Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• 2 months later...

Thought I posted this in here earlier. Interesting to see his own perspective on his transfer to Chelsea. The fact that their club tried to vilify him despite all of this is laughable. 

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/04/fernando-torres-on-his-anfield-exit-a-complete-chapter-from-ring-of-fire-liverpool-into-the-21st-century-the-players-stories/

(Warning: It's sympathetic to Liverpool fans - still an interesting read though)

• 10 months later...

@Argo and @Barrettinator your two articles link up, one saying Torres felt so welcome and Stevie G always found him on the pitch and the other saying the team went out of their way to make him feel special.

I get the feeling that Benitez understood his psychology and played up to it to get the best out of him.

Of course that was not going to happen at Chelsea with all of our established stars - the old saying comes to mind,

'Would you rather be a big fish in small pond, or a small fish in a big pond.'

The other point is about that knee injury he appears to mention it as an after thought.............

Edited by Strider6003

Always great to watch unseen videos of that night. Thanks. 

I'm convinced he was fouled in the box on 1.23 in that video. Seconds later they went upfield and Drogba fouled Ribery for their pen, but that looked like a pen for us. I remember at the time there were no replays shown and we were all yelling for a pen.

Maybe if Drogba hadn't fouled Ribery he wouldn't have gone off injured, and he might have taken their 4th pen. Written in the stars, as Neville said.

On March 21, 2018 at 17:12, Strider6003 said:

Although Torres had a mental block about scoring he didn't stop trying and put in a decent effort even if it was on the wing. Look forward to seeing what he writes about CFC fans once he retires as a lot still encouraged him even though he didn't deliver for some time.

Biggest myth ever, he was always sulking and walking around the pitch without a care in the world.

On 22.3.2018 at 09:55, Backbiter said:

Always great to watch unseen videos of that night. Thanks. 

I'm convinced he was fouled in the box on 1.23 in that video. Seconds later they went upfield and Drogba fouled Ribery for their pen, but that looked like a pen for us. I remember at the time there were no replays shown and we were all yelling for a pen.

Maybe if Drogba hadn't fouled Ribery he wouldn't have gone off injured, and he might have taken their 4th pen. Written in the stars, as Neville said.

Funny, I was and am convinced that it was a foul on Nando from Boateng right before the Robben Pen. I watched the German replay, first he yelled oh come on, no foul. then the second replay from an different angle was shown and he just was silent.

I also read (and still have it ;-) ) the Kicker, where they always rate the Refs perfomance and they too said it was a clear penalty.

• 1 year later...
On 22 March 2018 at 04:12, Strider6003 said:

Although Torres had a mental block about scoring he didn't stop trying and put in a decent effort even if it was on the wing. Look forward to seeing what he writes about CFC fans once he retires as a lot still encouraged him even though he didn't deliver for some time.

From the interview he's done since his Chelsea departure, he's always had good things to say about us and his experience with the club.

It was obviously a tough period for him, but I always liked him and hope he has fond memories of the club.

My favourite highlights of his stint was the goal against Barcelona and the key role he played in our Europa League success the following season.