mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post

Is there any difference today between the shedend forum and talk Chelsea forum? It is getting harder and harder to tell the two apart. 

I seriously can't believe there are people who can't see the actual stupidity in saying that Sarri is not good enough and at the same wanting a championship manager to replace him. Not because that championship manager is a good manager, but simply because he used to play for Chelsea. Sarri was managing the second best team in Italy before joining Chelsea setting a record for the most points ever for a Serie A who didn't win the title (since no one can match Juventus's deep pockets in Italy). Frank has 1 average season in the championship under his belt. The fact the the club are apparently considering an average championship manager that Derby apparently have no issue letting go. If Frank is not good enough for Derby to try to hold onto him how is he good enough for Chelsea. 

So answer me how is Sarri not good enough for Chelsea , when Frank who is objectively worse as a manager good enough??? 

Lampard will be 41 next month - same age as Jose when he joined us!

Admittedly Jose had just won the champs league ?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Is there any difference today between the shedend forum and talk Chelsea forum? It is getting harder and harder to tell the two apart. 

I seriously can't believe there are people who can't see the actual stupidity in saying that Sarri is not good enough and at the same wanting a championship manager to replace him. Not because that championship manager is a good manager, but simply because he used to play for Chelsea. Sarri was managing the second best team in Italy before joining Chelsea setting a record for the most points ever for a Serie A who didn't win the title (since no one can match Juventus's deep pockets in Italy). Frank has 1 average season in the championship under his belt. The fact the the club are apparently considering an average championship manager that Derby apparently have no issue letting go. If Frank is not good enough for Derby to try to hold onto him how is he good enough for Chelsea. 

So answer me how is Sarri not good enough for Chelsea , when Frank who is objectively worse as a manager good enough??? 

I don't see people saying he isn't good enough? They're just saying that he had some poor traits. His big flaw for me is not trying to connect with the fans and club. Is that important? Well, the way Klopp and Pep create an aura around their respective clubs, leads me to believe it does make a difference. 

He doesn't care about the club and doesn't seem to have enjoyed his time here. He is the one choosing to leave us. About 80% of us would rather he stayed another year or two.

Lampard's experience has nothing to do with Sarri's. Sarri isn't being sacked to accommodate Lampard. Who else we going to get in with a transfer ban in place?

Edited by Adamrb

14 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Calm down. 

I think most Chelsea fans are well aware of the issues/concerns surrounding a possible appointment of Frank Lampard. These concerns are well documented in this very thread. 

It doesn't mean to say that the same fans can't be excited at the prospect of a club legend taking over.

Lampard is a intelligent, hard working, well respected club legend who has extremely good knowledge of the English game, and who has worked under some of the greatest Managers in footballing history. He is adored by Chelsea fans, and has a good connection with the owner. 

There are no guarantee's in football, but whilst the lack of experience is an unavoidable flaw in his credentials, there are plenty of reasons to believe he could be a success. 

per Guardiola had 4 seasons of lower league Management prior to taking over the Barcelona first team in La Liga. They put their faith in him and look how that panned out. 

Stop getting your panties in a bunch and focus on the positives as opposed to the negatives and you will have a lot more fun this season ?

The ticket is Lampard + Jody Morris. That's why it makes sense, given the position we are in and the prospects we have.

It's a brave move, and it's a risk but the rewards could be great over time and I'd applaud the board for taking this gamble (if they do).

If Lampard is appointed, than that would be going against the grain of every manager appointment Roman has ever made.

It's the managerial equivalent of asking Tammy Abraham to be our centre forward 3 years ago ...

I'm really struggling to get my head round the lack of experience. Would not be at all surprised to see Mourinho Pt 3 or Benitez Pt 2, or some other experienced candidate coming out of left field that we haven't even thought about yet ....

3 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

If Lampard is appointed, than that would be going against the grain of every manager appointment Roman has ever made.

It's the managerial equivalent of asking Tammy Abraham to be our centre forward 3 years ago ...

I'm really struggling to get my head round the lack of experience. Would not be at all surprised to see Mourinho Pt 3 or Benitez Pt 2, or some other experienced candidate coming out of left field that we haven't even thought about yet ....

my head definately wouldn't get round Mourinho 3 or Rafa 2

45 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

The Sarri keyboard army are clinging on, but sorry its to late, he's leaving, let it go. It might not work out with Frank, but lets enjoy it, us fans maybe stupid, and are being led by our heart, but who cares, I for one couldn't endure Sarri for another season. 

2 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

I remember a time when Chelsea was a club with ambition aspiring to win The Premier League and the Champions League, it was so long ago. Now Chelsea is a club with such a small club mentality that many are fizzing with excitement that a Championship manager from the European Superpower of Derby may take a step down to the tiny little upstart known as Chelsea. 

