Marcos Alonso

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 hours ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

Alonso's quietly strung some solid performances together, set up a goal or two(?) as well. Well done. Deserves a bit of credit tbf. 

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Agreed.  I've been harsh on Alonso, with good reason though, but he has been better this season.  Perhaps he is the type of player now who needs a little competition to get himself in gear - seemed like he got mighty complacent previously.

It doesn’t surprise me that two of these performances have come with a back 3.. also even in a back 4 having a more willing defensive phase from CHO will also help.. I still think the LB position is our achilies.. and no chilwell given his lack of pace is not the answer..

3 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Who is? We’ve been spoiled for choice at left back for so long it’s hard to think it’s one of our weakest positions now. 

I think Emerson has done a more than fine job when he has played for us at the end of last season and at the beginning of this season.

LB options of Emerson/Chilwell and sell Alonso to Athletico for 30-40m and that works out great for us.

8 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Who is? We’ve been spoiled for choice at left back for so long it’s hard to think it’s one of our weakest positions now. 

4 hours ago, PlayDaYouf said:

I think Emerson has done a more than fine job when he has played for us at the end of last season and at the beginning of this season.

LB options of Emerson/Chilwell and sell Alonso to Athletico for 30-40m and that works out great for us.

Unfortunately there aren’t many great options out there.. and given chilwell will easily cost 80 mil.. I am not too excited by our prospects here.. in Alonso and Emerson we have two squad players alternating as starters..

I have heard good things about marcel halstenberg from Leipzig and ferland  mendy..

On 13/10/2019 at 18:23, Jangz said:

Unfortunately there aren’t many great options out there.. and given chilwell will easily cost 80 mil.. I am not too excited by our prospects here.. in Alonso and Emerson we have two squad players alternating as starters..

I have heard good things about marcel halstenberg from Leipzig and ferland  mendy..

Didn't Mendy just sign for Real Madrid this summer?

Chilwell I think will go for a bit under than 50m. If it really is 80m then thats stupid

On 13/10/2019 at 19:23, Jangz said:

Alex Telles is the name you are looking for, and he won’t cost anywhere near £80m. 

3 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Lot of praise (and rightly so) for our other 3 defenders today. Let's not forget Marcos who was also excellent.

Way better all around option than Emerson for me.

The criticism for Marcos has been the transition phase.. yesterday he occupied fairly defensive positioning so was able to manage the transition phase.. it was not until the last 10 minutes when the poor 18 yr old RB for Ajax completely lost his legs did we see him venture forward with more adventurism. and regularity..  For me both Emerson and Marcos are back up players..

We already have a defense minded RB problem i feel with Alonso is his lack of pace which shows up from time to time ..we do need an upgrade on LB a quicker option which will mean that an overlap actually works..

1 hour ago, Shweaves said:

His experience in the final minutes was invaluable, telling Mount and Pulisic to keep it by the corner flag. Between the three of them the managed to waste 2-3 minutes right at the death... 

True he is also good at getting fouled in tricky places either in our own half or the front. Sometimes he tries too hard and he doesn't get the foul but often it works. 

Got a freekick in the final minutes with this. 

Beyond awful tonight. Slept walk through the whole game. I cannot believe he got 90 minutes. Responsible for both goals through bad passes, and giving away a penalty in that way was absolutely criminal. I would fine him a week's wages. Atrocious.

There is a reason why Emerson started every game until he got injured.

Alonso is quite frankly one of the worst LBs in the league. If we didn't have the ban he wouldn't be here at all and i guarantee you he'll be one of the first out the door come next summer.