Callum Hudson-Odoi

We've all seen that BM put 40 mill on the table to buy him, 40 mill divided by 260 (# of weeks in 5 year contract)= 154 K a week so if you figure that to bring in another player of his potential/ calibre would cost at least 40 mill (if not more) then the club is in reality only paying him 30 grand a week on top of a fee to buy (if he wasn't academy product). So I'm very happy with the financials IF he signs

56 minutes ago, General said:

We've all seen that BM put 40 mill on the table to buy him, 40 mill divided by 260 (# of weeks in 5 year contract)= 154 K a week so if you figure that to bring in another player of his potential/ calibre would cost at least 40 mill (if not more) then the club is in reality only paying him 30 grand a week on top of a fee to buy (if he wasn't academy product). So I'm very happy with the financials IF he signs

Problem is, his teamates are not interested in the clubs economics. They'll just see  a young player who's done nothing whatsoever to deserve a wage 2 times more than what they are getting. 

11 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

The club announced an extension for a highly regarded youth player today:  Billy Gilmour.

I guess Hudson-Odoi will be announced in 48 hours then.

I was starting to get a bit annoyed at the continuous “48 hour” jokes but now I’ve come to admire your commitment to it.  48 hours then.

Where is this £180,000/week figure coming from? I still see nothing offical about him signing anything yet so I wonder how anybody could know how much we are supposedly paying him.

In any case, this is a player who wanted to leave a few months ago and we are competing with one of Europe's biggest clubs for his signature, so we should expect to pay through the nose to keep him. If we lose him then we'll have to hit the transfer market next year and who knows how much more that will cost us.

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 15:26, VG said:

I think we only get a fee if he goes to a club in the UK.  Don't think we get anything cross border (and nor do we have to pay anything cross border, and we're a culprit in other cases much to the annoyance of Dutch clubs).

I am curious as to the message a large contract sends to others like Mount, RLC, James, Tammy... but it is based on what he'd be getting and what we'd be losing if he went to Bayern.  Assuming we'd buy a German CHO and give him deserved wages of, say, 100K based on prospects, the extra 80K is equivalent to a 20 mn transfer fee.  (80K * 52 weeks * 5 years). 

But it's pretty bad for wage structure and messaging.  I think Christian Eriksen is on 75K, and yes, he'd be worth more now, but this is pretty outsize from what we're seeing and cost of good academy prospects.  As most people here seem to acknowledge though, it's partly our fault.  We have to pay more since we've been so crap in the past at giving pathways for good youth.  That'll take time to repair.  

Finally, I am very irritated by his brother as agent though and providing a pipeline into Germany.  That is a toxic element that increases the bad feelings.

I feel the same about his agent. Somebody is really milking this.

When you mentioned what the high fee says to the other youngsters I thought you were referring to how they would feel bad and want more. The club have a fine balancing act to follow through with here. At the moment the young players coming in have done well and CHO is not a nailed on starter. If anything he will struggle to get past Mason and Pulisic. I'm not saying he won't but his injury has pushed him down the pecking order while others have stepped up.

I know its what we Forum guys do but to speculate on what is happening behind the scenes with CHO is very difficult. Maybe this talk of £180k is being spouted by his team and the club are holding their ground at a lower figure. Agreeing £180k a week is becoming harder and harder for the club when the likes of Mason Mount and Tammy are firing on cylinders that CHO hasn't really shown he has. They, no doubt, are on lesser wages and must be thinking how does this guy get more than us? The dynamic of the negotiation was changed firstly by the injury and now by the other young players at the club.

I know CHO has shown a lot of potential and may well turn out to be top player. He may even turn out to be Salah or KDB but so could a few others. The club need to keep an eye on the wage structure but holding out for a lower fee helps other young players wages seem a bit more reasonable.

