Jump to content

var


Kev56

Recommended Posts


The reality is that once again those that run our national sport have contrived to take a decent idea and completely fck it up.

Nothing highlighted more the hell in a handbasket direction our game is going in than watching England in the rugby world cup. Miked up referees discussing clearly with their video counterparts coming to a reasonable decision. Clear, respected, understood. That can't happen in football because of the arrogance of tw@ts like Mike Dean who believe they are superior to the players.

We needed VAR to clear up the travesties, the miscarriages, the Roy carroll's clawing a ball back from a yard behind the line, the Thierry Henry's handball France to a world cup finals. The cheating. We didn't need this to decide that if our players's nose happens to be 4mm longer than the defenders then he is technically offside.

The fact that a ball accidentally hitting a golscorers arm in the act of scoring is disallowed but the same contact to a defender is not an offence is another indication of how fcked up this has become.

And it's so simple to solve. All of it.

If our player's whole body is in front of the defender he is offside. Whole body, Clear air between them.  If his elbow, knee, nose of c*ck happens to be more advanced he's level and on.

If a shocking tackle goes in that the ref misses then call it back for a VAR red card check.

Ifa clear case of cheating, diving, feigned injury etc, then VAR for unsporting conduct and yellow card.

The rest of it, just leave the fking game alone please, before you suck the very life out of the reasons why we watch this game of ours

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I'm sorry @WhiteWall, I stranded mulling over your "hell in a handbasket" line :biggrin:. Is that an expression in the public domain so to speak or a personal one? Can I nick it, it's very catchy ::clap2::

Been around for a couple of hundred years... arcane but fairly well known expression https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_hell_in_a_handbasket  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

The reality is that once again those that run our national sport have contrived to take a decent idea and completely fck it up.

Nothing highlighted more the hell in a handbasket direction our game is going in than watching England in the rugby world cup. Miked up referees discussing clearly with their video counterparts coming to a reasonable decision. Clear, respected, understood. That can't happen in football because of the arrogance of tw@ts like Mike Dean who believe they are superior to the players.

We needed VAR to clear up the travesties, the miscarriages, the Roy carroll's clawing a ball back from a yard behind the line, the Thierry Henry's handball France to a world cup finals. The cheating. We didn't need this to decide that if our players's nose happens to be 4mm longer than the defenders then he is technically offside.

The fact that a ball accidentally hitting a golscorers arm in the act of scoring is disallowed but the same contact to a defender is not an offence is another indication of how fcked up this has become.

And it's so simple to solve. All of it.

If our player's whole body is in front of the defender he is offside. Whole body, Clear air between them.  If his elbow, knee, nose of c*ck happens to be more advanced he's level and on.

If a shocking tackle goes in that the ref misses then call it back for a VAR red card check.

Ifa clear case of cheating, diving, feigned injury etc, then VAR for unsporting conduct and yellow card.

The rest of it, just leave the fking game alone please, before you suck the very life out of the reasons why we watch this game of ours

I've always said the only game I've ever seen where I think VAR would have been good is the barcelona game in 09.

Every other game I think is just part of the game. If salah scored and was two yards offside, screw it. It happens. I'd get over it. 

(Goal line decisions are different). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VAR is taking something out of the game. As a kid during my first game at the Bridge I had never known excitement like when Ian Hutchinson scored the first goal. I had never seen grown men go berserk like that and it showed me how happy people can be. That experience is formative and not just the reason for going to football matches but a life experience teaching you how to have fun. Its important. If we hesitate when a goal goes in we lose something. Not just football. Young kids now will wait to see if the goal is given before celebrating. For me the game loses too much with the current use of VAR. It works for goal line decisions as these are immediate but delayed decisions delay the excitement. We currently continue to celebrate and momentarily forget about VAR and still celebrate goals but a time will come when people will wait to celebrate. It is human nature to gradually accept things and the acceptance of VAR in its current form would erode the enjoyment of going to matches. It cannot be allowed to continue in its current form.

