Welcome Ross Barkley

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think we should dampen our expectations somewhat on his goalscoring potential. His league goal record (when a regular starter) at Everton is 6,2,8, then 5, quite often in a more explicitly attacking role than the one he plays with us. 

That said, once again, I have been very pleased with his progress this season, and have thoroughly enjoyed the competition between him and Kovacic for the final midfield spot. 

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

I think we should dampen our expectations somewhat on his goalscoring potential. His league goal record (when a regular starter) at Everton is 6,2,8, then 5, quite often in a more explicitly attacking role than the one he plays with us. 

Ah but the thing you have to remember about Everton is that they're sh*t. 

12 hours ago, just said:

Yet to see any real end product from Kovacic. A killer ball, a pin-point cross, a bit of invention, a goal!

He has been functional without pulling up any trees so far IMO.

I think Kovacic has been superb but I do agree, he hasn't been involved with the final 3rd anywhere near enough, but I think he's definitely a superior footballer than RLC & Barkley. 

For example, Kovacic has a better pass completion, better key pass rate, better average pass rate. His link-up play between the attack and the midfield has been impressive but he hasn't really had a big display of assists or goals. 

If you were to play Kovacic for 38 games, and Barkley for 38 games, Barkley would come out with more goals/assists to his name but the team would have more points if Kovacic was playing. That's a very big leap of imagination I'm taking here I know but I think it's a fair analogy to the point that I'm making as it's difficult to explain. 

I think the selection dilemma between Barkley and Kovacic is a healthy one as they both offer us something different, personally I would have Barkley start against majority of the teams in the Premier League as I would much rather see Kovacic coming off the bench whilst protecting a lead than Barkley. Against better and more technical opposition I would prefer Kovacic to start as I think he gives us more balance and control in the middle of the park.

On 23/10/2018 at 12:19, Slojo said:

If you were to play Kovacic for 38 games, and Barkley for 38 games, Barkley would come out with more goals/assists to his name but the team would have more points if Kovacic was playing. That's a very big leap of imagination I'm taking here I know but I think it's a fair analogy to the point that I'm making as it's difficult to explain. 

What if a team of 11 Kovacices played a team of 11 Barkleys 38 times? What would be the total point tally?

That fifteen million looks better and better value with every game that passes. 

Starting to make it very hard for Sarri to leave him out. 

Apparently had a hand in 7 goals so far this season with only Hazard (11) having contributed to more. 

I'm very impressed with Barkley. You can tell he worked super hard in the off-season to get fit, and work in Sarri's system. He seems to be maturing as a player and a person.

He's getting better and better, and if he continues playing this well, he's going to make a starting spot his own. He's been a revelation recently. Goals and assists....can't ask for more.

He's only getting better and better, and with the recent for form of RLC and Jorginho and Kante already being 2 of the best players in the world in heir respective positions (if not the best in Kante's case) and not to mention the class of Kovacic.. I think you can make a case for Chelsea possibly having the best MF in world football atm? Hard to see any team be as good as us in terms of MF when you take into account the benched players as well.. City come close but I think we have the edge. Only other teams that can make a case currently are probably Barca

From what I saw of the highlights, he was outstanding. 

He set up Morata with a killer ball not unlike what we saw with Hazard at Southampton, then he placed a shot from range before giving the ball to Willian to do his thing. 

This is his just reward for some hard work during the off-season and some careful analysis of Napoli's play on his part. 

Against any side out of the Top 6, he should be a nailed-on starter. 

5 hours ago, Barry_Stanton said:

He's only getting better and better, and with the recent for form of RLC and Jorginho and Kante already being 2 of the best players in the world in heir respective positions (if not the best in Kante's case) and not to mention the class of Kovacic.. I think you can make a case for Chelsea possibly having the best MF in world football atm? Hard to see any team be as good as us in terms of MF when you take into account the benched players as well.. City come close but I think we have the edge. Only other teams that can make a case currently are probably Barca

We don’t have the best midfield in England let alone the world fella.

Bit if a over reaction there I think.

2 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

We don’t have the best midfield in England let alone the world fella.

Bit if a over reaction there I think.

I beg to differ; Jorginho, Kante, Kovacic, Barkley, RLC

find me a team with a better 5 CM's overall than that? Especially on current form

Edited by Barry_Stanton

He's always looked decent looking towards goal, and he's getting the chance to do a lot of that this season. I also think he has improved with his back to goal considerably in the last month or two. When he started the season, he still looked a bit uncomfortable with his back to goal, but he looks a lot better now. 

Not only his goals and assists, he is often wide open which is something we didn't see a lot in the beginning. His movement without the ball is way better than what it used to be. He also makes less mistakes with his regular passing, making good runs, conquering space and being an actual danger unlike Kovacic who clearly gives the opponent the impression that he is going to stop after his run and bring it back to Hazard instead of actually shooting or making a good-quality assist. 

I kinda agree with that Kovacic and Kante should be rotated and shouldn't start together against defensive-oriented teams. With Barkley, Pedro, Hazard and even Morata, we have 4 potential goalscorers, With Jorginho, Kovacic, Kante, Hazard, Willan and Giroud we have 1... I mean, it's a difference you can clearly feel. 

Had my doubts about him, but for 15 mill we basically had no risk at all. He has flourished under Sarri and he is ideal for this system. Plus he scores and assists a scoring midfielder was something we have been missing for some time. Very happy for him, and with Ruben, Kovačić, Kante, Jorginho we are spoiled with the midfield depth and talent.