2 hours ago, MayosNoun! said:

Exactly. Regulion has played for Sevilla this season. A team who have won the Europa league 6 times i the past 15 years. Yet he needs to move to England to ‘test himself’? Utter arrogance. 

Troll alert.  Also I have no idea what sort of point you're making here. Reguillon is a RM player on loan at Sevilla. 15 years ago he was 8, so what Sevilla's European record has to do with whether Reguilon will settle into our league I am struggling to see

Edited by WhiteWall

1 hour ago, WhiteWall said:

Troll alert.  Also I have no idea what sort of point you're making here. Reguillon is a RM player on loan at Sevilla. 15 years ago he was 8, so what Sevilla's European record has to do with whether Reguilon will settle into our league I am struggling to see

Fair point. But look troll or non troll Reguilon would not be moving to England to test himself. He plays for Real Madrid and has now won a European trophy.

He would be moving because he is not going to get a start at Madrid with Mendy there and is good enough to play at a high level. 

Personally neither he nor Chilwell are the next Ashley Cole. This argument is a bit like arguing which beer is best between Fosters and Stella when both aren't world beaters.

6 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Fair point. But look troll or non troll Reguilon would not be moving to England to test himself. He plays for Real Madrid and has now won a European trophy.

He would be moving because he is not going to get a start at Madrid with Mendy there and is good enough to play at a high level. 

Personally neither he nor Chilwell are the next Ashley Cole. This argument is a bit like arguing which beer is best between Fosters and Stella when both aren't world beaters.

Agreed. The thing is my point about testing themselves was taken out of context by someone trying to imply that we are arrogant English saying our league is the best. This isn't true at all, it's the commentators, pundits and worldwide media that say this is the fastest and most physical league in the world, often to justify the fact that the latest import flop like Morata isn't actually sh!t they just struggle to adapt.

I don't doubt Reguillon's technical ability but whether he would be able to adjust to the pace, strength and intensity in this league is still unknown. 

I remember when Emerson came in everyone was saying that he was comparable and actually doing better than Sandro until his injury. We were actually getting a Sandro on the cheap. Yeah, right.

Real Madrid’s situation is different to Chelsea. They have a settled  left back. So Regulion has to wait. Real are keeping their options alive with a buy back meaning  that whoever buys this next  contract will get a discoun. I suspect Regulion doesn’t want to move to the uk. For Chelsea trying to build a team that can basically go for the next five years you may not want players with buybacks. The player may just see it as a job not an integral,part of the project. 

none of which reflects on his ability. I’d have to see a lot more of him but I liked he cut of his job on what I have seen. 

12 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Agreed. The thing is my point about testing themselves was taken out of context by someone trying to imply that we are arrogant English saying our league is the best. This isn't true at all, it's the commentators, pundits and worldwide media that say this is the fastest and most physical league in the world, often to justify the fact that the latest import flop like Morata isn't actually sh!t they just struggle to adapt.

I don't doubt Reguillon's technical ability but whether he would be able to adjust to the pace, strength and intensity in this league is still unknown. 

I remember when Emerson came in everyone was saying that he was comparable and actually doing better than Sandro until his injury. We were actually getting a Sandro on the cheap. Yeah, right.

Everyone would have to adjust to the pace and acceleration of Regulion. Just look at what the pace of Alphonso Davis did to us in the first CL match against Bayern Munchen. Even someone technically challanged like Kyle Walker can keep Hazard quiet with the pace he got. Reguilon used his pace to recover the ball from a fast Martinez (Inter), who was infront of him in the El final. He also uses it to ghost past players in attack and he has the technical ability to put in good crosses. Emerson and Chilwell don't have this kind of pace, that's why they will never be world class.

9 hours ago, comtrend said:

Even someone technically challanged like Kyle Walker can keep Hazard quiet with the pace he got. 

Hazard made Kyle Walker sit on his arse in the very first game he played against him at City!

Hazard had his number big time and Walker knew it. Walker is undoubtedly quick but has been embarrassed by Hazard, Dembele, Mbappe etc multiple times. 

