coco

Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) Sun 22nd Sep 16:30 GMT

1 minute ago, AlwaysRight said:

Six games in with 8 point is awful, we really need to sort the problems out at the back it's literally shipping 2 goals a game average it's ridiculous. 10 points behind the top, if we make top 6 we'll be lucky. The team has potential, but there's too many lemons in our side to be good enough to challenge for anything.

That nonsense..we are really good. Exciting as well and we will only get better and better.All the players really trying hard as well.

1 minute ago, AlwaysRight said:

Six games in with 8 point is awful, we really need to sort the problems out at the back it's literally shipping 2 goals a game average it's ridiculous. 10 points behind the top, if we make top 6 we'll be lucky. The team has potential, but there's too many lemons in our side to be good enough to challenge for anything.

that's my feeling when I look at the table. I'm not so sure our guys are lemons but we've big problems at the back. If we had Rudiger back alongside Tomori we might look a bit better but then Alonso looks weak defensively too - it's a bit of a nightmare. We can't go on conceding 2 goals per game that has to be the priority.

9 minutes ago, AlwaysRight said:

We have had some difficult games, and 3rd place has 11 points. Hardly unreachable. Plus our xP is around 11 points, so I expect us to improve WRT points as the season goes on, injured players return, Frank gains experience/savvy and our side gels.

And guess what? Our xG was significantly better than Liverpool's (1.7 vs 1.1). That points towards us conceding cheap goals, rather than Liverpool (and most other sides for that matter) consistently cutting through us and creating chances. With more time, experience and better coaching WRT set pieces our defensive woes are certainly fixable. I would rather us have that problem than not creating enough chances or giving up lots of chances.  

EDIT: And yes, injuries to the likes of Rudiger and Reece James make our defensive woes look worse than what they actually are. 

Edited by DaRick

Just now, Deino said:

We have dropped points against United, Leicester, Sheffield, Valencia and Liverpool despite having the better chances to win. All the while our rivals keep dropping silly points as well. 

Morale and feel good factor can only last so long before the real battle begins. This team needs results to keep from falling into mediocrity. 

I’m talking about the game today. But since we’re on the subject of the others, are you that surprised by those results and our current standing given the circumstances: new manager and key players with no experience in PL, transfer ban, improvements made by other teams etc? You see, I’m not and am on record somewhere on here saying I expected mid table for this season. I wasn’t a fan of the Lampard appointment or of Sarri leaving, and all the other stuff (transfer ban, uncertainty around the owner) is a major handicap. but I am hoping to be proven wrong.

In a way, I’ve accepted mediocrity as our current reality and that’s the difference between us. From that angle, you might say it’s rich of me to berate others for their negativity and you'd have a point. On the other hand, that acceptance does help me to take things in my stride. Lampard and the team are actually doing better than i thought they would. 4th place would be a major result  for me . 

Just now, carrickblue said:

that's my feeling when I look at the table. I'm not so sure our guys are lemons but we've big problems at the back. If we had Rudiger back alongside Tomori we might look a bit better but then Alonso looks weak defensively too - it's a bit of a nightmare. We can't go on conceding 2 goals per game that has to be the priority.

The dropped points against Sheffield United in particular are why we are a lower points total than expected. We definitely need to tighten up but we have a lot of key players to come in over the next few weeks. In addition to Rudi I think Reece James will make a big difference.

16 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Liverpool didn’t even play well either, they looked shattered from midweek but we still struggled.

Far too many times we are saying the same things already in games we are struggling in like Sheffield United, Man U, Valencia and today yet it’s only September. 

I know we have a young team and have the ban but we still have a squad with quality players who should be doing better and not making the mistakes we are (Dave, Alonso, Willian for example).

It wouldn’t be such an issue if we knew the time would be given but if people think we can afford to lose or draw every other game and for Frank to still be here next season then they will be in for a shock.

This is the time, that if our owner was as aggressive about the progress of the side as he once was (allegedly), that the inquest should be held about the fking idiots that wasted money on some the cr@p that we have bought so that there is no depth in senior players to draw upon. We moan about the quality of our senior players, but after Dave, Alonso, Willian, who else is there really. Jorginho and Kovacic. For a club with so many players i am amazed how thin our squad is regarding quality in depth. I saw a graphic today where we are the second largest gross spenders since 2013. £897m gross spend. Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Zappacosta! ffs.

1 minute ago, guddy69 said:

That nonsense..we are really good. Exciting as well and we will only get better and better.All the players really trying hard as well.