I was actually a supporter of VAR before this season and thought goal line technology worked perfectly. It did but only because the technology was clear and the ref or somebody down at Stockley Park had nothing to do with making the decision. Where the ball and line are is decided by the technology. The digital image of both objects is recorded and when one passes the other the alarm goes off in the refs watch and the goal is given. No guy in an office 30 miles away having to decide when the ball was kicked or which part of a player should a measurement be taken from. This takes ages. It took over a minute on sunday and by all accounts this was quick compared to other incidents. A minute to celebrate and then realise you might be wrong to celebrate. The potential disappointment shakes you horribly and you question if you should celebrate next time? You also question if the officials, those present and those not, are going to make a fair assessment. I still think Mason was on side. The offside law was developed to prevent goal hanging and we have lost sight of that. It isn't there to punish someone who maybe quicker than the reflexes of a computer operator. I know before VAR we sometimes celebrated and the lineman had his flag up but an immediate decision was made and everybody learned to look at the linesman flag when a goal was given. Imediately. Not stand around for a minute and have a moan about VAR. The game loses too much when the flow is so disjointed on offside decisions. We will probably have to work out how to deal with diving and fouls at some point down the road but at the moment VAR's use on offside decisions is taking more away from the game than it is giving back. For the good of the game the technology has to improve.

Is it impossible for the technology to improve? I have thought about this and surely if all players wear a sensitive GPS sensor on their backs and the a pressure sensor is located inside the ball to determine when the ball is being kicked, somebody should be able to invent a piece of software to work out if an offside offence has been committed. It's not rocket science. It's far more important than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think the GPS locator would work based on the current offside decision based on any body part that can feasibly score unless they are going to wear three or four - not likely.

I kind of think the technology is running away with itself, the techie smart-asses are in control and risk ruining the spectacle.

I think they should be looking at blatant errors, shocking challenges and blatant offsides not looking for an offside 5 passes before the goal is scored - techies probably get a pat on the back, 40,000 supporters groan they are killing the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

People use to forget easily. Only 5 rounds up and we are already crying. VAR is needed. Yes, this version of it is taking a lot of the game, especially emotionally but not having it all would be a huge, huge problem as we've seen the last decade. We need a better, faster, more effective version of VAR. The decision should be made within 5-10 seconds, the offsides should be marked immediately by the system, so as goal that crossed the goal line barely, the throws and the outs/corners. All automatically. I don't know how, it's not my job. Put a damn chip into the ball, I don't care. But should't be very hard in 21'st century. 

Had it been the other way around, I mean the dippers score an offside goal, celebrate their asses off and then VAR interfered, you are telling me you would have been against it? Come on, don't be hypocrites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

If our player's whole body is in front of the defender he is offside. Whole body, Clear air between them.  If his elbow, knee, nose of c*ck happens to be more advanced he's level and on.

Get ready for players standing with their whole body minus an outstretched finger nail offside then :laugh2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

I don't think the GPS locator would work based on the current offside decision based on any body part that can feasibly score unless they are going to wear three or four - not likely.

I kind of think the technology is running away with itself, the techie smart-asses are in control and risk ruining the spectacle.

I think they should be looking at blatant errors, shocking challenges and blatant offsides not looking for an offside 5 passes before the goal is scored - techies probably get a pat on the back, 40,000 supporters groan they are killing the game.

It's hard. Where do you draw the line. 

If you have VAR for offsides. Then our goal shouldn't have counted. It has to be black and white. 

Which is why I'd rather we do away with it. Football is meant to be free flowing. Fouls are often at discretion 

I'd maybe view red card decisions as being the only thing VAR should be used for as they drastically change the game and can protect players. Outside of that, I'm happy with refs making incorrect decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still maintain that each team should be given 1 review per half which is lost on an incorrect call by the Team in question similar to the way VAR works in Cricket, in that scenario you get continuity and the teams can challenge any dubious calls. I couldn't see Liverpool reviewing our equalizer as it seemed like a perfectly good goal however I could see Leicester querying the Spurs 2nd goal when Son was caught offside as it seemed more marginal at the time.

