Jump to content

The Curse of the Chelsea Striker


TomCFC85
 Share

Recommended Posts

Now, a lot of the discourse on Lukaku and Tammy has been the "Chelsea curse" that being our Number 9 is destined to fail. I'm not a superstious person, so I'm not giving much credence to that. Instead, I thought it'd be fun to rank our strikers of the last decade or so.

This isn't including Drogba or Costa as frankly we know their places.

So, I ask you shed enders to rank the following players: Tammy, Werner, Giroud, Morata, Higuain, Sturridge, Eto'o, Remy, Pato, Falcao, Batshuayi 

Feel free to add extra players I've missed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


@Ballack & Blu please feel free to hear these being read in the style of a Mark Lawrenson top ten countdown. 

10. Marcos Alonso - current top scorer at the club.

9. Kalou - Watford away.

8. Pizarro - just want to see if anyone remembers him!

7. Batshauyi - scored some vital goals in big matches.

6. Torres - Gary Neville orgasm.

5. Shevchenko - came too late but scored so fantastic goals still (Tottenham in the Cup is one of my favourites).

4. Eto’o - even at his age he was very good for us, hat trick against Man United…

3. Ba - just for that goal (how f**king dare you forget him!).

2. Tammy - came in when we were in the sh*t and performed well. Didn’t deserve the last 8 months.

1. Giroud - sexy mofo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From best to worst:

Giroud - Scored quite a few goals and gave us some much needed quality up top at a time when our striking options looked doomed

Tammy - Entrusted to lead the line at a young age. Scored 15 league goals and helped us get back into the Champions League despite the loss of Hazard to the team. 

Eto'o - Short lived career at Chelsea and maybe arrived a couple of years past his peak but he helped build the foundations to Jose's title winning team. 

Werner - Despite the lack of goals he's still contributed a lot. Hasn't let his head drop and played his part in the Champions League win. 

Sturridge - Probably deserved more chances and got shunted out wide quite often. Maybe a little more faith would have seen him flourish as evidenced by his good scoring record for Liverpool. 

Remy - Never good enough for us as first choice but popped up with some decent goals. 

Michy B - Similar to Remy but ranked below because at times he looked incompetent. 

Higuain - Was sh*t. 

Falcao - Kept the physio busy. 

Pato - Scored a penalty but I remember nothing else. I have no idea what the thinking was signing him. 

Morata - No comment. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

From best to worst:

Giroud - Scored quite a few goals and gave us some much needed quality up top at a time when our striking options looked doomed

Tammy - Entrusted to lead the line at a young age. Scored 15 league goals and helped us get back into the Champions League despite the loss of Hazard to the team. 

Eto'o - Short lived career at Chelsea and maybe arrived a couple of years past his peak but he helped build the foundations to Jose's title winning team. 

Werner - Despite the lack of goals he's still contributed a lot. Hasn't let his head drop and played his part in the Champions League win. 

Sturridge - Probably deserved more chances and got shunted out wide quite often. Maybe a little more faith would have seen him flourish as evidenced by his good scoring record for Liverpool. 

Remy - Never good enough for us as first choice but popped up with some decent goals. 

Michy B - Similar to Remy but ranked below because at times he looked incompetent. 

Higuain - Was sh*t. 

Falcao - Kept the physio busy. 

Pato - Scored a penalty but I remember nothing else. I have no idea what the thinking was signing him. 

Morata - No comment. 

 

Ditto saved me the trouble of typing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

From best to worst:

Giroud - Scored quite a few goals and gave us some much needed quality up top at a time when our striking options looked doomed

Tammy - Entrusted to lead the line at a young age. Scored 15 league goals and helped us get back into the Champions League despite the loss of Hazard to the team. 

Eto'o - Short lived career at Chelsea and maybe arrived a couple of years past his peak but he helped build the foundations to Jose's title winning team. 

Werner - Despite the lack of goals he's still contributed a lot. Hasn't let his head drop and played his part in the Champions League win. 

Sturridge - Probably deserved more chances and got shunted out wide quite often. Maybe a little more faith would have seen him flourish as evidenced by his good scoring record for Liverpool. 

Remy - Never good enough for us as first choice but popped up with some decent goals. 

Michy B - Similar to Remy but ranked below because at times he looked incompetent. 

Higuain - Was sh*t. 

Falcao - Kept the physio busy. 

Pato - Scored a penalty but I remember nothing else. I have no idea what the thinking was signing him. 

Morata - No comment. 

 

Morata - had good hair and was a great boyfriend doing his girl's hair as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think if I had to rank, including Munkworth's other suggestions, it would go like this

1. Giroud - Top professional and scored vital goals to get us Champions' League football, our third all time scoring European comp player.

2. Tammy - Arguably broke the number nine curse, one of our own and scored some great goals. Just often lacked that vital ruthlessness.

3. Werner - Quite high up but what he's lacked in scoring, he's made up in positioning, intelligence and assists. He will get better, I have no doubt.

4. Eto'o - Scored some great goals and a memorable hat-trick against United. Would agree with others that we got him past his prime though.

