mad_mac

Chelsea's next manager - evergreen post

4 hours ago, chi blue said:

Can't wait, and Frank announced tomorrow as manager?.....bring it on!!!

You actually want an inexperienced championship manager running Chelsea?

59 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

Pep's only experience before taking over Barcelona was managing the B team. He then went on to help create one of the greatest teams of all time winning basically everything

Zidane's previous experience before taking over Madrid was managing their B team, Madrid went on to win 3 Champions League's in a row

Tired of hearing this narrative about experience

No idea why people would even consider Mourinho coming back.

I love Mourinho, he's probably our greatest manager of all time but he would be a truly awful appointment. It wasn't long ago that he had us almost battling relegation and despite spending vast sums at Utd they were absolutely awful before he left

We need long term, Mourinho is as short term as they come. We have a group of extremely talented young players coming through that are our future. We need a manager who is going to show faith in them and afford them opportunities, Mourinho is the wrong man for that job. I'd hate to see a repeat of the De Bruyne and Salah situation again, both players were not given a chance and are now two of the best players in the League playing for our direct rivals, Mata was easily one of our best players and one of the most productive in the League but was cast aside for Oscar due to work rate

I hate to say it, but Mourinho is kinda broken right now. He's lost the dressing room in his last 3 jobs and has lost the magic that made him special all those years ago.

We appointed Sarri to move onto a more expansive, attacking style of play and to create a new identity. The foundations have been placed from last season, appointing Mourinho would mean those foundations would be ripped up and in a few years we'll probably be in a mess with no direction

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kiwi1691 said:

I want a manager that brings fans together and when I get up each weekend to spend my hard earned money watching us, a manager that fills me with a bit of excitement with way his team are playing and a manager who is Chelsea through and through and who maybe feels a little of the hurt us fans feel, when it doesn't go right, a manager who knows how this bizzare club works, rather a young up an coming manager whose a club legend than an ageing foreign manager such as Rafa, Jose, Allegri etc, who are just coming for the money. So to answer your question, yes I do want a young inexperienced championship manager as our next manager, but he isn't any old inexperienced championship manager!!!

Edited by chi blue

1 hour ago, Sparkz said:

Pep's only experience before taking over Barcelona was managing the B team. He then went on to help create one of the greatest teams of all time winning basically everything

Zidane's previous experience before taking over Madrid was managing their B team, Madrid went on to win 3 Champions League's in a row

Barcelona B team though would beat most teams in the prem... and they have a similar weight of expectation to do so... Same with Madrid, 

20 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Barcelona B team though would beat most teams in the prem... 

No, they really wouldnt. 

Long term ! No chance at Chelsea. 2 seasons is the most any future manager will get under RA regardless of whether it’s an established name or an ex legend just starting out in management. It’s folly to hope that RA will rip  up his playbook & issue a ‘5 year masterplan’ integrating the finest of the youth / loan army into an established squad of internationals who’ve won a trophy a season upon average the last few seasons. Let’s get real here, whomever is our next manager will still have to get top 4 regardless of any external constraints like a transfer ban. Managers come to CFC for a pay day pure & simple, not a chance to ‘build’ something great over time and leave a long-standing legacy. So let’s sit back & enjoy the circus for another season. Man U on the opening day, then Vermin in the super cup - what prospective candidate could resist ! 

Carefree then !!

2 hours ago, coco said:

Ralf Rangnick enters the race.

Apparently he took up a new role with Red Bull 9 days ago as "Head of Soccer Development". 

So although you obviously cannot rule anything out it would be a strange one. 

1 hour ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Barcelona B team though would beat most teams in the prem... and they have a similar weight of expectation to do so... Same with Madrid, 

Also, the team he stepped into at Barca was quite a bit better than we'll be this season.

Just now, Boston Blue said:

Also, the team he stepped into at Barca was quite a bit better than we'll be this season.

But Frank won't be expected to win the league and Champions League at first time of asking will he? 

He'll have realistic goals based on the squad we have and the fact we have a transfer ban. 

The reason Pep was a success at Barca was not just his ability but the fact he was a good fit for the club, based mainly on the fact he was a former player. Frank can potentially succeed at Chelsea for the same reason(s) despite limited managerial experience. 

46 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

But Frank won't be expected to win the league and Champions League at first time of asking will he? 

He'll have realistic goals based on the squad we have and the fact we have a transfer ban. 

The reason Pep was a success at Barca was not just his ability but the fact he was a good fit for the club, based mainly on the fact he was a former player. Frank can potentially succeed at Chelsea for the same reason(s) despite limited managerial experience. 

Pep proved to be a great fit and did well.  Frank may be the same.  Or he may not.  We just don't know after one season in the Championship.

