Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

AshB

He's had a fine career, what a great way to cap off what might be his last season at a top club.

He really wasted his best years at Arsenal though, it would have been great to have him when he was in his prime.

Shame he never got to have a proper send off by the fans. The UCL isnt a bad way to go though!

Good luck Oli - you were a cracking servant to the club. Brilliant squad player and bit of business.

17 hours ago, sonic90 said:

He really wasted his best years at Arsenal though, it would have been great to have him when he was in his prime.

Totally agree. I would have loved to have him at Chelsea longer, all those years he wasted at Arsenal. Shame.

On 30/05/2021 at 22:27, Bridging The Gap said:

If I came home after a 12 hour shift and found him in bed with the wife ( even tho am no married ) I'd apologise and leave. 

I believe I said something very similar in a much more colourful way after he scored that goal against Atleti

On 30/05/2021 at 21:27, Bridging The Gap said:

God am going to miss the big handsome bastard. 

If I came home after a 12 hour shift and found him in bed with the wife ( even tho am no married ) I'd apologise and leave. 

That makes me laugh, as I just watched the film on cable called Shampoo from the 70s with Warren Beatty and Julie Christie and Goldie Hawn...........

8 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Makes sense. 

If we sign a new striker I assume he'll be allowed to leave.

If we don't sign the striker we want then at least we haven't left ourselves short of options. 

At the minimum it means we'll secure a small fee should Giroud leave. 

Pretty much. He also seems like a generally great guy to have around.

Plus surely brings in no end of female fans...

48 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Possibly just so we can get more money. We'll probably still sell him.

No I dont think so on this Zeta and I am normally far more in the cynical camp.

While this deal is a surprise if we remember back to why when Giroud left Arsenal he turned down other European clubs to join us was because his family are very settled in London, as was he.

He also moved for more game time ahead of the World cup and Euros. He won the world cup and had the euros actually happened in 2020 it could have been off the back of him being the main man.

Given where the next world cup is and how old he will be he likely will be retiring from international duty after this summer I reckon.

He also clearly feels a big connection to the club, his team mates and fans and is a big personality behind the scenes and a professional. As well as a good target man option.

Think it is sensible for both him and Chelsea he sticks around now.

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

Possibly just so we can get more money. We'll probably still sell him.

If that is the case, good bit of business by the club to get a fee for him when he was going to leave on a free. Plus, if he ends up staying and we win the double next season (league and carbow cup or whatever its called now) then he's won it all at Chelsea, Add his name to the long line of players to leave that club to win silverware elsewhere

Its a one year extension and i think he is going to stay. No point signing then leaving ,that would just reduce the amount of money he can earn. I think it just shows we wont buy a striker this summer because there isnt a quality one in the market. WE will wait till next season when Hallands release clause will be 75Million and we will battle with all the big clubs for his signature

i would like him to stay at the club.. gives a different option.. will probably not complain about that much game time... loads of experience to mentor youngsters.. A UCL and WC winner you need that nous around a club.. will be an important part of our team next season maybe more for off field reasons..

9 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Its a one year extension and i think he is going to stay. No point signing then leaving ,that would just reduce the amount of money he can earn. I think it just shows we wont buy a striker this summer because there isnt a quality one in the market. WE will wait till next season when Hallands release clause will be 75Million and we will battle with all the big clubs for his signature

He didn't sign a new deal, we activated a one year extension that was in his existing contract. He might still stay if his options are worse than being third choice here. Either way I wouldn't mind.