The THREE you're most looking forward to watching and the TWO...

GhostOfDembaBa

You're least looking forward to seeing -  and why.

(Chelsea players, obviously.)

Loftus Cheek

Easily my favourite player to watch in the current squad. Such a great blend of composure, technique, physical power. He's got that graceful way of playing but with the physicality to bully players and not be out-muscled. 

He'll be getting a more important role, hopefully, as soon as he's fit and I'm looking forward to seeing him take more responsibility as a key player. 

Hudson Odoi

His directness is so refreshing after watching players like Hazard and Willian on the wings who like to slow the play down too often. Good dribbler, pacy, likes to shoot and gets in good crosses. He's still young and too much shouldn't be expected but he is definitely the best winger in the team already for me.

Reece James

With Zappacosta still here and Azpi likely to be first choice fullback, I don't think he'll feature much, but this is another player I like because of his physical style of play combined with good technique and ability on the ball. Who knows, he might be able to put in a few good crosses unlike the rest of the current fullbacks. 

_

Alonso 

We've seen enough to know Alonso just isn't a very good full back, especially defensively, and is more suited to a wingback role as was the case with Conte. He keeps coming up with goals and obviously tries hard every times he's out there, so not the kind of player to be easily critical of, but I had been hoping the Atletico rumours were true so that someone else would be given a chance in that position alongside Emerson.

Azpilicueta

He's been a superb player over the years but at right back, it's starting to look a bit like the Ivanovic situation where teams would happily allow him to have the ball knowing there was close to zero threat most times coming that way. 

He did well as an offensive right back in games under Benitez but that was when he was younger, fresher. These days, even in one vs ones when he's not chasing back, he looks to be having a lot of difficulty. He's likely to get a lot of minutes being the captain and the most experienced player, so we might be seeing a lot of blunt attacking play down the right flank, unfortunately.

For me it would be Reece James, Tammy Abraham, and Mason Mount (I feel like I could put a good decent amount of players in this list).

Reece - with the campaign he had at Wigan, I want to see what he does in the premier league. The few matches I saw, he was absolutely amazing. I want to see if by Christmas he has pushed Azpi to CB or LB since he has played both. If not by Christmas by the spring. Need him to get healthy so we can see him for real in the premier league.

Tammy - I am ready to see what he can do in the premier league with decent quality around him. Not what he had at Swansea. I think the kid could be that striker that we have been searching for because Giroud is not getting any younger and Batshuayi hasn't been the most consistent. I do like Bats but I don't know if his style fits ours.

Mason - I mean, in all honesty, I could've added RLC, CHO etc but those two being injured, I don't think we are going to see them at their fullest abilities at any time this season. It will be next year for them for me. But I am ready to watch Mason grow further under Frank. In all reality I'm excited to watch Ross as well and see how he improves under Frank as well, but let's be honest, Mason has loads of potential and he is starting well in preseason. If Mason pushes Ross and they both are competing for the no 10 role then obviously that is a win-win for Chelsea. 

Not exactly looking forward to Alonso and Zappacosta:

Alonso - I think if Frank switches it up to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 then Alonso has a good deal to offer, but in a back 4 I think he is more of a liability. Plus, you can't really afford to have your LB banging forward and playing next to the striker in the opponents box. It's great when he scores, and he does have a knack for scoring some big goals in some big games, but his lack of pace and his playing so far out of position it compromises the entire back 4 makes it not worth it for me.

Zappacosta - This was one of those signings that I didn't see it working out well from the beginning but one of those you hoped that the scouts knew something and they were right and you were wrong. His crossing isn't all that amazing. He sometimes has flashes but you don't really trust him against the top teams of the premier league. If he stays I don't know when he gets into the squad because I have Azpi and Reece ahead of him and it's by a decent amount.

3 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Out of curiosity, why do you list Kepa there?

I don't think it's meant to be a knock on him. 

I will echo those above. Mount, James and Odoi are my 3. Least excited to see Alonso and Pedro. We know what both can and can't do already and in Pedro's case he's getting up there in years. I don't expect much from him at all. 

Looking forward to seeing

Christian Pulisic - as a fan of US Soccer, this is the best field player the US has produced. It's not a high bar to climb, but he's got tremendous talent

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - just a cruel injury from a player who was performing so well at the end of the last season. Hopefully he can get back to where he left off, because we're going to need the attacking threat.

Jorginho - Second season in the EPL, will he have a role with more freedom? More importantly, the attacking players should have more freedom which should open up his creativity.

Not Looking forward to --

Pulisic - I'm cheating on this one, but I'm nervous about this. When a player like him comes to your favorite club with that price tag, expectations are huge. If/When he struggles at my club, it will hurt double the criticism he'll face from the media and our own fans. Him struggling at Dortmund or Liverpool or anywhere else is one thing, but your favorite national player getting stick from your own fellow fans, and with it the inevitable shots taken at the US... well, let's say this one has the potential to get ugly.

