Christian Pulisic - Official

2 hours ago, Sindre said:

Way, way to early to conclude but the situation was different when we bought him. Don't think we would have spent 60 million on him right now as i think we have three attackers from the academy that the manager rates higher (CHO, Mount, RLC) but he may very well go on to become a vital player for us still.

Agreed to a certain extent, he was clearly being watched by the club and while the 3 you mentioned are great only one is a proper winger, with willian and pedro getting to the end of their careers I still think we would have gone in for him. Maybe we would have pushed the price a bit harder knowing the above were going to be first teamers and without the looming ban 

12 hours ago, Costa Drug Cartel said:

There's a reason Frank prefers Willian over him as of this moment. Pulisic doesnt have the end product in his game for us yet, much like Willian I have to say. However, theres no question that Willian is a much, much better dribbler. Until Pulisic finds the confidence to go at defenders and have the strength and sharpness to beat them like Willian does, there wont be reason for Frank to give him minutes over the Brazilian.

On the other hand, I do think the boy is talented and needs time. One area of his game which I'm a big fan of are his off the ball runs. I thought Barkley and Batshuayi in particular did a poor job of finding him when he made those runs. His overall game intelligence is higher than Willian's, it's just a matter of showcasing his ability and adding end product to his game. 

I expect Willian's speed around the pitch in closing players down as well as breaking is better than what Pulisic can do just now. Pusilic does run back and tackle , I just think Willian is more combative in that area either side of the central circle and final third. 

5 hours ago, Stim said:

Just sell him to Roma then we can complain about him later.

Craig Burley thinks Pulisic should quit Chelsea if he's not a regular by the end of the season.  While he's got off to a slow start,  it's way to early to be thinking about him leaving after just one season!

4 hours ago, Dixons said:

Craig Burley thinks Pulisic should quit Chelsea if he's not a regular by the end of the season.  While he's got off to a slow start,  it's way to early to be thinking about him leaving after just one season!

Craig Burley is one of the most idiotic people I’ve ever listened to in my life.  If he says something, you can be sure that the complete opposite stance is the correct one.

18 hours ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Thing is he is still a kid himself... I know he has minutes in Germany but new to country and league should cut him a bit of slack. in all honesty who cares about the money its not from my bank account. 

Well when it's 60m we could spend on someone else, I do. 

I'm all for giving him slack and time to adjust. Not a problem with that. I'm just highlighting that he is again another failed piece of recruitment. 60m to sit behind the kids is not good management on the field at least. Not sure if he might pay some dividends in the American sponsorship market. Probably not if he sits on the bench.

Edited by Spiller86
12 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Craig Burley is one of the most idiotic people I’ve ever listened to in my life.  If he says something, you can be sure that the complete opposite stance is the correct one.

Sadly we seem to have some really sh*t pundits, Hoddle, Ruud, Burley and don't even get me started on that dick head Chris Sutton. It would be nice to have a bit of bias and protection coming our way from the media people for a change, sadly none of them offer it. 

Frank was a great pundit though, but much prefer him here at the moment. 

That ESPN show is an embarrassment, I saw it pop up on my youtube "Should Pulisic leave in January", didn't bother giving it the click, how embarrassing is that, it's September... I know they're an American broadcast and they want to see their player do well but that's just pathetic. Pulisic looked really good in the Super Cup game, I think he can offer a lot here, but it will be difficult for him to compete with Mount and CHO at the moment. But I think he should be playing over Willian and Pedro. 

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Well when it's 60m we could spend on someone else, I do. 

I'm all for giving him slack and time to adjust. Not a problem with that. I'm just highlighting that he is again another failed piece of recruitment. 60m to sit behind the kids is not good management on the field at least. Not sure if he might pay some dividends in the American sponsorship market. Probably not if he sits on the bench.

That's a harsh conclusion to draw in September about a 21-year old who's yet to settle. Why not give him some more time (especially on the pitch) before burning him and the recruiters down?

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

So you've decided he's a failure after 6 weeks? Do you seriously think that's a fair time period to assess a young signing? 

You know I call a spade a spade dkw. 60m to be our 5th choice winger is not good recruitment.

Now of course he may well improve as he settles and I hope he does. What I've seen so far, particularly against pretty poor opposition on Wednesday doesn't bode well. What worries me in particular is that he speaks the language and played a similar style of pressing game at Dortmund. The adaption shouldn't have been as big as it has been for others.

But I agree that was perhaps a bit forceful. Lets see where he is at come Christmas. I won't put him in the Marko Marin column just yet.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

You know I call a spade a spade dkw. 60m to be our 5th choice winger is not good recruitment.

Now of course he may well improve as he settles and I hope he does. What I've seen so far, particularly against pretty poor opposition on Wednesday doesn't bode well. What worries me in particular is that he speaks the language and played a similar style of pressing game at Dortmund. The adaption shouldn't have been as big as it has been for others.