I think it would give us a good balance between the flowing of the game and the incorporation of VAR, in this scenario if you cant review due to an unsuccessful call beforehand than it'll be down to the team management making a bad call as opposed to VAR getting flack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andy North said:

 

Is it impossible for the technology to improve? I have thought about this and surely if all players wear a sensitive GPS sensor on their backs and the a pressure sensor is located inside the ball to determine when the ball is being kicked, somebody should be able to invent a piece of software to work out if an offside offence has been committed. It's not rocket science. It's far more important than that.

gps is not accurate to the mm, i know a bit about this, even if you connect to 16x sat's, you only get an accuracy in the inches at best, in a football stadium i doubt the players would ping 16 sat's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I still maintain that each team should be given 1 review per half which is lost on an incorrect call by the Team in question similar to the way VAR works in Cricket, in that scenario you get continuity and the teams can challenge any dubious calls. I couldn't see Liverpool reviewing our equalizer as it seemed like a perfectly good goal however I could see Leicester querying the Spurs 2nd goal when Son was caught offside as it seemed more marginal at the time.

I think it would give us a good balance between the flowing of the game and the incorporation of VAR, in this scenario if you cant review due to an unsuccessful call beforehand than it'll be down to the team management making a bad call as opposed to VAR getting flack.

I would agree with that providing it does not slow the game down too much, I guess the ref would be notified by headphones of the challenge.

I guess the techie chaps would then need to isolate the debatable clip and then it would be down to who makes the decision ref or VAR team. I like rugby in that regard the ref makes it clear what his thinking is before deciding. That way the crowd know and also know who to vent their displeasure on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I would agree with that providing it does not slow the game down too much, I guess the ref would be notified by headphones of the challenge.

I guess the techie chaps would then need to isolate the debatable clip and then it would be down to who makes the decision ref or VAR team. I like rugby in that regard the ref makes it clear what his thinking is before deciding. That way the crowd know and also know who to vent their displeasure on.

I think itll flow a lot better as teams will need to be quite selective with what they look to review, at the minute everything is being checked which is stalling the game quite a bit.

I think we will see teams burning through reviews quite early in games which will most likely come to bite them which I think will lead to the Manager/Captain starting to be a little more reserved in using any reviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, coco said:

gps is not accurate to the mm, i know a bit about this, even if you connect to 16x sat's, you only get an accuracy in the inches at best, in a football stadium i doubt the players would ping 16 sat's.

I'm no expert and have probably used the wrong terminology. GPS is global positioning system and based upon satellites. I'm pretty sure somebody can come up with a device that identifies a sensor/transmitter within a football pitch. It just seems to be the obvious next step.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a good idea the one review per half, it does work in cricket, it would allow the game to flow,.

VAR could still intervene for a missed straight red tackle, mistaken identity, but for penalty calls and goals we go with the ref on the pitch, and if you feel he makes the wrong call on a penalty shout or goal then use the review.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally i dont think var should be used for offsides. Im not totally against technology being brought in, but it needs to be quicker. 

Why couldnt we use a tracking haweye system that maybe runs along the line? That way the offside is signalled before teams go on to score.

Waiting to celebrate goals because of marginal offside decisions that are barely in the build up, is just sucking the life out the game. 

I have no issue with using var for penalties, red cards, and mistaken identify,  because there is generally a natural break in play to get the decision right. 

Really not a fan of things as they stand.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


TV and newspaper coverage of football is based around alleged “ talking points” and any minor controversy as opposed to the game of football itself.

I kind of hoped that technology would eliminate the purile “ was it an offside/ penalty” post match debates ( eradication of human error from officials), but now the headlines are still not about the beautiful game but “ VAR Storm”

FFS. Gets right on me tits to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The emotional lift and momentum that ruling out a goal with VAR gives the opposing team & fans coupled with the let down of people that have celebrated a goal that won't stand has a direct affect on how the game is playing out.  A team under pressure gets a rest break from that pressure.  Referees aren't sure whether to play continue, or blow whistles.  I was someone who wanted VAR because I wanted decisions to be right.  But I'd happily go back to debating whether the ref got it right versus the way VAR has changed the way I react to a goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some posters are making it seem as if every goal in all this season's matches having been scrutinised by VAR, and we have to hold off cheering for 5 minutes every time, but has anyone the statistics on goals scored in all matches and the number of VAR decisions? What's the percentage we're actually talking about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It really does take away something. Every goal that's scored there's a niggly feeling that there might be a reason to chalk it off. Like one of the posts above mentions... Too many disallowed goals will result in inhibited celebrations from fans eventually. 

When a goal is scored it should be jubilation, not Instinctive cheers immediately countered by concern and then relief.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!