Marcos Alonso

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Played really well last night, I think he benefited from us sitting a little deeper. When we play the high line, if Hazard is playing on the left our left side of the defence gets exposed a lot. 

Hazard tends to drift inside leaving Alonso with a lot of space to cover. I did notice Kovacic hugging the left side quite a lot yesterday, particularly in the first half which I think helped us a fair bit. 

Played really well last night, I think he benefited from us sitting a little deeper. When we play the high line, if Hazard is playing on the left our left side of the defence gets exposed a lot. 
Hazard tends to drift inside leaving Alonso with a lot of space to cover. I did notice Kovacic hugging the left side quite a lot yesterday, particularly in the first half which I think helped us a fair bit. 
Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

If Emerson had that game today people would be heavily praising him. 

Alsono deserves criticism but I also think he deserves a lot of praise, he gets far more stick than he deserves. I only hope he can adapt in the LB role, with Emerson and Alonso rotating more we might see better performances from Alonso, he was playing far too much when he was out of form. 

23 minutes ago, Slojo said:

If Emerson had that game today people would be heavily praising him. 

Alsono deserves criticism but I also think he deserves a lot of praise, he gets far more stick than he deserves. I only hope he can adapt in the LB role, with Emerson and Alonso rotating more we might see better performances from Alonso, he was playing far too much when he was out of form. 

He’s always been a good attacking LB/LWB. The problems start when we play a half decent team with any sort of pace on their right hand side. The fact he had Christensen beside him helped IMO. As opposed to Luiz who is prone to going wandering in his own right.

He played very well tonight which is good news, there will be harder tests than this to come though but credit where credits due!

Guest Sindre

Can't remember a worse season by a LB since the 90s.

Every time he comes up against someone even half decent he looks like a complete dud.

• 4 weeks later...

Great header for the winner last night but he didn't half stink up the joint aside from that. 

I like Alonso, I think when he's on form he's a really good player. 

But he's been awful for months now. He started the season well but has just slumped into such poor form. 

He's better suited to playing as a wing back rather than in a back four no doubt but he shouldn't be struggling as much as he is. 

BBC said Alonso had a poor game by his standards 

I didn't watch it but what is a poor game by Alonso's standards? 

If we get a good offer for him in the summer we should sell. Even with a transfer ban I'd rather see the back up left back to to a youth player / Azpi 

Edited by bisright1

8 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

If we get a good offer for him in the summer we should sell. Even with a transfer ban I'd rather see the back up left back to to a youth player / Azpi 

Real were rumoured to be interested in him before, though given his form they may have since cooled their interest. 

No sure I can see him leaving any time soon personally, not after we handed him the new contract. 

Alonso was good for 3 seconds in the game. His well-timed run and good header were good (abd very important) but other 89 minutes and 57 seconds he looked like a player who doesn't have any attributes to be succesful in Sarri's system. 

As soon as he got his contract extension he turned into turd. Best right back in the league last season. Today, a tall branch of grass on the football field. 

Honestly I think it would be a master stroke if Sarri tried him out as a striker.

He can defend, shoot, head the ball. Even knows how to time his runs well. Having said he can defend, he’s currently shocking as a left back, maybe he can lead the press instead up front?

Hes easily one of our best finishers, he has everything you’d want in a striker, why not?

2 hours ago, bisright1 said:

BBC said Alonso had a poor game by his standards 

I didn't watch it but what is a poor game by Alonso's standards? 

Well Jay DaSilva is playing well at Charlton, so be interesting to see how the club plan his next steps. The same for Reece James.

I personally don't think Azpilicueta is that good at all as a RB in an attacking system. He can defend well, but going forward he is very mediocre. Playing him at LB would be a disadvantage. Just have Jya dasilva as backup to Emerson. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Alonso was good for 3 seconds in the game. His well-timed run and good header were good (abd very important) but other 89 minutes and 57 seconds he looked like a player who doesn't have any attributes to be succesful in Sarri's system. 

As soon as he got his contract extension he turned into turd. Best right back in the league last season. Today, a tall branch of grass on the football field. 

My problem with a few of these players is they need a specific system to suit them and make them look good. Take them away from one system and they look poor. Our full backs are perfect examples of this.