and repeat I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like he's signing any new contract.

11 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Didn’t you know the club are waiting for the right moment to get a good bit of PR out. 

Edit: Or for the release of some new training kit in January. 

A part of doing a good PR is telling the story first. Like they did with Kepa for example. Good PR can't be not doing anything for 4-5 months. The longer time it takes for him to sign the worst PR it is because nobody knows why it took so much.

£180k a week, this is the reason why it took so much time. It's all about the money.

If true 180k for an unproven 18 year old wow just wow, this is reason I don't let football get me upset anymore because win lose or draw these guys get paid regardless. Those kids at United gave the other young English players representatives around the PL this mentality that they are worth way more than their ability before ever delivering success to the club at senior level. Once I saw lingard and rashford getting silly money I knew that would spread to the other top clubs

180k is what top players who delivered trophies were getting 10 years ago and they could ask for it because they delivered.

18 year old few PL Appearances and his representatives demanding big money. If his family is the traditional Ghanaian family he probably really don't have much of a say as his brother and father probably dictating the whole process.

I like the kid though

£8k, £18k, £80k, £180k?

What difference does it make? We want to keep our best youth players, we don’t want to see them leaving for rival clubs. 

We’ve lost Hazard and Willian and Pedro are in decline. Throw a transfer ban on top  and interest from one of Europe’s biggest clubs and CHO has got about as strong a negotiating position as anyone in recent years. That’s how Luiz wrangled a two year contract and that’s how CHO has got himself a contract making him a top earner. 

Challenge to him now is to prove he warrants that level of status and prestige. 

1 hour ago, Boston Blue said:

There have been more than plenty PR opportunities given our start to the season.  I think we can rebuff the PR theory at this point...…...

Can we still use the "a deal has been in place in principle for months and there's no rush to get it done while all parties involved work to dot the i's and cross the t's, because all parties involved know that the big picture parts of the deal have been agreed... and we should stop inventing reasons to slate the kid for a chance to set his family up financially for generations?" theory?

I'm consistently amazed at the selfishness of fans and their need for instant gratification when it comes to how other people should conduct their business. 

The only thing I ask is that each player gives their all while they're out there. Bemoaning a kid's character in reality shows a lack of character on our part. 

13 hours ago, chelseablueboy said:

Hope to be proved wrong.. BUT....
I think he has royally stiffed the club right up the jacksey.
He's waited until we can't even get a fee for him so he gets the full financial benefit of being a free signing. Had he told us he was deffo not signing we could have at least got a fee for him (30m or so) but after the close of this window HE gets all the dosh.
How the f**k can this all take so long, it's unheard of and although i will be gutted and repeat I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like he's signing any new contract.

We will get a fee as determined by an independent body because he was an academy player.

11 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

For real... he could have at least handed in a transfer request or something. 

He did but the club refused to sell.

20 hours ago, RJBOfficial said:

Not bad data, accurate data based on CHO’s (brilliant) performances

Look, I'd love CHO to be the next big thing, stay with the club for 10 years ,lead us back into the elite. But I also have a concern he isn't going to be that person and haven't seen the actual evidence he will be.

Your data says that when he played against Dynamo Kiev, he scored goals. That doesn't mean he can deliver week in week out. It just means he could play well in those games against Europa League opposition. It doesnt mean he's on track to deliver a Goal or assist every 67 minutes in the premier league. That's what I mean by "bad data".

My advice would be to stop obsessing over a kid who is chasing a big wage before he's even scored in the Premier League. If he turns out to be world class, he will probably be angling for a move every window. So I am pretty ambivalent about him. If he left next summer I wouldn't be too upset.

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

Look, I'd love CHO to be the next big thing, stay with the club for 10 years ,lead us back into the elite. But I also have a concern he isn't going to be that person and haven't seen the actual evidence he will be.

Your data says that when he played against Dynamo Kiev, he scored goals. That doesn't mean he can deliver week in week out. It just means he could play well in those games against Europa League opposition. It doesnt mean he's on track to deliver a Goal or assist every 67 minutes in the premier league. That's what I mean by "bad data".

My advice would be to stop obsessing over a kid who is chasing a big wage before he's even scored in the Premier League. If he turns out to be world class, he will probably be angling for a move every window. So I am pretty ambivalent about him. If he left next summer I wouldn't be too upset.

The stats I posted were just a summary of what he’s done so far which has been very good, I never once implied he would score every game in the PL.

Maybe people in this forum are a bit upset (wrongly) for him handing in a tranfer request, but the reality is he’s a Chelsea fan who could have left for a better Bayern side to be a long term starter, where the #10 shirt was promised, but he’s decided to commit. If you believe he’s going to hand in a transfer request after becoming established, then maybe you should look at last season’s stats before January to see why he made the decision, and it worked because his game time increased.

Ultimately he’s a top prospect whether you personally or others see it or not, and I could imagine lots of Chelsea fans changing their attitude towards him in 6-12 months like they did shamelessly with RLC

16 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

The only thing I ask is that each player gives their all while they're out there. Bemoaning a kid's character in reality shows a lack of character on our part. 

Fair enough, but if they spend a significant amount of time angling for a move away, or acting like they have no passion or allegiance to the club, are they truly giving their all?

5 hours ago, Andy North said:

We will get a fee as determined by an independent body because he was an academy player.

He did but the club refused to sell.

I think we only get a fee if he goes to a club in the UK.  Don't think we get anything cross border (and nor do we have to pay anything cross border, and we're a culprit in other cases much to the annoyance of Dutch clubs).

I am curious as to the message a large contract sends to others like Mount, RLC, James, Tammy... but it is based on what he'd be getting and what we'd be losing if he went to Bayern.  Assuming we'd buy a German CHO and give him deserved wages of, say, 100K based on prospects, the extra 80K is equivalent to a 20 mn transfer fee.  (80K * 52 weeks * 5 years). 

But it's pretty bad for wage structure and messaging.  I think Christian Eriksen is on 75K, and yes, he'd be worth more now, but this is pretty outsize from what we're seeing and cost of good academy prospects.  As most people here seem to acknowledge though, it's partly our fault.  We have to pay more since we've been so crap in the past at giving pathways for good youth.  That'll take time to repair.  

Finally, I am very irritated by his brother as agent though and providing a pipeline into Germany.  That is a toxic element that increases the bad feelings.

1 hour ago, RJBOfficial said:

Ultimately he’s a top prospect whether you personally or others see it or not, and I could imagine lots of Chelsea fans changing their attitude towards him in 6-12 months like they did shamelessly with RLC

What do you mean by that?