Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

Guest Sindre

Imagine we all stick to our guns, get booted and then this whole ordeal falls apart later down the road. Would go down as the biggest f**kup in the history of the club surely.

Getting kicked out after all that hard work getting to the semifinal with a very decent chance to win the whole thing would be absolutely devestating! Devestating.

18 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

As I said before - any system where a business is forced to give a % of its earnings to competitors is wrong. 

The EPL and UEFA make huge amounts of money, on the back of participation of  a handful of clubs. Do you think the premier league would be as popular with out Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd? Do you think that the champions league would have such drawing  power if the headline teams were Ajax, Sparta Prague and Krasnodar? Of course they wouldn't.

It is the drawing power of big name teams that attracts the big bucks. Big bucks that are shared disproportionately with other teams that play little to no part in earning that money.

Worldwide EPL tv rights are huge - but let's not kid ourselves, they are NOT paid due to the attraction of watching Burnley vs Sheffield Utd. These tv rights  are paid due to the draw of a handful of clubs. That money is then spread out and cascades it way down the "pyramid". 

I ask again, in what other industry are successful business forced to fund less ones? It is mental! 

This is why I think the current system is broken. 

No it isn't wrong, as already pointed out to you, the distribution of wealth is what provides and maintains the competition that brought in the revenue in the first place, without the diversity of, unique histories of and sheer number of other clubs this sport would never have been as attractive or as loved as it has been.

You realise as well that fans of Sheffield Utd and Burnley, clubs you named, amongst all the others, do not pay their TV subs to watch us or Man Utd or Liverpool etc? They pay to watch their teams! Who are you or any of these clubs to have the arrogance to presume the motivations of millions of paying fans?

Your irrational and shortsighted view of the game and the sense of elitism coming from your posts represents everything wrong with the game, I struggle to see what attracts you to football to begin with.

6 minutes ago, jack h said:

No it isn't wrong, as already pointed out to you, the distribution of wealth is what provides and maintains the competition that brought in the revenue in the first place, without the diversity of, unique histories of and sheer number of other clubs this sport would never have been as attractive or as loved as it has been.

You realise as well that fans of Sheffield Utd and Burnley, clubs you named, amongst all the others, do not pay their TV subs to watch us or Man Utd or Liverpool etc? They pay to watch their teams! Who are you or any of these clubs to have the arrogance to presume the motivations of millions of paying fans?

Your irrational and shortsighted view of the game and the sense of elitism coming from your posts represents everything wrong with the game, I struggle to see what attracts you to football to begin with.

Well said, second best argument I've seen today

26 minutes ago, evissy said:

No CL glory for us it seems... That is the talk now apparently. 

I will call this bluff. If this actually happens, it would be the death of the CL.

Imagine a competition without the biggest clubs in Europe? Who would care?

Just now, haviet1 said:

I will call this bluff. If this actually happens, it would be the death of the CL.

It would be Bayern Munich v PSG every season!

Can't see the ESL happening. There is too much outrage from pretty much the whole of football. The greedy f**kers won't get their own way for once.

Just now, haviet1 said:

The problem now is "the biggest clubs in europe" are now the most hated entities in the world. Of all the scandals that has been in football this could quite possibly be the most remembered through history and we are at the epi centre. Who would pay to watch us at the moment (apart from the uber loyal chelsea fans).

2 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

But the Champions League would already be in this position with the formation of the ESL. The clubs cannot be in both. So what has UEFA got to lose at this point? I imagine their priority is going to be towards the clubs that will continue to participate in their competitions e.g. PSG, Bayern, etc.

48 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I think you seriously mis understand what is happening. 

Fans will be getting less allocation. Although I maintain that long term we may be looking at chelsea disappearing and being moved to a foreign country. 

The super league cannot co exist with the domestic competitions. From my perspective, the goal is going to be one competition. 30 games a season and a finals month. Players fresh each week. No international involvement. This is all going one way and it is not going to be good for the traditionalists. 

