Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

3 minutes ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

It bring something we don't have wich was my main point. i dont care what City has or not.

But that's the thing, if we bring him in we have to change to play him, he can't press like Werner, he hasnt got the turn of foot Werner has, and i could see him struggling to have an impact in games where we have the ball for over an hour and the opposition sits deep, probably 75% of our league games are like that.

2 things I just want to clear up first there is a difference between £100m and €100m these two keep getting thrown around interchangeable as news reporters and fans report different things. We have bid €100m + Alonso. If we value Alonso at say €30m that's our bid as it stands ~€130m.

Reports have stated that Lukaku has not in fact been turning us down as we were previously led to believe. His agent is pushing him to take it and it appears that he is willing to move if certain conditions (doubling of his annual salary) are met.

Secondly, when we ask why are we paying this much for Lukaku why not just pay for Haaland. Ask yourself don't you think the board has already thought this? Again the asking price for Haaland is still relatively uncertain with different sources quoting different prices. It lies somewhere between £130m-£175/80.

This could be around €200m including agent fees, plus the money the player and the father want under the table.

Let's not forget how the Neymar deal that took him to Barcelona went down, parents are often paid off.

With Lukaku if we meet the €120m valuation said to be around £102m it's up to Lukaku whether he wants to move. As things stand that is a much better deal for the club. £102m vs whatever the end deal for Haaland could end up being anything £175m+ is just ridiculous.

https://www.chelsea-news.co/2021/08/romelu-lukaku-to-chelsea-what-the-top-sources-are-saying/

11 minutes ago, coco said:

But that's the thing, if we bring him in we have to change to play him, he can't press like Werner, he hasnt got the turn of foot Werner has, and i could see him struggling to have an impact in games where we have the ball for over an hour and the opposition sits deep, probably 75% of our league games are like that.

Yea, because Italian sides didnt parked the bus against Inter? Cmon now, you guys clearly didnt watch him since he's at Inter or Seria A in general, you  have issue with lukaku against side that sits low but you dont mind Werner ?

Lukaku is much faster then you give him credit for he's a physical beast. and i don't think we have to change the way play, its still gonna cross after cross from the wing backs and the wingers.

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

13 minutes ago, coco said:

That is a fair point. It really depends on whether Tuchel is on board with the signing. Would be a bad move to sign an expensive player who doesn't fit with his planned system, but then again we've done this kind of thing in the past.

1 hour ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

Yea, because Italian sides didnt parked the bus against Inter? Cmon now, you guys clearly didnt watch him since he's at Inter or Seria A in general, you  have issue with lukaku against side that sits low but you dont mind Werner ?

Lukaku is much faster then you give him credit for he's a physical beast. and i don't think we have to change the way play, its still gonna cross after cross from the wing backs and the wingers.

I did watch Lukaku on several occasions for Inter. I wouldn't say he has improved much. From what I could tell, his usual problems were still there. The difference is, he's playing in a weaker competition now and there's much less pressure to deliver. I'm afraid if he comes back to EPL, his struggles will return with him.

As any striker who relies on physicality and pace, he's going to decline rapidly once he starts slowing down, not to mention picks up an injury or two, and he is not blessed with great technique, so once his speed and athleticism have gone, his shortcomings will be even more exposed.

His touch got a bit better, but it's still erratic, and so is his passing. His heading is decent but he's no Drogba, and you have to be a whole lot better to dominate the air in  the EPL where you face formidable CBs on a regular basis. He can hold up the ball fairly well and you can't argue with his goalscoring record but I just feel signing him to a long tem contract as our first choce centre forward is a mistake we're destined to regret. 

The Media knows we're in the market for a striker, so they're just picking names out of a hat.

Inter need the good press of "fending off interest" around Lukaku to appease their fans. 

Get ready for us to be linked with some more before the week is out, Lautaro Martinez, Andrea Belotti, Moussa Dembele, Danny Ings... Just about anybody they can to generate clicks on their dying websites. 

