Manchester City vs Chelsea (FA Cup) Sat 20th April 2024 17:15 GMT

1 hour ago, WhiteWall said:

I think what also gets overlooked is that not only does Jackson use up our few opportunities with his appalling finishing, it also sucks all the energy and confidence out of the rest of the team. It gets to point where the rest of the team start losing belief.

Very good point. Totally agree.

Back from the game. I feel flat and frustrated. No answers really.

We were the better side. City didn't worry me once. I was expecting us to score.

Jackson was good but his finishing was criminal.

Enzo and Caicedo were utter trash for 100m players.

Gallagher limited on the wing.

Sell Chilwell, he can't see a pass in time.

Sell Mudryk. He's an Olympic sprinter, not a footballer.

That is all.

1 minute ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Back from the game. I feel flat and frustrated. No answers really.

We were the better side. City didn't worry me once. I was expecting us to score.

Jackson was good but his finishing was criminal.

Enzo and Caicedo were utter trash for 100m players.

Gallagher limited on the wing.

Sell Chilwell, he can't see a pass in time.

Sell Mudryk. He's an Olympic sprinter, not a footballer.

That is all.

I agree with all that, except that I can’t help but feel criminal finishing negates anything good a striker does. His best contribution was a cross for which he should have been on the end of. Of course, he’d have missed it anyway…

7 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I agree with all that, except that I can’t help but feel criminal finishing negates anything good a striker does. His best contribution was a cross for which he should have been on the end of. Of course, he’d have missed it anyway…

He got me off my seat with hope when he managed to turn from the half way line and drive towards goal. Absolutely shocking finishing though. Unforgivable!!!! 

13 minutes ago, just said:

Centre forwards win you games. We don't have one.

And in an attempt to defend Jackson a bit it's not his fault he is being asked to job he can't do.

He isn't a centre forward. He isn't a top quality footballer.  He has a semi decent  career ahead of him playing for Tranmere or Dundee, probably as a winger. But playing at centre forward in the Premier League (or in the highest rank of any of the top flight leagues) is beyond him. 

But its not his fault we were duped into  signing him. Whose decision it was is probably debatable but the whole approach to our squad building has been piss poor for many seasons.

I thought the game was great until Gusto went off injured: we completely defined the terms of engagement. Pep wanted control and we wanted chaos, and the game was nothing but chaotic until the subs. It took all of five minutes once we no longer had a wide threat (I'm sure @just is furious that Poch took Madueke off) and we couldn't command as much of the pitch (i.e. less chaos).

Honestly when I was trying to think of ways to mitigate Cucurella's 'run towards the ball no matter what' philosophy, I would never have considered that the answer might have been 'if everybody else does it too'.

I can respect Poch for seeing that Pep 'boring' Guardiola values order over all else and only sees possession as a protective or defensive measure. The game was nothing if not entertaining. Pochettino has a full head of hair; to quote Mourinho, "He's got a bald head. Guardiola doesn't enjoy football."

Unlucky for both Cucurella and Silva on the goal. 

Marc throws himself at the shot and it happens to deflect past Silva and in, rather than wide.

And Marc had missed the ball, would have Silva blocked it. Hmm.

That was a great opportunity to finally beat City, especially with No Haaland. As usual, we found a way to blew it. They were there for the taking, we just couldn't pull the trigger. Poch was hesitant as usual with the subs, maybe he's waiting for City to tire themselves out or the PK lottery. Jackson is Jackson, in a big game like this you want a Giroud or a Costa, let alone Drogba. Defensively, we were always going to give a goal away. So again, why was Poch so comfortable just let the game drift along when we had a chance to knock them down?

At least it's not a final. Being a Poch's team, wouldn't be surprised if we get beaten by Conventry even if we somehows make the final.

1 hour ago, loz said:

And in an attempt to defend Jackson a bit it's not his fault he is being asked to job he can't do.

He isn't a centre forward. He isn't a top quality footballer.  He has a semi decent  career ahead of him playing for Tranmere or Dundee, probably as a winger. But playing at centre forward in the Premier League (or in the highest rank of any of the top flight leagues) is beyond him.

No sorry. I understand you are upset about the loss but thats absolute tripe. Jackson is 22 years old being asked to play in a position which is not his favoured in his very first season in the toughest domestic league in the world.  Hes a very promising player and formiddable on the wing. His finishing lets him down at times but he has all the potential to be an important part of out squad going forward. Dundee or tranmere 😆, you are confusing jackson for broja.

5 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

It has nothing to do with personnel. He can overload the right side of the pitch and give city less space and time forcing them to play back into the centre. Instead, he makes like to like substitutions and keeps the same tactics and Doku continues to over run the right side. This unfortunately is the difference between title winning manager and one who isnt.

What is this? This is not fifa, you can't just say let's change the way we play in the middle of a game. 

What do you want poch to do in term of sub? 

3 hours ago, just said:

I'm really not sure what Cucurella is. But he sure isn't a defender. Tuchel landed us with some God awful signings and "The Poodle" is right up there with the worst.

The worst part is we are stuck with him and you can't move him because of his fee and salary. 

Went into this game with no expectation given City was the opponent.

Had our opportunities to win, but we were not clinical enough in front of goal unfortunately.

Weirdly don’t feel that bad we’re out now. Maybe all the recent cup final losses over the years has taken the excitement out of playing in a final.

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

That was a great opportunity to finally beat City, especially with No Haaland. As usual, we found a way to blew it. They were there for the taking, we just couldn't pull the trigger. Poch was hesitant as usual with the subs, maybe he's waiting for City to tire themselves out or the PK lottery. Jackson is Jackson, in a big game like this you want a Giroud or a Costa, let alone Drogba. Defensively, we were always going to give a goal away. So again, why was Poch so comfortable just let the game drift along when we had a chance to knock them down?

At least it's not a final. Being a Poch's team, wouldn't be surprised if we get beaten by Conventry even if we somehows make the final.

If I am poch I will be hesitant. What I have in sub is ill steeling, not fit Chilwell, not fit chuku and Mudryk 

1 minute ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Chilwell and Carney weren’t fit as subs? They’ve been back for weeks. 

Normal stuff. This is what happen when the player have injury after injury, basically you will need to ramp up player conditioning slowly. 

2 minutes ago, Bob stark said:

Normal stuff. This is what happen when the player have injury after injury, basically you will need to ramp up player conditioning slowly. 

Chilwell sure but Carney came off the bench the last 3 matches and played 20 minutes in all 3. 

Bizarre not to bring him on when we needed more quality. 

OK it hurts this morning, we played some good football against the best team in Europe but came up short at Wem-ber-ley again. What I take from the game is that the team is progressing, we were a mix of very unlucky and self destructive. Simply put we will never win big games when we don't take our chances, and I'm afraid I have to lay much of the blame today with that man Jackson. Not once did I feel he would score in his two one on ones, he just looks lost in these situations. His final touch, be it a shot or pass, really negates the often good work he does before. Sad really. Jackson needs to go out on loan to the Championship next season and learn how to take his chances against lesser teams. He's killing us right now.