Zouma - If Kurt's Happy, I'm Happy!

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

I don't think cahill is much better on the ball than zouma. Zouma looks unorthodox but is pretty steady. Cahill is probably the better dribbler, but zouma has the speed and strength to get out of most tight situations.

Neither of them are anywhere near terry technically though, whos touch and passing are criminally underated.

I don't think cahill is much better on the ball than zouma. Zouma looks unorthodox but is pretty steady. Cahill is probably the better dribbler, but zouma has the speed and strength to get out of most tight situations.

Neither of them are anywhere near terry technically though, whos touch and passing are criminally underated.

Agree on terry, his passing us as good as any defender I've seen since leboeuf. But I disagree on Cahill, he us a better passer than zouma and isn't caught out of position as much. But that's no slur on zouma, hes still learning the game and has many positives. Timing of the tackling is exceptional, pace obviously and hes a beast in the air, though he does seem to get dragged under the ball by clever strikers.

Agree on terry, his passing us as good as any defender I've seen since leboeuf. But I disagree on Cahill, he us a better passer than zouma and isn't caught out of position as much. But that's no slur on zouma, hes still learning the game and has many positives. Timing of the tackling is exceptional, pace obviously and hes a beast in the air, though he does seem to get dragged under the ball by clever strikers.

I think cahill and Zouma both have a tendency to be out of position, which is probably why both are so good at last ditch tackles, they get quite a bit of practice.

It's going to be hard for cahill to get back in the team now. Zouma looks like he is going to make that spot next to terry his own.

He is deceptively fast.  Slow to start, but then those long legs kick in and he's covering yardage with every stride.  He also looks to have slimmed down a little too.

He also looks like Fin from Star Wars.

Has to be a starter.

That he is comparable with Cahill already makes that even more important.

Zouma is entering his prime and will improve with more experience where as Cahill is 30 and most likely peaked.

Maybe if we are needing an experienced defender in a CL game would I put Cahill ahead...maybe.

But considering the context of the season, Zouma's continuing development as a CFC starter/possible world class CB has to be one of the top priorities.

After all, it's not like we are sacrificing any tangible level of skill when playing him and looking forwards it might be prudent to start giving Zouma and Cahill games as a CB pairing.

in my opinion his pace automatically puts him on the team sheet in front of cahill or dare i say even terry. and his tackling is awesome !! and he is just a kid !!

Nah, Terry makes up for his lack of pace with his positioning. There isn't a better defender at positioning than Terry. For me, Terry is still out most important CB.

I think Zouma is getting better and better but until he stop's losing his man i won't say he is at Terry's level. I love his tackles, but the reason why he has to make those tackles is because his positioning isn't quite right.

agree with this. cahill is fairly average on the ball and zouma's not quite as good as gary but he's clearly a big talent. can't think of many better defenders in the premier league era at the same age. campbell, jt, woodgate and ferdinand are the only ones that I can think of so it is fair to say he's in very good company. 

as you say he's got quite a bit to learn but since he's joined he's improved loads under jose and he does have some great natural attributes. like lukaku it's amazing to see people that size move that quickly.

He still has alot to learn distributing the ball, but he made up for Cahills lack of ability again

Terrific young player, still not in the top 2 young french centre backs though

Disagree with him not being in the top 2 young french centre backs, by whom I assume you mean Laporte and Varane. I love both of them, and if Varane was fit regularly, I'd agree with you, but if you look at the number of minutes Varane has played over the last 3 seasons versus the number of matches Zouma has played, and take into account the two year age gap, I honestly think Zouma is better. Varane is shot in my opinion, he misses half of the matches every season through injury, he's another Badstuber, a young player with immense talent, but his body just isn't up for it. On his day he's great, but i'd rather a two year younger, constantly fit, powerhouse like Zouma 10 times out of 10. That's my view on it.

Meanwhile Laporte is just  ::clap2::  ::clap2::

Disagree with him not being in the top 2 young french centre backs, by whom I assume you mean Laporte and Varane. I love both of them, and if Varane was fit regularly, I'd agree with you, but if you look at the number of minutes Varane has played over the last 3 seasons versus the number of matches Zouma has played, and take into account the two year age gap, I honestly think Zouma is better. Varane is shot in my opinion, he misses half of the matches every season through injury, he's another Badstuber, a young player with immense talent, but his body just isn't up for it. On his day he's great, but i'd rather a two year younger, constantly fit, powerhouse like Zouma 10 times out of 10. That's my view on it.

Meanwhile Laporte is just  ::clap2::  ::clap2::

Laporte is the best of the lot. What a player

I still think Zouma lacks the reading of the game Varane has, and uses his pace to get out of it. But Varane was the same a few years ago. 

Exciting times for the french national team, young superstars all over the pitch

Laporte is the best of the lot. What a player

I still think Zouma lacks the reading of the game Varane has, and uses his pace to get out of it. But Varane was the same a few years ago. 

Exciting times for the french national team, young superstars all over the pitch

Indeed. Beast defense coming through. Laporte is the dog's bollocks, with Varane and Zouma close behind. Not to mention Koulibaly in Serie A and Mangala looking better this season... even Koscielney, though a little older, is a great defender, Arsenal hate aside. Kurzawa at LB is looking the real deal too. Not too sure about their RBs, though. 

Couldn't match that insane Italian defense throughout the 2000s of Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, Materazzi, Barzagli, Cheilini, Zanetti, Maldini etc. could they?

Can see the French national team becoming a true force again with Lloris, Pogba, Schinderlin, Lacazette, Matuidi, Griezmann, Martial coming through. Compare that with England's young talent, and Rooney leading the line... Sigh.

Edited by joshd24

Indeed. Beast defense coming through. Laporte is the dog's bollocks, with Varane and Zouma close behind. Not to mention Koulibaly in Serie A and Mangala looking better this season... even Koscielney, though a little older, is a great defender, Arsenal hate aside. Kurzawa at LB is looking the real deal too. Not too sure about their RBs, though.

Couldn't match that insane Italian defense throughout the 2000s of Cannavaro, Nesta, Zambrotta, Materazzi, Barzagli, Cheilini, Zanetti, Maldini etc. could they?

Can see the French national team becoming a true force again with Lloris, Pogba, Schinderlin, Lacazette, Matuidi, Griezmann, Martial coming through. Compare that with England's young talent, and Rooney leading the line... Sigh.

And Fekir, Payet