I do know that we would all be up in arms if we were linked to a manager who had managed exactly one season in the Championship and missed the playoffs.  We're looking at the name and his playing history.

I don't know what Frank's mandate will be.  For 16 years, the mandate to managers has been CL football and trophies.  Are we suddenly veering off into a different direction?  What if we spend this year in the CL, miss the top 4 and end up back in the EL (or worse, miss Europe completely)?  Are we OK with he financial and prestige hit?  Are we going to be able to attract players once we can buy again if we are not in the CL?  

We are asking for patience from a club and supporter base that has not traditionally had any.  

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Apparently he took up a new role with Red Bull 9 days ago as "Head of Soccer Development". 

So although you obviously cannot rule anything out it would be a strange one. 

Strange because he is the definition of long term plan, something we don't do.

I have, and I think quite a few others on this forum have too, resigned myself to the fact that this is going to drag out until July at minimum.  Wonder what the bookies odds are that both Sarri to Juventus and Chelsea hiring their new manager both happen in June?

2 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

I do know that we would all be up in arms if we were linked to a manager who had managed exactly one season in the Championship and missed the playoffs.  We're looking at the name and his playing history

But that’s the point we’re not talking about any Tom, Dick or Harry we’re talking about Sir Frank Lampard.

A Chelsea legend, managing Chelsea carries so much more weight and prestige than someone with no affiliation with the club.

Why do you think the likes of Di Matteo, Clarke, Zola have all been assistant managers before? Because they know the club.

Frank being manager is different precisely because of who he was as a player.

Will it work out? Who knows but he has a better chance because of the time and success he had with us as a player than appointing Lee Bowyer for example.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

But that’s the point we’re not talking about any Tom, Dick or Harry we’re talking about Sir Frank Lampard.

A Chelsea legend, managing Chelsea carries so much more weight and prestige than someone with no affiliation with the club.

Why do you think the likes of Di Matteo, Clarke, Zola have all been assistant managers before? Because they know the club.

Will it work out? Who knows but he has a better chance because of the time and success he had with us as a player than appointing Lee Bowyer for example.

OK, I certainly understand your point.  But assistants are an entirely different animal.

RDM was an assistant and interim, and once he got the job permanently because he was in charge during the CL win, it did not go well.  The one permanent appointment under Roman which was made for sentimental/emotional reasons.  I don't think Roman ever wanted him permanently, and was pressured into it because of Munich.

Zola has never had a successful stint as a manager, and is a Chelsea legend.  If he had some success, don't we think he'd be given more consideration as our next manager?  He's a Chelsea legend.  Knows the club inside & out.  Has managerial experience.  Fresh from working under Sarri as an assistant at Chelsea.  

I think there are great reasons to hire Lampard.  And I think we are right to have some reservations about him.  And I also think it is right for Frank to have some reservations over accepting, if it's offered.  

Edited by Boston Blue

15 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

It’s not different, his Chelsea connection doesn’t make him a good manager, it doesn’t make him a fit for us. What’s he going to do with no money and no goal scorers? 

7 hours ago, Sparkz said:

Gary Neville's previous experience was, oh wait

8 minutes ago, cuppaT said:

It’s not different, his Chelsea connection doesn’t make him a good manager, it doesn’t make him a fit for us. What’s he going to do with no money and no goal scorers? 

I’m not saying it makes him a good manager I’m saying his ties with Chelsea are what puts him under consideration despite his lack of experience because he already knows and understands the club.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sparkz said:

Both had far superior teams to Chelsea, go look at the squad Pep had at his disposal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_FC_Barcelona_season#Squad_information

Barca had Eto'o and Messi both banging in goals, unfair.

Zidane also inherited a squad built around the goal machine Ronaldo, and had recently won the champions league under Carlo. Madrid had some issues because they sacked Carlo and appointed the FSW. 

3 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

Pep proved to be a great fit and did well.  Frank may be the same.  Or he may not.  We just don't know after one season in the Championship.

I do know that we would all be up in arms if we were linked to a manager who had managed exactly one season in the Championship and missed the playoffs.  We're looking at the name and his playing history.  

Exactly, if the media linked Chelsea to someone who had the same qualifications as Frank but was not him, people on this forum would be outraged.  

Edited by kiwi1691

Allegri has confirmed he will take a year off.  Scratch him off the short list...…..

I don't think he was the right guy.  And apparently he didn't think Chelsea was the right situation.

2 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Allegri has confirmed he will take a year off.  Scratch him off the short list...…..

I don't think he was the right guy.  And apparently he didn't think Chelsea was the right situation.

FSW moves up the list?  Heaven help us.