Virgil Van Dijk

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Read his statement. He has talked to manager earlier that he is very ambutious and if a window opens he might move on. It has happened and he wants to move on to play probably at his level. I have no qualms and hope he gets his chance.

I don't see we actually need to strenghten CB dept but if Conte needs him then by all means.

If Chelsea wasn't such a big club we could have probably seen JT, Frankie, Drogba leave much earlier. Just the way it goes.

We have been quite lucky with our player's ever since the Gullit era really, apart from Robben i don't think any player has left us who we have been desperate to keep, even Costa seem's a pretty mutual parting. Arsenal, Liverpool and even United have regularly fallen victim in that regard but we don't seem too.

2 hours ago, BordeauxBlue said:

It would be the most damning verdict on our loan / youth system to date if Christensen ends up getting punted out for a £50m VVD.

I'll call it now, if we sell Christenson he will end up at a top club for plus 50 mill him self 

I'd be all for signing him if we hadn't a;ready signed Rudiger, but if we sign him now, then that's it for Christensen, and that will come back to haunt us like Lukaku and De Bruyne when he ends up at a rival in a year or 2.

I kind of wish we hadn't signed Rudiger to be honest.

Edited by Zeta

It the one position that RIGHT NOW we don't actually need anything, however, we have all seen how one season you have it, the next it's gone, Ivan and JT both slowing down considerably, Ivan fell of a cliff. Look "tup" north and recall what happens to Vidic and Rio..so while it might seem silly to throw money at the position right now it might be a smart move to secure are defense for the next 5 years. 

(I started to write this post thinking it was really a stupid move)

wish we would spend a little more money further up the field and focus on creativity. i'm all for a solid defence, but only so many cbs you can be until you start focusing on how we're going to score goals instead of trying to concede less. 

We certainly don't need him right now. But when you look closely both our CBs are 30 plus and Dave is technically a right back. 

Virgil is someone I think who is class and I thought we should have signed him last year when we were faffing chasing Koulibaly. 

I do worry for Andreas in all this, but we have to be deliberate about his development. With 3 roles available and 2 matches a week he really should be playing close to a match a week anyway. Now for me that means he plays every cup match and most of the CL group stages. If we can do that he'll have a chance to show his worth. 

The person who this really would put out is Zouma. 

Edited by Spiller86

I don't class Dave as left back or a right back. He's now a CB and has proven for a while that's where he is best utilised. We have Cahill and Luis who still have 2/3 seasons at the top while we have one of the brightest young CB in Europe in Christensen...on top of that we have Zouma who's out on loan who could recapture his highly impressive form we all know he is capable of plus Rudiger who we just spent 30 odd million on. It's simply not a priority for me.

I'm not thinking 2 or 3 years down the line, I'm focused on this season and what we need to be successful domestically and in Europe....thats not another CB because we don't have enough space to fit them all in.

19 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

We certainly don't need him right now. But when you look closely both our CBs are 30 plus and Dave is technically a right back. 

Virgil is someone I think who is class and I thought we should have signed him last year when we were faffing chasing Koulibaly. 

I do worry for Andreas in all this, but we have to be deliberate about his development. With 3 roles available and 2 matches a week he really should be playing close to a match a week anyway. Now for me that means he plays every cup match and most of the CL group stages. If we can do that he'll have a chance to show his worth. 

Quotes from his dad say Conte thinks he's even better live than on TV. I don't think he's going anywhere.

CB: Gaz, Luiz, VVD, Andreas, Dave, Rudiger, Tomori

WB: Moses, Alonso, Dave, Rudiger, Tomori

That situtation is workable even though we're light on true WBs. Pedro can play there in a pinch but I wasn't so impressed witb him there last season. Wish Kenedy hadn't taken a nose dive since his first start, we'd be set up pretty well if he could pull his weight.

RCB: Dave, Gaz, Rudiger

CB: Luiz, Andreas, VVD

LCB: VVD, Dave, Andreas

Hard to leave out the captain and it won't happen but we could make it work. Especially if Dave or Rudi can step up and fill in at WB. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

2 hours ago, dan_cfc said:

Can see Christensen being sold in all honesty he'll want to be playing regular after being a starter in his last couple of seasons and it doesn't look as though Conte is prepared to risk it.

I don't know, this says otherwise? 

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/8/7/16105822/sten-christensen-conte-told-emelano-that-a-christensen-is-even-better

50 minutes ago, doctorblue said:

Don't forget Baba Rahman should be fit around October time...

Even when deemed fit after ACL it will take him a while to get into gear.

I cannot see who goes out of the starting line up if we buy this guy, and there is no way he comes without walking into a team.  All three at the back deserve to keep their spot.  Moses also deserves his spot, so couldn't just move Dave there.

If we really want him then we should offer them what they want with Christensen on loan, they get money to reinvest and a good centre back to cover them for a year.

Though I think we have enough cover at CB and we should be investing in players at wing back and midfield. It looks like to me that we could end up with Danny Drinkwater and wing back cover who's not Alex Sandro at the end of this window.

Who knows if that will disappoint Conte but apparently its him who wants Drinkwater, it may disappoint some fans but Drinkwater will be Chalobah cover. It's just do we need to spend that much money on that sort of cover when we have youth. Personally I think we should use our youth as depth and go all out on 2 quality world class targets.

Edited by Sheva

3 minutes ago, Sheva said:

If we really want him then we should offer them what they want with Christensen on loan, they get money to reinvest and a good centre back to cover them for a year.

Exactly this, win - win for all party's. This way we have 5 quality options for the 3 spots, and Christensen gaining enough experience to walk into our starting line up when Cahill steps back from the first team.