And if some two bob "journalist" is reading this: I'm an ITK, in that IK  a usefull 4 letter word, and you're full of it. 

Get the top 1 or 2 target, don't bother spending over the odds for 4th or 5th choices, hope we've learnt that by now... 

Edited by BordeauxBlue

It is a lot of money for Lukaku but I think people are being a bit harsh on him, having a striker who could possibly hit 20 league goals in a season will make a big difference for us.

I'm a huge fan of Havertz but we have a lack of footballers who can even shoot straight at this club, which is why IMO the false 9 works better for Man City - our top scorer last season was Jorginho with penalties!

Havertz will improve this season but getting across defenders for tap-ins or being alive for rebounds is something Lukaku will be naturally better at than Kai.

Like others I would of preferred Haaland but as others have pointed out with agents fees & paying off his Dad it probably would of gone past £200 million.

Roman obviously doesn't want to spend that much money on just one player.

FWIW I think we should of put in a big offer weeks ago for Haaland and given his team & Dortmund something to think about before he went to training camp with Dortmund.

I personally think we have zero chance of winning the battle for his signature next year against some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Having Lukaku has got to be better than us struggling to score against lower league teams (pretty sure only scoring against lesser teams was one of the accusations thrown at him during in his time in England).

Getting that first goal in a game has been a problem for us, not to mention killing off a game with a 2nd goal as the game opens out is also a problem for us, both things Lukaku can help with IMO.

Personally going for Danny Ings I'd be OK with, but staying as we are hoping for a major improvement in our fortunes in attack is not an option for me, especially with all the clubs around us strengthening.

Without addressing our problems up top not only do I think we have zero chance of winning the league I think we would have an almighty battle on our hands just to stay in the top 4. 

Edited by 2211

If this happens, I’d be ok with it as I think he will score goals for us.  Has a reputation as a flat track bully.  I say great, bring it on.  I would like to see some 5-0 wins this season against the lower middle teams and Kai can score against the big boys.  That would banish the press saying we’re dull, park the bus 1-0 merchants, which is of course is utter crap.  

To be honest, I place Lukaku’s problems at United down to Mourinho.  You’d never want to be the striker in a Mourinho team as you will have limited chances per game with his tactics.  Lukaku’s record for WBA, when he was just a kid, and at Everton was very good.  He is proven in our league, unlike Halland, so for me the pros outweigh the cons.  

don’t get me wrong, I’d take Halland but fear the Chelsea striker curse rearing its ugly head again and he will flop.  Don’t think that would happen with Lukaku…..

Just now, Chris Gundleton said:

If this happens, I’d be ok with it as I think he will score goals for us.  Has a reputation as a flat track bully.  I say great, bring it on.  I would like to see some 5-0 wins this season against the lower middle teams and Kai can score against the big boys.  That would banish the press saying we’re dull, park the bus 1-0 merchants, which is of course is utter crap.  

To be honest, I place Lukaku’s problems at United down to Mourinho.  You’d never want to be the striker in a Mourinho team as you will have limited chances per game with his tactics.  Lukaku’s record for WBA, when he was just a kid, and at Everton was very good.  He is proven in our league, unlike Halland, so for me the pros outweigh the cons.  

don’t get me wrong, I’d take Halland but fear the Chelsea striker curse rearing its ugly head again and he will flop.  Don’t think that would happen with Lukaku…..

Of course when I say Halland I mean Haaland, lol

Guest Sindre
58 minutes ago, abramovich said:

there's much less pressure to deliver

Not sure about this one.

Conte was going for the title and the title only and Lukaku was Inter's talisman and entire offense in many ways. He lead Inter to their first title in years and that was no small feat.

7 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Not sure about this one.

Conte was going for the title and the title only and Lukaku was Inter's talisman and entire offense in many ways. He lead Inter to their first title in years and that was no small feat.

