coco

Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) Sun 22nd Sep 16:30 GMT

1. We can't defend set pieces. I don't have the stats but we must be among the worst sides in the league in that respect. Something has to be done, and soon.
2. Mount struggled a bit, but it was expected given his recent injury and the quality of the opponent. Plus, I think Frank planned to sub him off later in the game, but first half injuries to Emerson and Christensen messed things up. Should have scored at the end, but hey, the boy's got character on top of his ability, and that's something.
3. Tammy worked hard and made a great effort but should have scored on a couple of very good chances. Still, valuable learning experience for our young striker.
4. Kante was clearly not 100% but what a player, never stopped running and that goal would make Messi proud.
5. The whole team deserves praise for not giving up and fighting till the final whistle. We were unlucky not to get a point out of this, but I love the spirit of this group and the attitude of the players was brilliant, despite the errors. We played with no fear against a better side and forced them to start wasting time long before the end of the match. But once again, we were poor in front of goal.
6. Christensen has no future in the club, here, I said it. The boy is too fragile both mentally and physically, he's not meant for this league and for this team. 
7. Tomori is the boss.
Christensen? I think you actually meant Zouma.

8 hours ago, ozboy said:

I thought we deserved a draw and I saw more positives for the season than negatives. No one is accepting the result but we will move up the table if we keep playing that well and keep developing. We have a great midfield and if rudigier is fit a solid back 4, alonso’s speed notwithstanding. Tammy will continue to improve. Mason mount is in the wrong position but has nowhere else to play. 

‘I reckon this performance shortens our odds of finishing top 4. We aren’t at Liverpool or man cited level but I bet we do a lot better against the other big 6 clubs. 

Boys stood up today, not beaten just ran out of time. 

Lamps needs to move Mount back into the middle with Kante & Jorginho. He is at an age where you can mould his overall game, moving him to the flanks this early is just reminiscent of Pochettino and Alli. 

The last two chances from Bats and Mount came from his crossings. 
Those are the obvious ones. Tammy would have buried those. 
Tammy would have done what? I think you missed the first half.

14 hours ago, forbzy said:

Mason Mount had the best chance right at the end. Unfortunaley he didn't show his usual calmness in front of goal at that point

Yes noticed that on the replay and also noticed him limping at times in the second.

Hopefully the team will realise they came close and use this as encouragement to push on.

Proud of the team yesterday.

We were a bit patchy but with players missing and having to change two defenders in the first half against a very good Liverpool side we did well to nearly get a result.

We all know this is a work in progress and there are some very positive signs and we must expect the odd set-back - especially with the involvement of f**king VAR which most definitely robbed us of a point yesterday.

We were never gonna win the PL this season but as long as we keep seeing progression - Onwards & upwards Blues............................

19 minutes ago, wallosh said:
14 hours ago, abramovich said:
1. We can't defend set pieces. I don't have the stats but we must be among the worst sides in the league in that respect. Something has to be done, and soon.
2. Mount struggled a bit, but it was expected given his recent injury and the quality of the opponent. Plus, I think Frank planned to sub him off later in the game, but first half injuries to Emerson and Christensen messed things up. Should have scored at the end, but hey, the boy's got character on top of his ability, and that's something.
3. Tammy worked hard and made a great effort but should have scored on a couple of very good chances. Still, valuable learning experience for our young striker.
4. Kante was clearly not 100% but what a player, never stopped running and that goal would make Messi proud.
5. The whole team deserves praise for not giving up and fighting till the final whistle. We were unlucky not to get a point out of this, but I love the spirit of this group and the attitude of the players was brilliant, despite the errors. We played with no fear against a better side and forced them to start wasting time long before the end of the match. But once again, we were poor in front of goal.
6. Christensen has no future in the club, here, I said it. The boy is too fragile both mentally and physically, he's not meant for this league and for this team. 
7. Tomori is the boss.

Christensen? I think you actually meant Zouma.

Zouma in all honesty isn't good enough, either. Unlike Andreas, he's a beast, very strong, good in the air, great athlete and has the right attitude, wouldn't let anyone to bully him. But his poor desicion making and being clumsy with a ball at his feet makes him a liability time and again. I'd love to have someone like him as a fourth choice, but he can easily start for some PL sides and at his age it would be a waste of a career.