But I agree that was perhaps a bit forceful. Lets see where he is at come Christmas. I won't put him in the Marko Marin column just yet.

Well for being such a big talent he really didn't show much yet...but I think he's adapting fine, it's easier for the players that were already in our system to adapt, if you look at his games he is often leaving a lot of space for Mount or Barkley, he's very versatile but still not doing as well as he can. Given our history with not having patience with talented players I think it's a good idea to not say much and just wait and see how he will do, hopefully he plays today.

20 hours ago, Dixons said:

It's quite tiresome how every young player we have is told to leave if they aren't playing every week. Remember how many people said RLC absolutely HAD to leave to Newcastle or crystal palace. 

Edited by bisright1
20 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Well for being such a big talent he really didn't show much yet...but I think he's adapting fine, it's easier for the players that were already in our system to adapt, if you look at his games he is often leaving a lot of space for Mount or Barkley, he's very versatile but still not doing as well as he can. Given our history with not having patience with talented players I think it's a good idea to not say much and just wait and see how he will do, hopefully he plays today.

That is fair. Though with CHO back I'm not sure he'll even be on the bench today. Be interesting to see. Likely a choice between him and a returning Giroud.

Edited by Spiller86

8 hours ago, Slojo said:

Sadly we seem to have some really sh*t pundits, Hoddle, Ruud, Burley and don't even get me started on that dick head Chris Sutton. It would be nice to have a bit of bias and protection coming our way from the media people for a change, sadly none of them offer it. 

That ESPN show is an embarrassment, I saw it pop up on my youtube "Should Pulisic leave in January", didn't bother giving it the click, how embarrassing is that, it's September... I know they're an American broadcast and they want to see their player do well but that's just pathetic. Pulisic looked really good in the Super Cup game, I think he can offer a lot here, but it will be difficult for him to compete with Mount and CHO at the moment. But I think he should be playing over Willian and Pedro. 

Agree completely.  That entire ESPN panel is complete garbage.  They seem to actively seek out ways to talk sh*t about Chelsea, but are really bad in their opinions overall.  If they think Pulisic is being handled poorly by Frank and he should leave, I’m confident he’ll come good given time.

Just now, mwblue10 said:

Agree completely.  That entire ESPN panel is complete garbage.  They seem to actively seek out ways to talk sh*t about Chelsea, but are really bad in their opinions overall.  If they think Pulisic is being handled poorly by Frank and he should leave, I’m confident he’ll come good given time.

Way too early to write him off just yet, I must admit that I'm surprised that he hasn't played more, so I'm assuming Frank must know Willian and Pedro are putting better performances in behind the scenes. 

I think he's a good player and he's still very young. 

3 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Way too early to write him off just yet, I must admit that I'm surprised that he hasn't played more, so I'm assuming Frank must know Willian and Pedro are putting better performances in behind the scenes. 

I think he's a good player and he's still very young. 

Bringing him along slowly like Frank is doing could pay off in the long run.  No huge pressure and gives him time to improve physically, which is what I think he needs to succeed in the PL.

5 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Bringing him along slowly like Frank is doing could pay off in the long run.  No huge pressure and gives him time to improve physically, which is what I think he needs to succeed in the PL.

He obviously needs to be showing something in training that he isn't now. 

But as long as he does that he shouldn't be worried. Two of the three players ahead of him are over 30 and do not impact the goal. He will get opportunities, a lot of them, he just has to take them when they come. 

16 hours ago, Slojo said:

That ESPN show is an embarrassment, 

The one pundit I do like from that channel is Shaka Hislop, the rest define the word ameteur.

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

He obviously needs to be showing something in training that he isn't now. 

But as long as he does that he shouldn't be worried. Two of the three players ahead of him are over 30 and do not impact the goal. He will get opportunities, a lot of them, he just has to take them when they come. 

That's a fair way of looking at it. Pedro and Willian are both in their last season or two here. He'll get a chance at some stage.

Problem is we'll have lots of money this summer to properly replace Hazard. We may well end up buying more players who go ahead of him. 

8 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

The way Klopp did it with Robertson & Fabinho was a master stroke. Hopefully will be a similar situation to Pulisic.

Of  course he wanted to play more, I'd be worried if a 21 year old big money signing just happy with a cameo every other week. Yesterday, Lampard could have easily picked Pulisic, Pedro played because of his experience and to be honest he was pretty average even by his standard. It's taking longer than people expected for him to settle, but it's still way too early, and the sudden rise of Mount pushed him down the pecking order, so it's not all bad news.

15 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

This. The kid obviously has the skill but he needs time to come to terms with the tempo and physicality of the EPL. A lot of parallels with Jorginho last season I feel.