Pirlo ko'd his own team that included Ronaldo. All Inter had to do was overcome Milan. Not a difficult task as United showed.

23 minutes ago, 2211 said:

It is a lot of money for Lukaku but I think people are being a bit harsh on him, having a striker who could possibly hit 20 league goals in a season will make a big difference for us.

I'm a huge fan of Havertz but we have a lack of footballers who can even shoot straight at this club, which is why IMO the false 9 works better for Man City - our top scorer last season was Jorginho with penalties!

Havertz will improve this season but getting across defenders for tap-ins or being alive for rebounds is something Lukaku will be naturally better at than Kai.

Like others I would of preferred Haaland but as others have pointed out with agents fees & paying off his Dad it probably would of gone past £200 million.

Roman obviously doesn't want to spend that much money on just one player.

FWIW I think we should of put in a big offer weeks ago for Haaland and given his team & Dortmund something to think about before he went to training camp with Dortmund.

I personally think we have zero chance of winning the battle for his signature next year against some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

Having Lukaku has got to be better than us struggling to score against lower league teams (pretty sure only scoring against lesser teams was one of the accusations thrown at him during in his time in England).

Getting that first goal in a game has been a problem for us, not to mention killing off a game with a 2nd goal as the game opens out is also a problem for us, both things Lukaku can help with IMO.

Personally going for Danny Ings I'd be OK with, but staying as we are hoping for a major improvement in our fortunes in attack is not an option for me, especially with all the clubs around us strengthening.

Without addressing our problems up top not only do I think we have zero chance of winning the league I think we would have an almighty battle on our hands just to stay in the top 4. 

You hit the nail there with lacking players that can shoot straight, that for me is key to doing better than 4th place never mind win the title. Do I think we can win the title? No, I will take a top 4, quarter finals in the CL & a cup. 

Personally feel we have gotten sucked into this 20+ goal scorer and we will end up paying around the £100m mark for one. Getting a 20+ No 9 doesn’t guarantee the league, if I am right the last 3 PL winners didn’t have No 9s hitting 20+ goals. Kane scored 23 goals, Son hit 17 goals but they still ended up in Europa. Problem was they lack 2/3 other players with 15+ contributions in the league. City, United, Liverpool all have 4 players that would hit 15+ contributions, presently we only have Werner. You add your 20+ goal scorer and you still need 2 other players to step up to the plate and hit those numbers.

34 minutes ago, 2211 said:

How do we know Lukaku will guarantee the goals? We of all fans should know there's no guarantee with a striker. He scored less last season than Werner did the year before he joined us and less than Havertz the year before he joined us in his most recent season in the prem.

I would say Lukaku would be a bigger risk than gambling on a second season improvement from Havertz, purely because we won't have to tear apart a hugely promising system to accommodate.

35 minutes ago, 2211 said:

If we are in a battle for top four then Tuchel would be worse than Lampard domestically.

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

I did watch Lukaku on several occasions for Inter. I wouldn't say he has improved much. From what I could tell, his usual problems were still there. The difference is, he's playing in a weaker competition now and there's much less pressure to deliver. I'm afraid if he comes back to EPL, his struggles will return with him.

As any striker who relies on physicality and pace, he's going to decline rapidly once he starts slowing down, not to mention picks up an injury or two, and he is not blessed with great technique, so once his speed and athleticism have gone, his shortcomings will be even more exposed.

His touch got a bit better, but it's still erratic, and so is his passing. His heading is decent but he's no Drogba, and you have to be a whole lot better to dominate the air in  the EPL where you face formidable CBs on a regular basis. He can hold up the ball fairly well and you can't argue with his goalscoring record but I just feel signing him to a long tem contract as our first choce centre forward is a mistake we're destined to regret. 

So you rather have Werner in front of the goal? See this is part of my point, people focus so much on the negative. The guy gets you 20 league goals GUARENTEE but people wanna focus on what he is not, Ohh his first touch could be better Ohhh he doesnt head the ball like Drogba Ohhh but the defenders in the PL are so much better!