Zouma in all honesty isn't good enough, either. Unlike Andreas, he's a beast, very strong, good in the air, great athlete and has the right attitude, wouldn't let anyone to bully him. But his poor desicion making and being clumsy with a ball at his feet makes him a liability time and again. I'd love to have someone like him as a fourth choice, but he can easily start for some PL sides and at his age it would be a waste of a career.
I agree about Zouma, but I believe Christensen can still improve his game and be a much better defender unlike Zouma.

8 hours ago, forbzy said:

I am pretty sure Liverpool benefited from the lack of a VAR review for at least one of the goals they scored at Anfield this season. VAR provides better technology but the way the rules are applied still leads to way too much inconsistency. 

The disallowed goal today was particularly gutting as nobody on the Liverpool side seemed to be complaining at the time. It felt like a review in the hope of finding something wrong in the build up.

After that decision I found myself waiting for the VAR review after Kante's great goal. In my opinion VAR will ruin the energy of game. There has to be better options.

No good crying over spilt milk however I agree with you there is somehting not right about it. I thought it was "clear and obvious error" you go to VAR ? or do we now check every goal with VAR ? strange decision. We deserved the goal and that would have changed the complection of the match.

Still so many positives though , this squad fully fit, Callum, Ruben, Rudiger, Mason (I don't think he was fit yesterday) Pulisic up to premier league speed. with a transfer window added and a bit more work on defending set pieces. We are as good as any.....Keep it up SFL. 

59 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Interesting review of the game, mentioned a point many of us have missed (admit not having read every post), that being Tammy getting clattered by Adrian.

https://www.football365.com/news/chelsea-1-2-liverpool-16-conclusions-2

17 hours ago, dkw said:

So is that not dangerous by the keeper? No var on that, what a shock. 

1 minute ago, Strider6003 said:

Good to see someone was alert 😉

I noticed it as well, if our goal was offside 'by the book', then we should of got a penalty for that 'by the book', and Henderson should be retro booked for diving when he went down with no contact.

Lampard, as usual, a bit clueless in big decisions.

Mount wasnt 100% it seemed and was the most useless attacking player we had, hes got a fully fit Pedro and Pulisic both benched because well hes a youth product, so he'll get a free pass, even if hes s**t for 90 odd minutes.

Tammy and Mount together missed serious chances and in effect, cost us at least 1 point, if not all 3 points between them.

As much as a good display against a strong side is encouraging, we're still pretty dire and if it wasnt for Utd and Spurs having relatively s**t starts themselves, we'd be well off the pace for top 4 now.

Its nearly October and we've yet to win a home game and at least one of those games was a gimme that we f**ked away a 2 goal lead. If Lampard doesnt sort out the defence we wont finish higher than 8th and nothing in the last 8 competitive matches fills me with confidence that he can., given we've not kept a single clean sheet in any of them

Think Lampard pretty much summarized everything right and wrong at this stage with Chelsea. My biggest concern is the zonal marking or lack of marking in set pieces, we are giving away a goal or at least few good chances every game with this system. Individual are culpable to the goals, but when you have multiple players making the same mistake, it looked like more system than personnel. 2 defenders marking a zone each and let the clever Firmino slide in between, it's just laughable. Alonso and Christensen aren't great defenders, but if one of them knows he has a job on Firmino, at least the marker would make the scorer work a bit harder to score. It maybe a matter of time, but the marking system has not worked, and we never looked comfortable, and to be honest I don't think it will get better soon if players just don't get it.

Can't fault the kids to score every game, and their Gk made a couple of good saves. Although I was disappointed with Michy, he had a free header and 1/2  a goal to aim at, and still missed. People wonder why he didn't get enough chances, there's a good reason, and shared by the last 3 managers. The 2 injury resulted subs really killed our momentum in the end, I dare to say another attacking sub in the last 15 would have made the difference. If we keep up this level of performance, we should be win a string of games. however, with each defeat ( regardless how we spin it towards the positives), the players confidence suffer a little.