The Strike Force - Playing two poachers like Abraham and Batshuayi together in the pre-season didn't make a lot of sense. Giroud's best quality is bringing others into the play, but our attacking options are so limited right now, that his biggest strength is wasted. The club actually looked forward thinking with its deal for Pulisic in January, but we're left with Wasn't Ever Good Enough, Not Good Enough, and Not Experienced Enough, as our options right now (harsh, but not all together untrue).

Bonus - Another season of watching Willian throw his hands in the air.

Looking forward:

Ruben Loftus Cheek
One of my favorites, last season at his best he looked amazing. Big presence in the midfield and could score from outside the box, also a header threat. If he can avoid injuries he can boss the midfield.

Christian Pulisic
Our big signing before the transfer ban. Projected as the next superstar that likes to take on players and is very versatile. Didn't care about the summer break and joined the pre-season as soon as he could pretty much.

Antonio Rudiger
After last season I can only get hyped knowing that we have this man in our squad. Great player full of passion and energy on and off the pitch. He has become our key player for this season and we really need him to play well.

Not looking forward:

Willian
I sense he will have problems and won't be happy. 

Mateo Kovacic
He will be once again spending the most time on the bench and that won't make him happy.

Looking forward to watching

Hudson-Odoi - Probably the most exciting young player we have had since Terry. I'm excited to see if he can live up to the hype, we seen glimpses of it last season and I can't wait to see more of him this season.

Pulisic - I'm still unsure on how good he actually is, but he's our big signing for the season, everybody is keen to see how well he will do.

Kante - I personally didn't like his role under Sarri and I'm hoping Lampard plays him in a deeper role and getting him doing what he does best. I'm not saying he should only play as a destroyer, he's much more than that, but I think he and we look so much better when he is sitting deeper and protecting the defence. 

Not looking forward to watching

Willian - Last season was his last chance to prove me wrong, and he failed. People would say he would be much better playing for an attacking team, he would score and create more goals, but it didn't happen, especially in the league. I am already seeing people say he will be better now because he will play on left this season, but I can't see it happening, it's just more excuses. It will be more of the same from Willian this season.

Our Strikers - I'm cheating a bit here, but I can't just pick one of them. I feel like it's going to be painful to watch our 3 strikers this season. Giroud is a decent backup striker, but that is all he is at this point in his career. I'm not sure Batshuayi will ever be good enough for a top team. I don't think he is a poor striker, but when it comes to playing against teams that sit back, I'm just not confident he can make an impact in those games. Abraham has never really struck me as a player that will turn into something special. I have rarely seen him do much by himself, he almost seems entirely dependent on the rest of the team to get goals. 

James - I think he’ll push Azpilicueta all the way this season once he’s back fit. He’ll probably displace him in all honesty which makes me a little sad as I love Azpi. Alternatively, he might give him the completion to raise his game to another level, James has the plus side of being versatile in where he can play. I’m really looking forward to him hooking starting to get game time.

Abraham - I think I’ve said it before, I think he’ll be our first choice striker come the seasons end. He needs a little bit of work to refine his game but he’s still young enough to do that, his hold up play, and goalscoring ability can’t be overlooked. He has all the attributes to be a really really good player for us.

Mount - I had high hopes for him for years but I didn’t expect him to be knocking on the door to the first team this quickly but he’s now had to brilliant loans and he’s done himself absolutely no harm in the pre-season games either, with Rubens injury this is a brilliant chance for Mason to stake a claim for a regular place. His timing at the edge of the box is Lampard-esque and if he can be half the player Lamps was he’ll be brilliant. 

Alonso - Unfortunately I just don’t see him contributing much unless he’s used against smaller/weaker teams to give us an additional goal threat, but big games I really don’t want to see him starting as his lack of pace leads to him getting slaughtered against any winger with pace.

Zappacosta - I just don’t feel we have any need to keep him around come January once James is properly back fit. We have Azpi and James plus other players which could cover in an injury crisis. I don’t think he’s ever really been Chelsea standard but we probably won’t see much of him anyway.

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Looking forward to watching

Hudson-Odoi - Probably the most exciting young player we have had since Terry. I'm excited to see if he can live up to the hype, we seen glimpses of it last season and I can't wait to see more of him this season.

Pulisic - I'm still unsure on how good he actually is, but he's our big signing for the season, everybody is keen to see how well he will do.

Kante - I personally didn't like his role under Sarri and I'm hoping Lampard plays him in a deeper role and getting him doing what he does best. I'm not saying he should only play as a destroyer, he's much more than that, but I think he and we look so much better when he is sitting deeper and protecting the defence. 

