Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

AshB

• 2 weeks later...

7 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

For me Giroud is a great impact player - and can be a useful strength to play to in certain games. I dont agree he should be starting so often though. Him in the team slows our play, and makes us rely on speculative crosses. We should pick and choose when to utilise, preferably used with another striker off him.

Always a tendency to lump aimless balls into the box when there is a target man up top, which is ironic when you look at girouds patch of recent goals. More cute finishes, and front post low finishes than any headers, and the biggest chances ge has missed, have been with his head! 

Giroud wouldnt start regularly for me though either, he doesnt have the mobility to interchange with the other attackers, so we become more static, and predictable, which was an issue at times at the back end of ladt season, and is maybe part of the reason the last 2 games, have felt very last season.

Werner or Abraham through the middle, Giroud as an impact sub. 

Giroud is just a superb squad player imo, you bring him on when you need a goal. 

I can see why Lampard is starting him, but I agree, I don't want Giroud starting every game, I still want to see Werner in the middle once more players return to fitness (haha like that's going to happen). 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Slojo said:

He's literally our only reliable player at the moment. You can count on him to grab you a goal, the rest of them, well they've shat the bed haven't they, turn up when they want to. 

Yesterday after the match I was thinking that he's one of the candidates for my Player of the Year vote. I never expected him to make my shortlist (so far anyway)!

43 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Yesterday after the match I was thinking that he's one of the candidates for my Player of the Year vote. I never expected him to make my shortlist (so far anyway)!

Every season now he's pulled up when needed. Under Sarri we needed him in the Europa League, without him we wouldn't have won that. Last season we would never have gotten top 4 without him, this season he's doing it again, grabbing the important goals that we need. You play him and he scores. 

What do we think guys and gals? Will Olly be offered a new deal? And if so, will he accept it?

Also it seems the days of a front two have long since gone. Any reason we could not revive it with Giroud and Werner? Seems a good combo.

Edited by axman2526

• 1 month later...