5. Torres - That Barcelona goal away, that clip is forever etched in my mind. Let down by confidence and injuries he sustained at Liverpool.

6 Ba - Seems like a really good guy, don't think he was given enough of a chance at the club though. That PSG goal, oh my lord.

7. Morata - Think I rate him a lot more highly than most here, desperately wanted him to succeed and it looked like he would the first few months. He had a massive attitude problem and I think that's the difference in the end.

8. Sturridge- Decent but I don't think he would've flourished as he did at Liverpool, here.

9. Michy- That goal against West Brom is my profile pic, looked decent on occasions but never took his chance when he got it.

10. Remy - Offside again and again, very average player.

11. Higuain - We got his ghost, really feel he would've been great for us in his prime but just seemed on the way out at a top level.

12. Pato - I remember chanting "we were there when Pato scored" at Villa Park. Don't remember much else.

13. Falcao- We got United's leftovers, which is saying something because he was already leftover when United got him

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 A bit different and probably a different type of curse. From 1998.

Pierluigi Casiraghi. Only scored one goal in ten games and that was against the bin-dippers. Took a while to settle down and just as he was finding his feet damaged his cruciate ligament when he collided with Hislop when we played the Pikeys. Never recovered from the injury and his contract with Chelsea was terminated in 2000.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eto'o was criminally underated for us.

Took him a bit of time to get upto speed but as soon as he did he was brilliant and if he didn't get injured against Arsenal I think we would have won the league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 18/08/2021 at 19:33, Boyne said:

 A bit different and probably a different type of curse. From 1998.

Pierluigi Casiraghi. Only scored one goal in ten games and that was against the bin-dippers. Took a while to settle down and just as he was finding his feet damaged his cruciate ligament when he collided with Hislop when we played the Pikeys. Never recovered from the injury and his contract with Chelsea was terminated in 2000.

 

I'll never forget when we played Man City last game of the season mid 90's can't remember the exact year but we went 2-0 up and John Inverdale was reading out the latest scores and he went second goal for Chelsea scored by Fleck he then raised his voice trying not to laugh and said FLECK !😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

I'll never forget when we played Man City last game of the season mid 90's can't remember the exact year but we went 2-0 up and John Inverdale was reading out the latest scores and he went second goal for Chelsea scored by Fleck he then raised his voice trying not to laugh and said FLECK !😆

Number One was Robert Fleck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chris Sutton bought in the summer of 1999 for £10 Million. 28 League appearances and 1 goal.

Sold to Celtic in summer 2000 for £6 Million.

He admitted in an interview with Four, Four, Two Magazine : “I’ve had years of trying to get away from my time at  Chelsea, because I was crap.

These things happen, but when you go for big money you’re expected to score goals. People expect a return, and quite rightly so. “

“I lost a bit of confidence. It was the first time in my career that I’d done that. As a striker you can’t hesitate, and you need to be proactive and anticipate. I think I hesitated, and if you do that you’re dead. 

“But I don’t blame anybody else. I liked Gianluca Villa the manager, so I wouldn’t go down that route of blaming styles or systems of play. It was down to me being bang average.”  a return, and quite “I lost a bit of confidence. It was the first time in my career that I’d done that. As a striker you can’t hesitate, that you’re dead.”

“But I don’t blame anybody else. I liked Gianluca Vialli the manager, so I wouldn’t go down that route of blaming styles or systems of play. It was down to me being bang average.” 

Edited by erskblue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. Giroud

2. Eto'o

3. Anelka

4. Kalou/Abraham

Werner has just started. The others I don't feel like rating but the general idea is they all failed to live up to their name/hype/pricetag and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 18/08/2021 at 15:10, TomCFC85 said:

Now, a lot of the discourse on Lukaku and Tammy has been the "Chelsea curse" that being our Number 9 is destined to fail. I'm not a superstious person, so I'm not giving much credence to that. Instead, I thought it'd be fun to rank our strikers of the last decade or so.

This isn't including Drogba or Costa as frankly we know their places.

So, I ask you shed enders to rank the following players: Tammy, Werner, Giroud, Morata, Higuain, Sturridge, Eto'o, Remy, Pato, Falcao, Batshuayi 

Feel free to add extra players I've missed 

In terms of what they achieved, and what they contributed to us, I’m ranking them as:

 

Giroud

Tammy

Werner

Bats

Morata

Higs

Eto’o

Remy

Sturridge

Pato

Falcao

 

Thoughts? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 18/08/2021 at 16:10, TomCFC85 said:

Now, a lot of the discourse on Lukaku and Tammy has been the "Chelsea curse" that being our Number 9 is destined to fail. I'm not a superstious person, so I'm not giving much credence to that. Instead, I thought it'd be fun to rank our strikers of the last decade or so.

This isn't including Drogba or Costa as frankly we know their places.

So, I ask you shed enders to rank the following players: Tammy, Werner, Giroud, Morata, Higuain, Sturridge, Eto'o, Remy, Pato, Falcao, Batshuayi 

Feel free to add extra players I've missed 

Kerry Dixon was excellent as a number 9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!