Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blueblur

World Cup 2018 Qualifiers

33 minutes ago, charierre said:

Scotland deserve a points deduction for wearing the pink shirt. As for England we're playing as good as the Scots shirt.

I'm sick and tired of all these ridiculous kits.............and as I type Cahill scores Englands 3rd goal, get in there.

Scotland looked the better side early in the second half and should have scored. Then it quickly went from 1-0 to 3-0. The extra quality of the England players showed when it mattered and Scotland look second rate now. Looks like curtains for Strachan.

3 hours ago, charierre said:

I've always wanted a return of the home internationals. Judging off this game I'm not sure it'd be a good idea. The Scots look like a championship side at best and we're just a little better. 

At least England would win something again though. :biggrin:

Couldn't think of anywhere else to post this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38274641

Russia's right to host the 2018 World Cup amid revelations about a state-sponsored doping programme has been questioned by MP Damian Collins.

A World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) report detailed an "institutional conspiracy" involving more than 1,000 Olympic and Paralympic athletes.

Football was one of 30 sports implicated by the McLaren report.

"Fifa now have to look very seriously at the way in which the World Cup is going to be staged," said Collins.

"How can Russia give confidence to Fifa and to the world that there will be proper anti-doping measures in place during the World Cup?"

Russia's sports ministry denied claims of a state-sponsored doping programme, but Richard McLaren, author of the Wada report, said international sports competitions had been "unknowingly hijacked by the Russians" for years.

The Canadian described the London 2012 Olympic Games as "corrupted on an unprecedented scale".

Collins, chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, added: "It does taint the London Games. What is shocking from the report is this was state sanctioned.

"It's not just widespread abuse by Russian coaches and athletes, it is something that has been planned and executed with the authority and support of the Russian government."

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko was sports minister during the time detailed by the McLaren report, and is seeking re-election to the ruling committee of Fifa, football's governing body.

"It does call into question how someone like Vitaly Mutko, who was sports minister - and in the Wada report they said it would have been impossible for him not to know what was going on - can sit on the Fifa council," added Collins.

"The sports bodies have to not only take action against Russian athletes competing, until we can be confident the anti-doping regime in Russia is robust and being honestly pursued, but also look at the role of Russian sports administrators and politicians who have senior positions in the governing bodies of world sports.

"How can they hold these positions if they are implicated in this massive state-sponsored doping scandal?"

Mutko, who chairs the 2018 World Cup organising committee, has said Russia will resort to legal action in response to the allegations of institutionalised doping.

Following the publication of the report yesterday about state sponsored doping of Russian Olympians and Paralympians it will be interesting to see if there is any impact on the World Cup and what FIFA's response to the WADA report will be. A friend of mine was part of the investigation team into doping of Russian Athletes. When I see him next I'll ask how the investigation went and if there is anything that might still come out.

1 hour ago, adineen98 said:

Nil all draw at home and Coleman gets his leg broken. Lovely

It was a disgusting tackle from Neil Taylor. The intent was clear for all to see and he shouldn't get away with only a 3 game ban for that. With lunges like that, there is always a huge risk of breaking a players leg and this time it has happened. Neil Taylor should be getting a long ban from football, not just international football either. He should be banned from ALL football for a long time. 

I'm also sick of people coming out and saying "he isn't that type of player" when players make challenges like this. Neil Taylor obviously is that type of player seeing as he has potentially ended another players career. Just say it as you see it. That was a cowards tackle and he shouldn't let off lightly for it. There isn't anything worse in football than seeing someone trying to seriously injure another footballer. If Suarez can get a long term ban for biting, then Neil Taylor deserves just as much ( probably more ) for what he did tonight. He didn't even look like he gave a sh*t about what he did either, he was actually complaining about the foul given against him.

I would not be at all surprised if Coleman doesn't fully recover from this. He's out for a year at least with that injury and it's going to take a long time for him to get anywhere near match fitness again. By then he could be into his 30's. This type of injury has happened at possibly the worst time in his career.

I agree fully with everything Scott said above. It's always horrible seeing injuries like that.

Also, Gareth Bale should probably have been sent off beforehand for his tackle on O'Shea. And worse, he's has the audacity to complain about being booked for it.

Coleman, a great talent... Shame its been ended by that piece of garbage Neil Taylor. Disgusting challenge, disgusting reaction, disgusting player. Deserves a banned from all comps until the end of the season minimum. 

