Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Torres can score when he doesnt have time to think about it. When he has too much time he usually fluffs it.

I think that shows that his only real problem is confidence, nothing to do with his loss of pace or fitness. His confidence is absolutely shot.

Torres can score when he doesnt have time to think about it. When he has too much time he usually fluffs it.

Been saying this for a while. That's why he should stay lurking around the box and stop going all over the place because he usually loses the ball. 

Given an instinctive opportunity he has shown he can still do it. Its incredibly frustrating, as he still has talent underneath it all, but we cant seem to utilise him to best of his strengths, despite bending over backwards and buying lots of creative players / selling all other strikers to accommodate him. 

I would still be in favour of selling him because I think his good performances and goals will continue to be few and far between

Edited by Zola

Been saying this for a while. That's why he should stay lurking around the box and stop going all over the place because he usually loses the ball. 

Given an instinctive opportunity he has shown he can still do it. Its incredibly frustrating, as he still has talent underneath it all, but we cant seem to utilise him to best of his strengths, despite bending over backwards and buying lots of creative players / selling all other strikers to accommodate him. 

I would still be in favour of selling him because I think his good performances and goals will continue to be few and far between

i agree, however, if he plays to the width of the box and tries to poach goals, then he is accused of not trying by the press and even some fans. If he goes out wide or comes deep he is accused of not being in the right areas and being scared of getting an oppertunity. It really is catch 22 at the moment. Yesterdays finish, his header against villa, the peach against newcastle, his goals agaisnt sunderland (not the pen) and arsenal all show that when playing on instinct he can still finish really well....It is just that these chances are coming few and far between

His touch and positioning annoy me more than his shooting to be honest.  It must be infuriating for Mata and Hazard to see their beautiful buildup work ruined by one of his poor touches; and for the fullbacks/wingers knocking crosses in with Torres somewhere around the halfway line.  I don't understand how his touch can be so poor, they spend all day working on these skills in training.  You watch Mata charm a ball down from behind him and slot a goal home with the composure of a neurosurgeon when he's in the box.  The thing just ricochets off Torres half the time.  

Completely agree as shown with his great instinctive finishes against Sunderland, Villa and Brentford.

One thing i don't agree with however is some of our supporters who, as it seems, would rather us out of the FA cup than see Torres score

You watch Mata charm a ball down from behind him and slot a goal home with the composure of a neurosurgeon when he's in the box. 

Lets not go overboard here. Matas finishing is far from perfect. He has missed a lot of clear cut chances this season

Lets not go overboard here. Matas finishing is far from perfect. He has missed a lot of clear cut chances this season

Mata also isn't a striker and my emphasis was on his touch, which is undeniably sublime.  When he gets into the box he usually gets it on target as well.  His shooting has improved a lot from last season and my only major criticism would be that he can't shoot with much significant power. 

Edit: Like this

chelsea-1-0-arsenal.gif

While the shot is excellent his positioning and touch are what makes this.  Torres could make that shot, but he wouldn't find that space to begin with nor would he be able to control that ball.  I think that's actually him by the referee...

Edited by Castiel

Torres has improved a heck of a lot lately - I think the manager is justified in starting Torres rather than Ba right now, given the poor recent form of the latter. Torres is back to his best!

And you scoucers wonder why you're the running joke of the premier league.  Go troll Redcafe. 

Did you miss the part where he saved us from humilation against Brentford? No wind up intended, he gave a quality performance.

Shouldn't you be saying "saved you's from humiliation"? Note to scousers. You are not fooling anybody if you come on here demonising Hazard and JT while backing Benitez and Torres to the hilt. Edited by forbzy

To be fair to Torres although he did nothing else against Brentford but the goal that is enough. Scoring is really enough of him. Remember how Drogba played in some games. He did absolutely nothing until he scored.

I don't see Torres regaining his form in Chelsea ever again so every time he scores is a plus.