Times have changed.  With Liverpool & City spending stupid money, we need to find other ways to compete.  Those days where we outspend everybody are over.  Add in the transfer ban, and the dynamic for Chelsea is very different now.

We need to adapt.

12 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Is Cech still technically at Arsenal or has he joined us? Or is it still a rumour at this stage?

I might be wrong but I think a lot of professional contracts expire at the end of June?

So possibly he's still under contract but once that's run down I assume he's free to go and do what he wants. 

20 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Times have changed.  With Liverpool & City spending stupid money, we need to find other ways to compete.  Those days where we outspend everybody are over.  Add in the transfer ban, and the dynamic for Chelsea is very different now.

We need to adapt.

Yeah but dropping down to the Championship so we can have a chance of the league is a bit much.

56 minutes ago, chi blue said:

The Sarri keyboard army are clinging on, but sorry its to late, he's leaving, let it go. It might not work out with Frank, but lets enjoy it, us fans maybe stupid, and are being led by our heart, but who cares, I for one couldn't endure Sarri for another season. 

Luckily you won’t need to endure trophies for a while either.

I am dreading Lampard being announced and can't see a future where this doesn't end badly.  Sometimes club legends can just be club legends.

17 minutes ago, Mod Stark said:

They're all coming back ain't they! We'll be able to field the 2005 team next season at this rate!

728xauto.jpg

sky just doubled our transfer ban....

Chelsea are facing the prospect of a two-year transfer ban but would be appointing two figures with a deep understanding of the club should Lampard return alongside his Derby assistant Jody Morris.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/20876/11741828/chelsea-to-make-frank-lampard-approach-before-juventus-confirm-sarri-deal

16 hours ago, RickUK said:

It's Lampard. As far as i am concerned soon as Sarri is announced, Lampard will be done in days

I think he will survive the first days. First months even... 

1 minute ago, Kev56 said:

f**k me there's some miserable dicks on here.

Indeed.

Frank may only have a year of managerial experience.  But he solves several of the issues I had with Sarri.  Namely his tactically inflexibility, his ineffective substitutions, his inability to connect with supporters, not integrating youth.

I think what many people are not understanding here is that this coming season is a lower expectation year of transition.  We are not allowed to register new players.  On paper, we are not as good as we were last season.  Our best player is gone.  We couldn't replace him under the best of conditions.  What we have on the roster now is what we have for the season.  Would I trust Sarri to develop and integrate several youth players?  Not with any confidence.  Frank & Jody showed they could do that.  With two Chelsea loanees.  

No one knows better the glory days of Chelsea under Roman.  He knows what the expectations are from the club perspective, and from what the supporters want.  

With the lowered expectations, he gets a year to improve himself as a manager, learn a lot of things about managing a big club, and big personalities.  At the end of the year, we will know a lot more about our youth players, who we should buy, and whether Frank is the right guy.  

When Frank arrived from West Ham, few predicted he'd have the playing career he did. He worked hard to make himself great.  I can allow for the possibility that he will do the same as manager.

Choosing Frank Lampard to be Chelsea's next manager is a very different approach to any previous managerial appointments. Roman has generally gone with experienced high quality coaches. Jose, Scolari, Gus, Carlo, Conte and some might say Benitez . He is a business man and he generally makes good business decisions, but not in every single instance. Avram Grant was a bit of an emotional appointment. They were friends and Grant was definitely a left field choice. De Matteo was also a bit of a decision made by the heart. AVB anyone.

Every now and then Chelsea make a different type of managerial appointment and Frank's appointment would fit in with that pattern. Even if this is the case there still needs to be a narrative backing up such a decision. Apart from being a Chelsea and Premier League legend he is very intelligent, with an IQ of 150, putting him among the .5% most intelligent people. He knows the club and what is expected. He is perfectly at ease with the media attention and knows how to deal with TV commitments. He has played and worked with the very best football managers in the world and wasn't just a one trick pony on the pitch. By all accounts he has a terrific work ethic and would often take on extra training for his own good. I think Franks success on the pitch was down to many things. Hard work, quick thinking and his vision of the game. His best quality was always his ability to score and he did this by making late intelligent runs into the box and letting fly with good quality finishes. He could score from all distances but the main quality was he generally made a good decision and timed his runs perfectly, ending up scoring. Decision making isn't generally noticed among fans but Frank didn't become the Premier Leagues highest scoring midfielder by accident. It was deliberate and he was the best.

Without a quality centre forward next year the team could do with scoring midfielder or two. Maybe Frank can conjure up something with Jody and get a smart intelligent midfielder, or two, to score more goals next season.