Chilwell is probably not as fast as Reguilon but he still is lightning quick and much stronger in the tackle.

Okay. We sign Reguillon instead and he becomes one of the finest full backs in game with us. He heads back to Real Madrid for what, 35m or 40m after a couple of years? When his value could be 70/80m?

I think Chelsea have made a smart move going for Chilwell instead. We have potentially secured ourselves a competent left back, with the potential to be very good for possibly a decade.

What’s better, spending 50m on a English left back and hope he serves us for a long time, or spend 25m on Reguillon and leave ourselves scrambling for another left back in a couple of years time, which could cost another 50m?

20 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Okay. We sign Reguillon instead and he becomes one of the finest full backs in game with us. He heads back to Real Madrid for what, 35m or 40m after a couple of years? When his value could be 70/80m?

I think Chelsea have made a smart move going for Chilwell instead. We have potentially secured ourselves a competent left back, with the potential to be very good for possibly a decade.

What’s better, spending 50m on a English left back and hope he serves us for a long time, or spend 25m on Reguillon and leave ourselves scrambling for another left back in a couple of years time, which could cost another 50m?

The risk is even bigger because Marcelo is 32 years old, so Real Madrid could sell us Reguilon for 20m and then buy him back for 50m as soon as next summer because it just might be the last season for Marcelo there. Marcelo's contract expires 2022 so they will most likely try to sell him next summer in order to get some money, Real Madrid is known for not treating some of their legends so nicely anyway...

And we would be in a big problem, all the while Real Madrid got a fully developed player for 30m overall without spending much time developing him themselves.

A long term solution is Chilwell in that case, the first LB target for Lampard.

I'm a tad confused.  I thought a buy-back clause determined that if we wanted to sell the player, Real Madrid got first refusal at an agreed price, and that if we didn't want to sell him, we didn't.  I'm not aware of any contract law that says we have to sell a player we want to keep.

Have I got it totally wrong?

10 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

I'm a tad confused.  I thought a buy-back clause determined that if we wanted to sell the player, Real Madrid got first refusal at an agreed price, and that if we didn't want to sell him, we didn't.  I'm not aware of any contract law that says we have to sell a player we want to keep.

Have I got it totally wrong?

If I'm not mistaken there're two types of buy-back clauses.

One is first refusal where a club can decide whether or not to buy the player back a la Aké

Another is a clause whereby a club can buy a player back at the aforementioned price any time they want subject to the player's current club's agreement a la Morata when Real bought him from Juventus

A compulsory buy back would undoubtedly be a deterrent. One other thing that we might not like is the players agent Kia Joorabchian who has cozied up to Arsenal and who we might deem responsible for Willian turning down the contract. Then again the club may just think that Chilwell at this time suits our needs better irrespective of price difference.

33 minutes ago, comtrend said:

Inter bought Hakimi with a first refusal clause from Real Madrid recently. I don't see why we can't get a simillar deal for Regiulon, wich means we get to keep him for as long as we want.

The problem wouldn't be to reject other teams coming for him but Real Madrid that made the clause, in case they just pay the buy-back price and Reguilon wants to go back to them, I'm not sure we can do anything about it.

A buy back clause doesn’t worry me one bit. It just means he’ll play his heart out for a couple of seasons in the hopes they come back for him. 

We make a profit and get a couple of years out of a top performing left-back.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently he's signed for the spuds for £30m, let's see how he fares in the PL but I guess that we'll be inevitably comparing to our Chilwell... We should be well above them given the price of our LB and theirs...

I am surprised they went for Reguilon who is an incredibly attacking Left Back, they already have a suspect back line and will be interesting watching Aurier on the right and Reguilon on the left.

Appears to be developing into a very unbalanced back line 

20 hours ago, RMH said:

I guess that we'll be inevitably comparing to our Chilwell... 

Boy wont that be fun, the usual f**king idiots bringing up every little positive thing he does to insist hes better than our player, but then disappearing as soon as he has a f**k up or bad game.