Atletico Madrid v Chelsea (CL) Tues 23rd Feb 2021 20:00 GMT

14 hours ago, evissy said:

What a brilliant tie ahead! Win or lose I love seeing Chelsea play top European matches against top sides. The football is also much more tactical in CL. I kind of wish Prem was a bit more like that. Prem is all energy. 

I think the word you're looking for is farmers league.

3 hours ago, haviet1 said:

I think the opposite, this could be a very wild open game and TT should go for the offensive in this match.

What's Simeone like tactically facing a 3atb? He couldn't cope with our setup under Conte.

Wonder if that was an exception or the norm.

Don’t fancy our back 3 vs that lot

Dave (good but past it at elite level) 

AC (feeble) Rudy (dodgy)

You’d think Kante starts for some grit vs Simione team but that seems to negate the double 6 with Kova. So do you gamble Jorginho w Kova & risk getting overrun in middle.

only attack for us is wingbacks CHO more nimble but James maybe better defensively? Alonso will start though I’d use Chilly as he’s rested. 
Masons a shoe in w Temo & Olly up top. 

a draw will be an achievement imo 

get Silva fit for the 2nd leg 

Come on CHELSEA !

If you play Kante there is the option to switch to back 4 then you can play chilwell, dave stays as left back, kante jorginho kova. But that mid 3 didn't really work all that well.

So for me its 

Mendy

dave AC Rudi

CHO                       Alonso/Chilwell. Really tempted to give chiller another go

Jorg  Kova

Mount

Havertz          Timo

Bit of a narrow set up. Not sure if Havertz is fit enough and I for sure think he should really be in Mounts position, but to my surprise Mount has been the bright spark.

I think TT is going in conservative with a defensive mindset. So 3-4-3 with Kante, Jorginho and of course Kova in the middle. Since you can bring in 5 subs in the CL he can substantially react if the match doesn't go the way it should.

Eventually:

Mendy

Azpi  - AC - Rudi

CHO                     Alonso

Jorg  Kova

Kante

Mount    Timo

If Havertz is really matchfit I could see him coming into the XI but I highly doubt that.

I would go with this:

Mendy

Azpilicueta ; Christensen ; Rudiger

CHO ; Jorginho ; Kovacic ; Alonso

Mount ; Werner

Giroud

Having said that, I will be amazed if Kante doesn't start, and I also think TT will try and fit Ziyech into the team. Don't see Havertz or Pulisic in the starting line up ... you don't come back into the side after a long lay off in a match like this one ...

1 hour ago, weetee said:

I think TT is going in conservative with a defensive mindset. So 3-4-3 with Kante, Jorginho and of course Kova in the middle. Since you can bring in 5 subs in the CL he can substantially react if the match doesn't go the way it should.

Eventually:

Mendy

Azpi  - AC - Rudi

CHO                     Alonso

Jorg  Kova

Kante

Mount    Timo

If Havertz is really matchfit I could see him coming into the XI but I highly doubt that.

Going all out for 0-0

Whatever happens tonight these are the games you live for. 

Mendy

Azpi      Christensen  Rudiger

CHO       Kovacic      Kante     Chilwell

Mount     Pulisic

Giroud

Come on!

6 hours ago, General said:

You’d think Kante starts for some grit vs Simione team but that seems to negate the double 6 with Kova. So do you gamble Jorginho w Kova & risk getting overrun in middle.

If you get overrun in the middle against forget great team, even decent team you will be in trouble. 

1 hour ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

Going all out for 0-0

Well, not sure a 0-0 would be that bad of a result right now and since TT is know for his ingame coaching who knows how it really develops but yes, I'd think he's going in quite conservative.

I don't think Tammy is really the answer to strike fear into Atletis defenders. Giroud eventually moreso but he ain't no real goalscorer in my book - not against top opposition and especiall when in a possession based structure - so he could come in later if we really need a goal. My guess is TT will try to circulate the ball as much as possible and hope for a good run of Werner against a tough as nails denfense while also trying to keep Atletico completely locked down in their own half - hence Kante quite upfront to press the sh!t out of them combined with Werner/Mount.

