coco

Chelsea v Liverpool (PL) Sun 22nd Sep 16:30 GMT

A poor first half cost us. Defensively not good enough, but we had the better chances and we didn't take them. This is the problem with conceding so many goals, we end up needing to take all of our chances.

If Lampard doesn't abandon zonal marking, then we will be lucky to finish in the top half of the league.

Until Frank drops zonal marking, we will be a midtable team.

This team has it in them, we lose on fine margins but you can see the quality there. 

Frustrating.

Still, I'm quite proud of our team. Despite everything, especially the increasing number of walking wounded, the players pulled themselves together, and did not give in to doom and gloom, contrary to a few posters here. We always knew we are a work in progress, and it shows. Valuable experience to build on.

Next week our first home league win!

Edited by Valerie

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Been our best attacker today though, it was more Mount and Tammy that let us down today.

I thought he was rubbish in the first half, second half was slightly better, but I thought Azpilicueta was better at attacking than he was. 

Unlucky Chelsea, deserved more. I believe these f**king injuries are doing us in this season. Really need Rudiger back in defence, hopefully along with Tomori. 

Also could do with RLC back, don’t like a midfield containing both Jorginho and Kovacic in it.

2 minutes ago, Deino said:

Until Frank drops zonal marking, we will be a midtable team.

This team has it in them, we lose on fine margins but you can see the quality there. 

Frustrating.

Nothing wrong with zonal marking if it's done properly. 

Alonso didn't protect his area, that was why they scored their second. 

Why alonso - he should be playing in the rugby World Cup coz every pass he does is backwards 

not just him tho - koviac not good enough it’s his 2 nd season and he should know how it works 

Willian not in the football mode yet

That was a respectable performance for us and we really shouldn’t have lost. We pushed them right to the end. It was the usual defensive frailty and some less characteristic wastefulness in front of goal did for us today. Out of the kids, Mount and Abraham didn’t have great games but Tomori really stepped up.

Anyway, it’s great to have Kante back at last.

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Great response and lots to be positive. the problems are so obvious that they SHOULD be fixable with time. Waaaay too much negativity on here. What were you expecting people?

The team needs points and it's this part of the season that's the most crucial. To create a buffer for the business end of the season.

This Liverpool is a good team, the fact we had their backs against the wall in the second half shows that this team has potential. The defence again is the major concern, and I don't even think Rudiger alone is enough to fix that. I think we need one or two defensive signings to fix and some tactical changes from Frank.

Overall we played well, especially in the second half. Missed some clear chances. It’s a real shame that the 1-1 goal didn’t count. Hard to lose to these lot but Mount finishes that chance at the end, we end up drawing  

Tomori, Kante, Jorginho all played well. 

4 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

No point saying we did well and all the rest when we keep dropping points. It’s a results business and thus far we are struggling on all fronts.

Our defending has been a big issue ever since pre season and it’s still the main issue.

We know how it will pan out if results don’t pick up so saying “good effort” and the likes isn’t going to do us or Frank any good. We need to sharpen up and quickly 

Exactly. I don't think we played that well today anyway. We were really poor in the first half I thought, we had no control of the game. It was an okay second half, but I'm not going to praise the team for playing one decent half of football. It's a 90+ minute game, not 45, we won't be winning many games at all if we continue to play like we did today. Carry on like this and we will struggle to get into the top half of the table and be out of the Champions League in the group stages. 

6 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Nothing wrong with zonal marking if it's done properly. 

Alonso didn't protect his area, that was why they scored their second. 

True but the Premier League is not the place for zonal marking. It's too fast paced for the players to keep their composure and maintain tactical discipline throughout.

Man marking is more effective for this league.

Edited by Deino

1 minute ago, TomCFC85 said:

My working theory as to why Pulisic hasn't started or been brought on recently:

Lamps heard him call it Soccer and has dropped him since.

I think he’s not getting in the team because others are out performing him. He’s shown very little. 

2 minutes ago, Deino said:

The team needs points and it's this part of the season that's the most crucial. To create a buffer for the business end of the season.

It does but on paper we can’t be expected to get them off Liverpool, difficult though that is to admit. My main point is on expectations though. Still too high for many which explains the constant state of being disappointed.

Easy to criticize the zonal marking and I have never liked that defensive system. Nevertheless we have been missing our first choice CB the whole season so far. I think we will look a lot better at the back with Rudi.

2 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Overall we played well, especially in the second half. Missed some clear chances. It’s a real shame that the 1-1 goal didn’t count. Hard to lose to these lot but Mount finishes that chance at the end, we end up drawing  

Tomori, Kante, Jorginho all played well. 

Kovacic too. Surprised he didn’t get more praise.