When I see the likes of Tomori, Mount and Tammy playing their hearts out and scoring great goals its hard to think about agreeing £180k a week for a player who has had the chance to sign a very good contract six or more months ago. If you consider that Bayern have bought Coutinho and are no longer interested the situation looks very strange. For me the club should hold out for £100-120k a week.

Apparently he played an hour in the U23s the other night and got an assist. If he really feels he's the best out there he needs to prove it before he can demand £180k a week at 18 years old. If he proves it he can renegotiate a new deal in years time but at the moment he needs to show a bit more of what Tammy, Mason and Tomori are showing.

9 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I feel the same about his agent. Somebody is really milking this.

When you mentioned what the high fee says to the other youngsters I thought you were referring to how they would feel bad and want more. The club have a fine balancing act to follow through with here. At the moment the young players coming in have done well and CHO is not a nailed on starter. If anything he will struggle to get past Mason and Pulisic. I'm not saying he won't but his injury has pushed him down the pecking order while others have stepped up.

I know its what we Forum guys do but to speculate on what is happening behind the scenes with CHO is very difficult. Maybe this talk of £180k is being spouted by his team and the club are holding their ground at a lower figure. Agreeing £180k a week is becoming harder and harder for the club when the likes of Mason Mount and Tammy are firing on cylinders that CHO hasn't really shown he has. They, no doubt, are on lesser wages and must be thinking how does this guy get more than us? The dynamic of the negotiation was changed firstly by the injury and now by the other young players at the club.

I know CHO has shown a lot of potential and may well turn out to be top player. He may even turn out to be Salah or KDB but so could a few others. The club need to keep an eye on the wage structure but holding out for a lower fee helps other young players wages seem a bit more reasonable.

When I see the likes of Tomori, Mount and Tammy playing their hearts out and scoring great goals its hard to think about agreeing £180k a week for a player who has had the chance to sign a very good contract six or more months ago. If you consider that Bayern have bought Coutinho and are no longer interested the situation looks very strange. For me the club should hold out for £100-120k a week.

Apparently he played an hour in the U23s the other night and got an assist. If he really feels he's the best out there he needs to prove it before he can demand £180k a week at 18 years old. If he proves it he can renegotiate a new deal in years time but at the moment he needs to show a bit more of what Tammy, Mason and Tomori are showing.

Why are you concerned about money ? 

We waste money like no tomorrow on total crap, and i mean total crap. Filling the coffers of other clubs, and giving them opportunity to dump their sh*t on us.

Now we are producing our own products like no tomorrow, products that have already won youth trophies at club and international level.

If we only ever bought 'proven' players, we would end up with a team of OAPs.

To hell with the money, i want the club to move mountains for our kids, no excuses now with Frank holding the reins, they will be used in the team and save us millions on crap from Madrid.

18 minutes ago, coco said:

Why are you concerned about money ? 

We waste money like no tomorrow on total crap, and i mean total crap. Filling the coffers of other clubs, and giving them opportunity to dump their sh*t on us.

Now we are producing our own products like no tomorrow, products that have already won youth trophies at club and international level.

If we only ever bought 'proven' players, we would end up with a team of OAPs.

To hell with the money, i want the club to move mountains for our kids, no excuses now with Frank holding the reins, they will be used in the team and save us millions on crap from Madrid.

I'm worried that paying CHO too much will upset the young players that are performing so well at the moment. CHO doesn't seem that much better than them yet he seems to be intent on demanding much higher wages at a younger age. Do you not think this is an issue?

On a slightly different angle I'm still not convinced filling the team and squad with youth is the best or only way forward. We did well against Wolves and Norwich but do need some experience in the team. I think Willians contribution to the team is important as he mixes it up a bit and his running with the ball frightens the opposition. He understands when to run with the ball and when to pass a bit more than some of the younger players. Don't you think a mix of youth and experience will surely work better against the bigger clubs?

