Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Best. Christmas. Ever!!  :smile:

I jest, I always regarded Torres as a useful member of the squad but nonetheless both parties can finally move on.

Hope the Torres move to Atletico comes to fruition and that he rediscovers some form. Good luck Fernando!

Edited by the special one

Torres, 30, spent three-and-a-half years at Stamford Bridge, in which time he helped Chelsea lift the Champions League, the Europa League and the FA Cup.

A World Cup-winner, Torres joined Chelsea from Liverpool in January 2011. Memorable highlights include his Champions League semi-final breakaway against Barcelona at the Nou Camp and the goal that helped beat Benfica to lift the Europa League trophy a year later.

Torres continued to share in Spain’s international success while at Chelsea. He helped his country to a second successive European Championship in 2012, securing the Golden Boot in the process.

In the busy 2012/13 season his 22 goals were spread over seven competitions, a club record.

That reads ok above!.

Strange series of events. Don't really understand it myself.

I guess it means we don't have to subsidise his wages any more and Milan get rid of someone who clearly does not fit in. I would imagine Madrid will pay his (reduced) wages and he is happy because he gets his move back to his home club. Everyone is happy,

I guess it means we don't have to subsidise his wages any more and Milan get rid of someone who clearly does not fit in. I would imagine Madrid will pay his (reduced) wages and he is happy because he gets his move back to his home club. Everyone is happy,

As I understood it we wasn't subsidising his wages anyway, that's what the stumbling block of the loan initially was. He took a reduction in pay to secure playing time. 

You would have thought making the transfer permanent would involve a transfer fee? But by the sounds of it we have effectively terminated his contract and now Atletico are going to take on the burden of his wages.

Whichever way you break it down it's a bizarre situation, not one I'm sure I've ever seen before but knowing he is off our books and no longer a financial burden can only be a good thing for us going forward.

Torres, 30, spent three-and-a-half years at Stamford Bridge, in which time he helped Chelsea lift the Champions League, the Europa League and the FA Cup.

A World Cup-winner, Torres joined Chelsea from Liverpool in January 2011. Memorable highlights include his Champions League semi-final breakaway against Barcelona at the Nou Camp and the goal that helped beat Benfica to lift the Europa League trophy a year later.

Torres continued to share in Spain’s international success while at Chelsea. He helped his country to a second successive European Championship in 2012, securing the Golden Boot in the process.

In the busy 2012/13 season his 22 goals were spread over seven competitions, a club record.

That reads ok above!.

Let's face it, Milan fell for it.

Despite his massive decline in the last few years I do wish him all the best when he does eventually leave on a permanent basis. I hold no grudges against him and always hoped he would 'come good' in the end for the sake of success to our side and to stick it up Liverpool in the process as an added bonus.

He'll be remembered for that goal against Barcelona in the Champions League Semi Final and yes he did contribute to our Europa League success in 2013 by scoring numerous goals in the competition and even scoring an early goal in the Final against Benfica.

I admit I screamed the house down in the early hours of the morning here in Melbourne when he scored that goal against Barcelona! That was a huge moment in our club's history!

Edited by Jezz

From what I have read, we have offloaded him now as the 18 odd million hit we will take will be balanced against the money we made from selling Luiz and co. Its better to take the hit in this year than taking it next season.

My personal opinion is a bit different to most on here. I didnt think he tried that hard, I think most of the time he was frustrated with himself because he is finished as a player. I didnt like how he was picked over the likes of Sturridge and I didnt like how he bitched and moaned after we won the CL. Despite the support our fans gave him, he never felt part of the club imo. He was always a Liverpool fan. I am glad he has gone, its a monkey off our back. Signing him will go down in history as the worst signing not only in our history but probably world football.

I just want Torres to find some peace with football finally.

I'm curious though... did we play him in the Champion's League this season...? If we didn't then doesn't that mean that he could potentially play against us if we end up against Atletico again...? 

Oh my god.