Likely won't be an entertaining match but should be quite interesting nonetheless.

15 minutes ago, weetee said:

Well, not sure a 0-0 would be that bad of a result right now and since TT is know for his ingame coaching who knows how it really develops but yes, I'd think he's going in quite conservative.

I don't think Tammy is really the answer to strike fear into Atletis defenders. Giroud eventually moreso but he ain't no real goalscorer in my book - not against top opposition and especiall when in a possession based structure - so he could come in later if we really need a goal. My guess is TT will try to circulate the ball as much as possible and hope for a good run of Werner against a tough as nails denfense while also trying to keep Atletico completely locked down in their own half - hence Kante quite upfront to press the sh!t out of them combined with Werner/Mount.

Likely won't be an entertaining match but should be quite interesting nonetheless.

I'm not saying it would be a bad result, I just don't like for us to set up in a way that makes it the best result we can possibly hope for. It's actually risky to exclusively rely on not conceding and it certainly doesn't make it easier to play a team that doesn't need to fear our attack. Plus I don't think that's been proven to be Tuchel's philosophy so far - he likes us to defend by attacking, to stay on the front foot, which is why we've looked less challenged with Jorginho than with Kante.

I also couldn't agree less on Giroud. He's the most natural goalscorer of our strikers, particularly against top oppositions. With his lack of pace, strong positioning, physicality and height he's actually much more suited to possession than counter play, unlike the rapid Werner.

5 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

I'm not saying it would be a bad result, I just don't like for us to set up in a way that makes it the best result we can possibly hope for. It's actually risky to exclusively rely on not conceding and it certainly doesn't make it easier to play a team that doesn't need to fear our attack. Plus I don't think that's been proven to be Tuchel's philosophy so far - he likes us to defend by attacking, to stay on the front foot, which is why we've looked less challenged with Jorginho than with Kante.

I also couldn't agree less on Giroud. He's the most natural goalscorer of our strikers, particularly against top oppositions. With his lack of pace, strong positioning, physicality and height he's actually much more suited to possession than counter play, unlike the rapid Werner.

Then that was a bit of a misunderstanding. I defo agree about the attacking to defend approach. And I'd think Kante can do great that way imo - as much as Werner.

Of course Giroud scores a ton of goals and I have to admit that I haven't watched him that much lately but I'd argue that he works best in a system France was playing as a sort of target man or maybe Barca. Of course I wouldn't feel bad if he starts but I can imagine Kante starting along with Jorginho and Kova to dominate the CM and press as hard as possible to enforce some errors in Atletis defensive system and to quickly react with Werner and CHO and a Mount to some extent who may not be the fastest but can think and react quick. And with that in mind I wouldn't chose Giroud as a starter. But anyway, the great thing about the squad is that it is so versatile somehow (makes it hard to manage as well) so who knows about Havertz or Zyiech for example. If they trained exceptionally well they'd offer even more possibilies. But that be risky since they haven't really played that much at all under TT so far so I doubt he'll try that out in a starting XI in a k.o. match after joing the club about 4 weeks ago. 

Anyway, looking forward! No idea about Atleticos form really.  

Maybe TT is going with another Jose tactic in saying Silva isn't ready when actually he is. Hope so.

Similar to the Spurs game, it looks a good time to be playing them. They haven't had a good February. Only 5 points taken from 12 and they haven't played any of the top teams in that run. They also haven't kept a clean sheet in their last 7 games.

4 hours ago, Bluesince66 said:

Match day,major test for the boys,but I for one don't feel we are totally out of the tie,as Greavsie said "Footballs a funny old game".

FB_IMG_1614070639714.jpg

Did they really have to show the 4 sh*ttest players of the season? What a way to get hyped! Thanks Chelsea!!

i just cant see us scoring a goal in this game, we can barely create against the lesser Premier League teams so how will we get anything against one of the best defenses in europe.