We are stuck with Werner and Tammy as our only real number 9 and if you guys think Lukaku is not good enough then is so Werner and Tammy and All the other strikers in the world except for Lewandowski Benzama Kane and Halaand.

And who cares if he's not good in 3 years? This is Chelsea, we gonna buy a new shiny striker if he fells off but right now Lukaku is at the peak of his career mentally and physically and thats all it matters.

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

How do we know Lukaku will guarantee the goals? We of all fans should know there's no guarantee with a striker. He scored less last season than Werner did the year before he joined us and less than Havertz the year before he joined us in his most recent season in the prem.

I would say Lukaku would be a bigger risk than gambling on a second season improvement from Havertz, purely because we won't have to tear apart a hugely promising system to accommodate.

If we are in a battle for top four then Tuchel would be worse than Lampard domestically.

Did you forget that Lukaku was made in the PL? He did get 20 goals for sides like Everton and West Brom and now you guys are flipping your own arguments about Havertz and Werner scoring a lot of goals from a weaker league but lets not mention that since its not Lukaku....

4 minutes ago, ducavis said:

You hit the nail there with lacking players that can shoot straight, that for me is key to doing better than 4th place never mind win the title. Do I think we can win the title? No, I will take a top 4, quarter finals in the CL & a cup. 

Personally feel we have gotten sucked into this 20+ goal scorer and we will end up paying around the £100m mark for one. Getting a 20+ No 9 doesn’t guarantee the league, if I am right the last 3 PL winners didn’t have No 9s hitting 20+ goals. Kane scored 23 goals, Son hit 17 goals but they still ended up in Europa. Problem was they lack 2/3 other players with 15+ contributions in the league. City, United, Liverpool all have 4 players that would hit 15+ contributions, presently we only have Werner. You add your 20+ goal scorer and you still need 2 other players to step up to the plate and hit those numbers.

If we have a 20+ striker, that scores the majority of their chances, this will ease the pressure off the others and I suspect their numbers will improve.  I’m pretty sure both Havertz and Werner having better seasons getting 15+ goals each.  Pulisic and Mount should be looking at double figures too (all won’t play at the same time and I am talking about goals in all competitions)….

41 minutes ago, BordeauxBlue said:

The Media knows we're in the market for a striker, so they're just picking names out of a hat.

Inter need the good press of "fending off interest" around Lukaku to appease their fans. 

Get ready for us to be linked with some more before the week is out, Lautaro Martinez, Andrea Belotti, Moussa Dembele, Danny Ings... Just about anybody they can to generate clicks on their dying websites. 

And if some two bob "journalist" is reading this: I'm an ITK, in that IK  a usefull 4 letter word, and you're full of it. 

Get the top 1 or 2 target, don't bother spending over the odds for 4th or 5th choices, hope we've learnt that by now... 

Exactly!!! lets not forget we bought Bakayoko , drinkwater and Barkley during Contes second season. Our current attack won us the UCL. I would rather we keep the same attack and replace Giroud with Batshuayi. It should be noted that this will be Ziyech, KAi and Werners second season, i definitely expect an improvement from them and also the squad in general.

Lukaku must have a very good voodoo doctor because i dont get how people all of a sudden think he is a great striker because he dominated a weak Seria A . I believe  people give little credit to his strike partner ( Laturo Martinez) who I believe is actually a better striker but Lukaku takes the pens and is obviously the more selfish player  hence his higher goal number.

9 minutes ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

Did you forget that Lukaku was made in the PL? He did get 20 goals for sides like Everton and West Brom and now you guys are flipping your own arguments about Havertz and Werner scoring a lot of goals from a weaker league but lets not mention that since its not Lukaku....

We signed "PL proven" Torres and it backfired and we nearly made the same mistake again with Rooney.

That said I don't think Lukaku will anywhere near as bad as Torres but no previous record makes you immune to flopping.