2 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I'm worried that paying CHO too much will upset the young players that are performing so well at the moment. CHO doesn't seem that much better than them yet he seems to be intent on demanding much higher wages at a younger age. Do you not think this is an issue?

Ok let's say his demands are met, and we have to match his terms for other youngsters coming into the team, or more. So what about it ? I think its great value for money, will save us a sh*tload of £ in the long run, and even better it tells the rest of our young products, you have this chance as well. I like that framework.

The money argument is about parity with the likes of Tammy and Mason. They're already becoming/are important players for us and  played considerably better in their league games than Callum did during his league appearances last season. 

Edited by Dixons

Paying a lot of money per say isn't the issue for me personally. If you think you're worth it you should fight for a better paycheck. 

I simply think that if he's asking so much, the loyalty card is out of the conversation and it's all about business, maybe not all but 90% all about the money and not about the love for the club.

2 minutes ago, coco said:

Ok let's say his demands are met, and we have to match his terms for other youngsters coming into the team, or more. So what about it ? I think its great value for money, will save us a sh*tload of £ in the long run, and even better it tells the rest of our young products, you have this chance as well. I like that framework.

I'd love to see the team win the Premier League and Champions League with the current crop of young players but I just don't think it's going to happen. I'm even for bringing Ampadu back from loan at Xmas but long term I think we need to get some top quality and experience into the team. Spaffing money unnecessarily isn't a good strategy.  

I'm not getting a good vibe about CHO and question why he hasn't signed what is a very good deal already. It doesn't show a commitment to the club whereas others have just signed and got on with proving their worth. Why doesn't he do the same and prove he is worth £180k a week before demanding it. If he comes into the team and bangs in and sets up loads he can have it but until then the club should hold out. Lets give him something to aim at rather than just roll over.

20 minutes ago, Dixons said:

The money argument is about parity with the likes of Tammy and Mason. They're already becoming/are important players for us and  played considerably better in their league games than Callum did during his league appearances last season. 

I agree. I don't like the idea of throwing money at a situation when others are backing up their claim with goals and good performances. Its not sound management.

Maybe CHO will come good but he needs to buckle down in my view.

2 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I'd love to see the team win the Premier League and Champions League with the current crop of young players but I just don't think it's going to happen. I'm even for bringing Ampadu back from loan at Xmas but long term I think we need to get some top quality and experience into the team. Spaffing money unnecessarily isn't a good strategy.  

I'm not getting a good vibe about CHO and question why he hasn't signed what is a very good deal already. It doesn't show a commitment to the club whereas others have just signed and got on with proving their worth. Why doesn't he do the same and prove he is worth £180k a week before demanding it. If he comes into the team and bangs in and sets up loads he can have it but until then the club should hold out. Lets give him something to aim at rather than just roll over.

It's just business mate, it really is all it comes down to. We shouldn't judge him for this, we just want to see him play, and i bet thats all he is interested in as well. But the club and CHOs team have business to do and we should just wait and make no judgements on the kid unless their about on the pitch. Imagine if he becomes the next wonder kid Ronaldo, yes he has that kind of game in him, even likes the same position, imagine that, and we let him go to Bayern to save money. How would you feel then ?

11 minutes ago, Andy North said:

Maybe CHO will come good but he needs to buckle down in my view.

He has buckled down, he got himself back to fitness before anyone thought he would, just give the kid a break, he was playing great before the injury, considering he had Hazard in his position in front of him, he still lit up the team. 

You want him to prove himself before he gets given a hefty contract, fair enough, thats probably whats happening right now, he's waiting until he comes back and shows his worth, then he signs the improved contract.

If his agent not looking for a huge pay day for him, then the agent is not doing the job. If ( still an if in my book) is signed, let's hope he buckles down and do the hard work, because right now Mason is an automatic pick, and we still got Willain/Pullisc/Pedro etc. The fear with a huge deal at a such a young age is playing becoming entitled and start enjoying the 'good' life,  not saying he will, time will tell.