If we were really good, we wouldn't be 11th in the table. At the moment, we have flashes of good play but overall, I think we have been bad more often than good. The only good performances I have seen so far this season was against Liverpool in the super cup and Wolves last weak. The rest have either been a mixed bag or just straight up bad. I don't think the players should be praised for trying hard either, that should be expected in every game.

we've 5 league games before going away to Man City

home to Brighton; away to Southampton; home to Newcastle; away to Burnley and away to Watford

we should be looking at 15 points but we need to cut out the sh*te defending

5 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

If we were really good, we wouldn't be 11th in the table. At the moment, we have flashes of good play but overall, I think we have been bad more often than good. The only good performances I have seen so far this season was against Liverpool in the super cup and Wolves last weak. The rest have either been a mixed bag or just straight up bad. I don't think the players should be praised for trying hard either, that should be expected in every game.

We've underperformed our xP by around 3 points though. Plus Leicester is 3rd. Not a massive gap. 

Usually when you underperform or overperform xP and xG things even themselves out to some degree over the course of the season (hence why Liverpool didn't do as well during the second half of 2018/19 as the first - because they were overperforming their xG/xP total to start off with).

There are obviously problems but they're fairly easily identifiable and not entirely down to a flawed play-style (injury/set pieces), so I'm not too worried - yet. 

Edited by DaRick

3 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

home to Brighton; away to Southampton; home to Newcastle; away to Burnley and away to Watford

We should be looking at 15 points, but with the way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if we only managed 6 or 7. We don't have a single win at home yet, so even games against Brighton and Newcastle are hard to call right now. I also expect Burnley to give us a tough game. We tend to struggle against them more often than not.

That brings to an end a really tough opening 6 fixtures to the season. 4 games against teams in last seasons top 8. I think we shouldve picked up a couple more points, but its been hard for frank with so many injuries. 

We have some slightly kinder fixtures for the next couple of months, where hopefully we can get key players back, and have more of a settled team. 

25 minutes ago, carrickblue said:

Better chance of getting a clean sheet lol

Edited by axman2526

Definitely need to start picking up points over the next few games, I think around 11 from the next available 15 would be a decent return.

Lets not forget Klopp finished 9th in his first season.

Next season onwards will be the time to start judging Lampard.

Although getting rid of zonal marking would instantly make our defence better IMO.

By next season imagine how much better players like Tomori, Mount, Abraham, CHO and James could be.

I’ve lowered my expectations for this season and anything around 6th and our academy players improving is decent considering all the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Bats is the best natural finisher in this squad. 

And one of the least natural footballers.

It is probably unfair on my part, but I think that Batshuayi looks to be about as bright as a black hole on the pitch. Wouldn't hesitate for a second to sell if we could somewhat get back what we gave for him.

Get a grip the lot of you ! We re banned from reinforcing the team, we re having tons of injuries atm while pool and city are lucky in that regard, our team is extremely young, we are heavily.dependent on kanté ... and we still should have deversed a draw had we been more lucky with the var situation and Tammy's attempts too. Also it was kanté first game in a while ... and.look at what he did !!! Now we need to play pulisic, have less injuries, work our defence on set pieces and marking.in general. Will take a while, but I believe progress can be seen very quickly. 

VAR....twice against liverpool because of the tip of a shoe lace has changed the game on us.

Is ruining my enjoyment of the game. How can I celebrate a goal now when VAR could decide to go back 15 minutes when Willians fro or Girouds a*se is a millimeter beyond the last man and chalk it off?

Selective use, open to corruption.

3 minutes ago, goose said:

Ok old timer here. Maybe I haven’t been paying attention, or have been talking when I should have been listening.

Might setting myself up for a load of ridicule for something which is maybe very obvious, but wtf is xP and xG ratings.

Right, bare with me here as its complicated. 

Xp is eXcited Penguins, whereas Xg is eXcited Geese. It basically describes whether we're waddling along, eating fish or flying along in a v shape and honking. 

Edited by dkw

4 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

VAR....twice against liverpool because of the tip of a shoe lace has changed the game on us.

Is ruining my enjoyment of the game. How can I celebrate a goal now when VAR could decide to go back 15 minutes when Willians fro or Girouds a*se is a millimeter beyond the last man and chalk it off?

Selective use, open to corruption.

Selective use is a problem. Was it the Liverpool keeper that was a couple of feet forward of the goal line when he saved Tammy’s penalty in shootout  when the new rule clearly states that one foot must be on the line.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Right, bare with me here as its complicated. 

Xp is eXcited Penguins, whereas Xg is eXcited Geese. It basically describes whether we're waddling along, eating fish or flying along in a v shape and honking. 

Thanks @dkw. That clears it up nicely. Knew it would be f**king obvious.

4 minutes ago, goose said:

Selective use is a problem. Was it the Liverpool keeper that was a couple of feet forward of the goal line when he saved Tammy’s penalty in shootout  when the new rule clearly states that one foot must be on the line.

Yup twice used to help Liverpool beat us

The future is bright. I can't help thinking when we get our injuries back we're comfortably one of the better sides in the league. Not many teams are going to outplay Liverpool like we did in that second half. We just lacked a little bit of luck.

Try and enjoy the football we're playing and if you're feeling down just imagine how bad you'd feel if you had to watch Man U each week.