This is all about money. There is no sentiment. 

This is the end goal. One large competition with the 'big' clubs playing matches around the world to attract all that $$. 

I’m sure this has been much discussed here already, but surely they’ll find a way around banning three CL finalists and essentially null-and-voiding this year’s CL? That would be an epic failure and own goal of all involved. Who’s idea was it to drop this now of all times? 

2 minutes ago, Dean said:

I’m sure this has been much discussed here already, but surely they’ll find a way around banning three CL finalists and essentially null-and-voiding this year’s CL? That would be an epic failure and own goal of all involved. Who’s idea was it to drop this now of all times? 

Sounds like they have a plan in place ready.

PSG vs Dortmund

Porto vs RB or Atalanta 

Also just wanted to say this: If it comes to a point where the ESL doesn't go through or Chelsea withdraw, do not give any of them any credit, do not commend them for listening to reason or "listening to fans"

Whatever decision they make will be made on whatever fills their pockets alone. This is why the only way to stop this from happening is to fine their pockets. Withdraw government loans, deduct them points, do whatever it takes.

And if the day comes when all of this circus is over and the ESL seems like a distant memory. Do not forget what these clubs tried to do, do not forget what Chelsea tried to do.

Its leaving your domestic league behind and having no respect for your rivals. Being apart of this elite group pockets us revenue that the likes of Leciester, Wolves and co will not be able to obtain. It destroys our league. We are currently not a guarentee to have Champions League football, same with Spurs and Arsenal. The arrogance of the club to think we are better than the 14 other clubs in the division and the rest of the EFL and join this selective few is astounding.

We deserve to get booted out.

There's no defending this.

Edited by Sheva

9 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

This is the end goal. One large competition with the 'big' clubs playing matches around the world to attract all that $$. 

Unfortunately, the sports landscape had changed over the last several years. It has been ONLY about the owners/investors making their $$$.

Heck, only 3 EPL clubs are still 100% owned by Englishmen.

And you American NFL football games played at Wembley stadium.

1 minute ago, Sheva said:

Its leaving your domestic league behind and having no respect for your rivals. Being apart of this elite group pockets us revenue that the likes of Leciester, Wolves and co will not be able to obtain. It destroys our league. We are currently not a guarentee to have Champions League football, same with Spurs and Arsenal. The arrogance of the club to think we are better than the 14 other clubs in the division and in the rest of the EFL and join this selective few is astounding.

We deserve to get booted out.

There's no defending this.

Agreed. I hope the UK gov and PL kick all 6 of us out and UEFA boot out the 5 of us left in europe.

Sadly that means no FA cup final as well. Roman and the board have brought this upon us with no concern for us fans. Sadly this will wash away all the wonderful things he has done for the club.

Just now, axman2526 said:

Is what they defectors have made it and is better than cancelling the tournament.

Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way shape or form in favour of super league, but I think they’ve got to find a way to make this year’s CL happen as planned. Ie there needs to be a concession from the “rebels”. Nobody wants this! 

https://thesuperleague.com/index.html

I read every word from this official site. They really need to elaborate on how football in general will benefit from this. They say it there but these ideas need to be opened. They also say they're will bring stability to football in terms of financies. Does it mean stability to just them? 

Early days with this but their level of communication is just poor. It is hard to buy any word they say there. 

The are probably just waiting for the initial reactions and play off from that. 

Just now, Dean said:

Yeah I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way shape or form in favour of super league, but I think they’ve got to find a way to make this year’s CL happen as planned. Ie there needs to be a concession from the “rebels”. Nobody wants this! 

Simply they have to drop the super league plan or be kicked out. It is not possible to play 20 games in a league format and then knockout football and still play in the league and FA cup.it also means weakened sides picked in the PL to rest players for the super league.

It ruins all the domestic games and having us in the league like that destroys it credibility.

So give them a week or 2 to decide no more or get expelled and go with plan B.