Edit: just saw the Bale challenge, if oshea has his foot planted and Bale made full connection that would have been a broken leg too!! The ref can hang his head in shame, that was a stone wall red and if Bale goes off for that Taylor may have played more sensibly. 

Disgraceful football, hate to see teams employ these tactics.

It was a disgusting tackle from Neil Taylor. The intent was clear for all to see and he shouldn't get away with only a 3 game ban for that. With lunges like that, there is always a huge risk of breaking a players leg and this time it has happened. Neil Taylor should be getting a long ban from football, not just international football either. He should be banned from ALL football for a long time. 
I'm also sick of people coming out and saying "he isn't that type of player" when players make challenges like this. Neil Taylor obviously is that type of player seeing as he has potentially ended another players career. Just say it as you see it. That was a cowards tackle and he shouldn't let off lightly for it. There isn't anything worse in football than seeing someone trying to seriously injure another footballer. If Suarez can get a long term ban for biting, then Neil Taylor deserves just as much ( probably more ) for what he did tonight. He didn't even look like he gave a sh*t about what he did either, he was actually complaining about the foul given against him.
I would not be at all surprised if Coleman doesn't fully recover from this. He's out for a year at least with that injury and it's going to take a long time for him to get anywhere near match fitness again. By then he could be into his 30's. This type of injury has happened at possibly the worst time in his career.

I'd like to think Taylor didn't mean it but it was an absolute horrific challenge and I've no idea what the f**k he was thinking. Fingers crossed Coleman makes a speedy recovery, but the likely scenario is that he's out for up to a year and the injury has ruined any chance he had of the long mooted move from Everton to a top 4 club. I think Bale was lucky not to get a red either, his tackle on O'Shea was very poor and he got away with a few other tackles later on. It would have been sickening had he scored in the last few minutes like he almost did.

On the whole however, it was a fairly drab game; it really didn't live up to the hype. Whatever Keane said in the build up about Ireland looking for a win wasn't true, we set out to nullify Wales (understandably so give the list of injuries and suspensions robbing Ireland of any creative players) and did so without being creative in the process. I don't think Wales really deserved it either, the majority of the time they were passing it around in midfield and at time it was not so much a football match but more "which team can have the most aimless long balls in a minute" match. A 0-0 draw was probably the fairest result in the end. I do think however, that if we beat Austria in June and Wales lose to Serbia, Wales can kiss any hope of qualifying for Russia goodbye, to make up 7 points in 4 games would be extremely difficult

Coleman, a great talent... Shame its been ended by that piece of garbage Neil Taylor. Disgusting challenge, disgusting reaction, disgusting player. Deserves a banned from all comps until the end of the season minimum. 

Edit: just saw the Bale challenge, if oshea has his foot planted and Bale made full connection that would have been a broken leg too!! The ref can hang his head in shame, that was a stone wall red and if Bale goes off for that Taylor may have played more sensibly. 
Disgraceful football, hate to see teams employ these tactics.

I did feel the ref had a poor game. Kept blowing up for small fouls in the first half and then let both teams away with poor challenges in the second half. Had Bale been shown red for his challenge Coleman would still have his leg intact

Belgium looking lost in first half against a compact Greece, without Hazard and KDB. I really can't stand players throwing tantrums at his teammates like Lukaku, when he is at fault for drifting into countless offsides. 

2 hours ago, Jezz said:

I'm still baffled as to how Martinez is Belgium's coach:ohmy:

It's mind-boggling, isn't it. Can you imagine the discussions in the Belgium FA boardroom... I certainly can't :smile:

At least the Dutch are heading towards a second international tournament spent on the beach :biggrin: 

Was at the Ireland game myself, and I agree with all the sentiments above, it was a shocking tackle by Taylor, and could have been prevented if bale had seen red earlier. Overall was a sh*te game, with an ever sh*ter outcome for Coleman. I've met him a few times in the airport and such, the nicest, most down to earth guy possible, and probably our best player, hopefully if we qualify for the world cup he has recovered in time to feature, it would be great to have him come back from that and bring the team on a good run in the WC

On 3/25/2017 at 16:42, adineen98 said:

I did feel the ref had a poor game. Kept blowing up for small fouls in the first half and then let both teams away with poor challenges in the second half. Had Bale been shown red for his challenge Coleman would still have his leg intact

That was the referee's fault. Poor Coleman. 

On 26/03/2017 at 17:16, Valerie said:

At least the Dutch are heading towards a second international tournament spent on the beach :biggrin: 

With no hint of irony, Fred Grim has taken over as interim coach!