Willian - Last season was his last chance to prove me wrong, and he failed. People would say he would be much better playing for an attacking team, he would score and create more goals, but it didn't happen, especially in the league. I am already seeing people say he will be better now because he will play on left this season, but I can't see it happening, it's just more excuses. It will be more of the same from Willian this season.

Our Strikers - I'm cheating a bit here, but I can't just pick one of them. I feel like it's going to be painful to watch our 3 strikers this season. Giroud is a decent backup striker, but that is all he is at this point in his career. I'm not sure Batshuayi will ever be good enough for a top team. I don't think he is a poor striker, but when it comes to playing against teams that sit back, I'm just not confident he can make an impact in those games. Abraham has never really struck me as a player that will turn into something special. I have rarely seen him do much by himself, he almost seems entirely dependent on the rest of the team to get goals. 

I was between Kante and James in the OP. Agree completely with what you've said about him. It's a joy watching the little man cleanly nick the ball off players and motor forward or set the counter off when he's playing deep in his original position. We missed seeing that as often as in the past with Sarri's system. Seeing Kante in his prime doing what he does best is sight to behold, so I'm really hoping we get more of the pre-Sarri version of him - and less of the running all over trying to cover for two other not very mobile players behind him whilst also trying to get in the box regularly to score.

Would be Loftus, but no idea when he'll be back, so Pulisic, CHO and Mount.   After all the hype and the transfer saga i'm especially looking forward to seeing CHO - All hype or the real deal?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Not looking forward to Dave plodding up and down to no great effect. Defo don't want anymore of last seasons "performances" from Kova.

6 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think anyone is expecting a significant improvement from Willian, that obviously won't happen. The trick to replacing Hazard in the new set up isn't of one man, it's by every player improving by a little.

For Willian that would be 5/6 league goals and around 10 in all comps which I would say is a realistic target he should hit playing from a more favourable position.

Mason Mount - This guy is a huge talent, and I genuinely think he will break into the first team early in the season. I reckon he’s going to be our top goal scorer.

Reece James - Excited to see what he has to offer, he should be up there with the likes of Wan Bissaka and Trent.

Pulisic - Hopefully he can be our Hazard - Clearly no where as good but it’s always nice to have a winger who can beat players.

———————

Zappacosta, Drinkwater & Bakayoko

Hopefully all 3 will be sold.

Mount, Loftus Cheek and Hudson Odoi, given a proper run of games and a good chance to be in starting 11.  For me the three most exciting players.  Not made my mind up on Tammy yet as not seen too much to be that excited about.  Oh and Pulisic.

Don't think we'll see much of a different player from Willian this season, just hope he stops taking corners really.

Very much looking forward to Mount and Tammy getting a chance to impress, hopefully saving us a tidy some next season not having to sign players for their positions. Hopeful that the third can be Reece James. It’s all about the kids this season. 

Not looking forward to Bakayoko continuing to be complete sh*te and Willian frustrating the living hell out of me. 

On 30/07/2019 at 13:49, GhostOfDembaBa said:

You're least looking forward to seeing -  and why.

(Chelsea players, obviously.)

Loftus Cheek

Easily my favourite player to watch in the current squad. Such a great blend of composure, technique, physical power. He's got that graceful way of playing but with the physicality to bully players and not be out-muscled. 

He'll be getting a more important role, hopefully, as soon as he's fit and I'm looking forward to seeing him take more responsibility as a key player. 

Hudson Odoi

His directness is so refreshing after watching players like Hazard and Willian on the wings who like to slow the play down too often. Good dribbler, pacy, likes to shoot and gets in good crosses. He's still young and too much shouldn't be expected but he is definitely the best winger in the team already for me.

Reece James

With Zappacosta still here and Azpi likely to be first choice fullback, I don't think he'll feature much, but this is another player I like because of his physical style of play combined with good technique and ability on the ball. Who knows, he might be able to put in a few good crosses unlike the rest of the current fullbacks. 

_

Alonso 

We've seen enough to know Alonso just isn't a very good full back, especially defensively, and is more suited to a wingback role as was the case with Conte. He keeps coming up with goals and obviously tries hard every times he's out there, so not the kind of player to be easily critical of, but I had been hoping the Atletico rumours were true so that someone else would be given a chance in that position alongside Emerson.

Azpilicueta

He's been a superb player over the years but at right back, it's starting to look a bit like the Ivanovic situation where teams would happily allow him to have the ball knowing there was close to zero threat most times coming that way. 

He did well as an offensive right back in games under Benitez but that was when he was younger, fresher. These days, even in one vs ones when he's not chasing back, he looks to be having a lot of difficulty. He's likely to get a lot of minutes being the captain and the most experienced player, so we might be seeing a lot of blunt attacking play down the right flank, unfortunately.

Don't need to post, you've done it for me.

Alonso should be sold and Azpi slowly ousted out of the first XI.

Archived