Edited by icecoolguy22

Mount wasnt 100% it seemed and was the most useless attacking player we had, hes got a fully fit Pedro and Pulisic both benched because well hes a youth product, so he'll get a free pass, even if hes s**t for 90 odd minutes.
Tammy and Mount together missed serious chances and in effect, cost us at least 1 point, if not all 3 points between them.
As much as a good display against a strong side is encouraging, we're still pretty dire and if it wasnt for Utd and Spurs having relatively s**t starts themselves, we'd be well off the pace for top 4 now.
Its nearly October and we've yet to win a home game and at least one of those games was a gimme that we f**ked away a 2 goal lead. If Lampard doesnt sort out the defence we wont finish higher than 8th and nothing in the last 8 competitive matches fills me with confidence that he can., given we've not kept a single clean sheet in any of them

Then so be it. Last time we finished outside of the European places we walked the league the following season. Also, don't try and argue that finishing outside of the top 4 diminishes any pulling power for top quality players because we brought in one of the world's best DM's in that same summer.

57 minutes ago, Delnino said:

Thats the positive spirit mate... 

2 hours ago, coco said:

The commentators did discuss that one to be fair. I think it was Lee Dixon who pointed out that could be seen as a penalty because of the way the keeper led with his knees. If it was an outfield player that would have been a penalty for sure.

2 hours ago, Delnino said:

Couldn't disagree more, we won't be winning the title but we are in a much better place to progress and kick on than Arsenal, Spurs and United despite being below all three currently.

On 22/09/2019 at 20:36, enigma said:

This summer Jose found himself out of work. Inter Milan needed a manager, as did Juve, as did Real Madrid, as did Chelsea, as did AC Milan, as did Roma, as did Benfica, as did Sporting, as did Marseille, as did Sevilla, etc etc. Jose still finds himself out of work. Bitter? Not much.

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

This summer Jose found himself out of work. Inter Milan needed a manager, as did Juve, as did Real Madrid, as did Chelsea, as did AC Milan, as did Roma, as did Benfica, as did Sporting, as did Marseille, as did Sevilla, etc etc. Jose still finds himself out of work. Bitter? Not much.

No argument with that though if Zidane continues to disappoint then a certain president of RM will push for the return of the once Special One.

11 hours ago, Delnino said:

A bit harsh Fella, he's only managed  6 PL games ffs, his call for Mount and Kante, spot on, neither really showed any weakness in their game, if Daves goal had of stood, no one would be uttering anything but praise for Lamps, because in all honesty we would of gone on to well beat them Dippers

On 22/09/2019 at 11:01, Valerie said:

You're a true Blue, my compliments.

You don’t get to criticize or question my fandom. I don’t do that with any other poster here. As a donor and American that pays extra money to watch games every. Single. Time. We. Play. I have earned the right to post in frustration. Was it an emotional response? Yes. It’s the game day thread. 

4 hours ago, TheChelsRVA said:

You don’t get to criticize or question my fandom. I don’t do that with any other poster here. As a donor and American that pays extra money to watch games every. Single. Time. We. Play. I have earned the right to post in frustration. Was it an emotional response? Yes. It’s the game day thread. 

Were you stamping your feet when you wrote this?

11 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

A bit harsh Fella, he's only managed  6 PL games ffs, his call for Mount and Kante, spot on, neither really showed any weakness in their game, if Daves goal had of stood, no one would be uttering anything but praise for Lamps, because in all honesty we would of gone on to well beat them Dippers

Kante is a no brainer, but I don't know about Mount. That foul on his ankle in the Valencia game looked horrendous. Much credit to him for being a fighter and trying to stay on in that game, but I know a thing a two about those kinds of ankle injuries and he should've been substituted immediatly instead of keeping him on the pitch, clearly he was in pain. Since Mason was limping at the end against Liverpool too and he generally showed a poor performance, I have to question wether he was even matchfit. From Masons reaction against Valencia it's clear that he would claim he's fine and try regardless, but in such cases Frank has to step in and protect the young players from themselves.