Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

41 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Atletico failed to score with Suarez and J.Felix in the starting lineup today in La Liga. We have to take our chances, if we're not clinical we won't win.

Not only did they fail to score, they lost 2-0 at home to the mighty Levante LOL ! Just one win for Atletico in their last 4 league games ... a good time to be playing them !

51 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Needs to switch tactics, and tempted to go 4-3-3 for this one with Giroud on top.

This 3-4-2-1 with 8 players behind the ball is just about done. 

With T.Silva playing I think Tuchel simply must play 4 in the backline and not this thing with the back 3. Though I would go with the 4-2-3-1 formation instead.

I say we  match their 352

Mendy

Azpi            Tiago                Rudiger

Jorginho

James          Kante            Kovacic          Alonso

Mount                  Werner

This was a really poor performance today but I don't think we should blow it out of proportion. Since Tuchel arrived we haven't been inspiring going forward but pretty solid at the back, and we simply have to attempt to keep that solidity against Atletico. Let's not forget that today we removed many of the components that made our formation work over the past weeks. Let's return to

--------Werner--Giroud---------

-------------Mount-------------

Chilwell-Kovacic-Jorginho-James

---Rüdiger--Silva/AC4---Azpi---

-------------Mendy-------------

I can see this team scoring on Tuesday, because it has Giroud in it and two wing-backs that can put a cross in, and because it has Werner in it who might win us a penalty. So things are bright.

13 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Atletico failed to score with Suarez and J.Felix in the starting lineup today in La Liga. We have to take our chances, if we're not clinical we won't win.

We have to make chances to be able to take them. James missed the only decent chance we made from open play today, rest was horrible.

8 hours ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

This was a really poor performance today but I don't think we should blow it out of proportion. Since Tuchel arrived we haven't been inspiring going forward but pretty solid at the back, and we simply have to attempt to keep that solidity against Atletico. Let's not forget that today we removed many of the components that made our formation work over the past weeks. Let's return to

--------Werner--Giroud---------

-------------Mount-------------

Chilwell-Kovacic-Jorginho-James

---Rüdiger--Silva/AC4---Azpi---

-------------Mendy-------------

I can see this team scoring on Tuesday, because it has Giroud in it and two wing-backs that can put a cross in, and because it has Werner in it who might win us a penalty. So things are bright.

So we keep raining crosses in all night against an Atletico back 3? That team will get mauled by them becos they will set up in a 3-5-2 and overpower Kovacic-Jorginho in the middle. Not sure playing 2 FBs who can’t take on the opposition WB is a brilliant idea.

Not confident at all, handling Jao Felix and Luis Suarez? We've got our hands full. 

They did lose to Levante but they should've won the game, they by far look the strongest side in La Liga at the moment. I would say they even look better than the time they knocked us out of the Semi's, they won the league then. 

Be interesting to see who Tuchel goes with in this game, I have no idea who he's picking, I think he played Kante for a reason, we'll likely see Kante/Kovacic again. 

26 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Isn’t Suarez a million years old and injury prone by now?

He's having the season of his life, Barcelona were stupid to get rid of him. He's currently the top scorer in La Liga with 16 goals. 

They wouldn't be so far ahead in the league if it wasn't for him. 

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

We have to make chances to be able to take them. James missed the only decent chance we made from open play today, rest was horrible.

I think a part of it was that Tuchel is thinking more about Atletico than about the Saints too, but for that reason and for the reputation of Atletico being tight in defense we must be clinical, miss a big change and it counts like missing 2 or 3 of them.

Though I expect a different type of game and seeing that we play on a neutral ground this might be a very unorthodox game for us, I can see more than 3 goals scored this game, specially if we open up with Kante which would be a double edged sword for us.