Next season…

6 minutes ago, forbzy said:

The new ownership will likely still be worked out past the end of the season. With that in mind I doubt we will see a ton of new players brought in this summer. There is already going to be a big task offloading the army of loanees with the new rules hitting next season. We know several players will be leaving by choice, especially in defense. While several returning loanees look good enough to boost our first team squad, and will hopefully be given that chance, there are not many obvious candidates in central defense. So any recruitment should prioritize this area. Beyond that it depends on who else leaves. For example if we decide to try and get a fee for Lukaku, Kante or Jorginho then hopefully we will bring in a replacement.

There is delay after delay for new owners. So incase temper my expectation for next season to make top 4. I dont expect any trophies.

TT may not get to make signings. Whether that is due to late takeover or the owners being cash strapped I am unsure of.

He, or whoever is the manager if he quits, may have to pick and chose from loan returns. Which may well be great and give Broja, Colwill and Gallagher play time.

Gilmour I see being sold if he does not sign a new deal as he has a year left. Hopefully we move on Baka and the like or we may be forced to use them lol...

6 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Lukaku looks more likely a loan back to an Italian club I'd say. Agree on Jorgi price. Won't be a big amount with a year left on his contract. Kepa has improved this season, but we will do well to get much of a fee for him. Then if he does leave we are lacking a decent second keeper. For that reason I could see him staying another year.

Yeah the only hope is Conte goes to PSG and they back him as we know Conte loves Rom.

47 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Yeah the only hope is Conte goes to PSG and they back him as we know Conte loves Rom.

I would genuinely watch PSG every week if Rom goes there.

Seeing Neymar and Messi's reactions to playing with him would be TV gold. Unfortuently I think both have enough power to veto it.

Just now, loz said:

Only two possibilities I see of us shipping Drogba, still at a big loss, are PSG and Newcastle 

You mean "We wish he was Drogba" or "he really thinks he is Drogba" or "We cannot believe we bought him thinking he is Drogba".

We really need to gut the squad and loanees. Bring the useful ones back and sell the rest. Get the ones not focused on growing with Chelsea out and recruit the ones who do. 

It's important that we don't let Mount, Kai, etc. mix around with players that don't want to be here or else we risk the squad adopting old habits 

We have a lot of needs to fill and the "quick sale" taking place is really going to make summer plans difficult. Hopefully it will work in our favor however, similarly to how it did in 2019.  Losing Rudiger will be really big and really hard to replace his personality within the squad. It's not like he is impossible to replace on the pitch, but off the pitch is much more difficult to recreate. AC leaving... I've become cold to it. Verbally agreeing to contract and then backing out bothers me quite a bit, I've got to honest. Of course, good luck to him, but he can go.

We need to revamp the middle of the pitch as well. Mount, Kante, RLC, Kova, Gallagher, Jorginho look like the most likely players in the midfield for next year. Of course there are rumors of Jorginho returning to Italy, but those stories have come out every year since he signed. I would love it it we were able to sell Jorginho and bring in either Tchouameni or Rice. I'd lean more towards Rice, but that has a lot to do with the fact that I've watched Rice a lot more than Tchouameni. It's clear that Kante has pretty much been ran into the ground at this point. He's still amazing but on the wrong side of 30 now and we need to be able to give him time off and not force him to play 50-60 matches a season.

If Lukaku leaves... man what a waste of a transfer he has been. I'm fine with moving on, especially if we are able to get a good portion of the transfer fee back. Sounds like Werner might be on his way back to Germany, but he makes so much money weekly, that it might cause difficulty in the transfer. Would be okay with our attackers being Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO, Broja ... probably need another winger in therel. Drawing a blank on any attackers out on loan minus Broja... 

TL;DR: would be okay with selling Jorginho, Barkley, Werner, and Lukaku. We have a few players out on loan that should be able to come back to Chelsea and be first team contributors. Those being: Broja, Colwill, and Gallagher. Maybe another 1 or 2 that I am forgetting. 

6 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Wonderful logic that - Chelsea have fewer centre-backs, therefore Tuchel will pick a formation with fewer centre-backs next season. Utterly baseless speculation.

Indeed but I hope it is accurate, especially if TT does not believe Reece can play as RWB anymore without risk of regular breakdowns.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like this team is lacking leaders. 

Not long ago we had cech, terry, carvalho, Cole, Ballack, Essien, Drogba etc etc proper leaders.

Looking around the current team only Rudiger that is about to leave next year and Jorginho show any kind of leadership. I like chillwell too, has potential. 

On 15/05/2022 at 15:34, Gentian said:

Not long ago we had cech, terry, carvalho, Cole, Ballack, Essien, Drogba etc etc proper leaders.

Looking around the current team only Rudiger that is about to leave next year and Jorginho show any kind of leadership. I like chillwell too, has potential. 

The only "real" leader we have is Silva. 

On 26/04/2022 at 17:02, chiefBlueCFC said:

It's clear that Kante has pretty much been ran into the ground at this point. He's still amazing but on the wrong side of 30 now and we need to be able to give him time off and not force him to play 50-60 matches a season.

But this is not the case ... in the last three seasons, Kante has started 26 games (out of 55), 34 games (out of 57) and 29 games (out of 61) respectively ... he's being managed as it is, and we are still seeing a decline in performances ... I would sell.

On 15/05/2022 at 15:34, Gentian said:

I agree.

At one point we had 5 international captains in our starting XI, or something like that. We need to get back to that.

I also think we need to be a bit more physically impressive. Our sides have been full of midgets in recent history ... 

On 26/04/2022 at 17:58, PloKoon13 said:

Wonderful logic that - Chelsea have fewer centre-backs, therefore Tuchel will pick a formation with fewer centre-backs next season. Utterly baseless speculation.

2-3-5 it is then !

All our legendary forwards on the pitch at the same time ... a treat for our eyes LOL

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who isn’t that worried.. we had an aging defence .. rudi  is the only plywr I think we miss in defence. 

I think Mendy will continue to improve the more he plays.. he is a very young goal keeper and only his second top flt season..

In defence, Reece is no where near his ceiling and with chilly back I think we will be ok as long as we sign an agressive CB to partner Thiago.. chalobah has been decent, expect colwill  to step up and then we have Sarr as backup. 

I believe in mount and havertz we have exciting AMs and in Borja ans Lukaku we have goals .. we need one of the other wingers to be consistent (CHO/pulisic/ziyech/Werner) ans we have our attack is sorted .. 

in midfield I think kova and RLC are good ball carriers and a proper modern dynamic DM makes us much stronger and takes pressure of defence.

unlike the majority I don’t think pool will be as strong as this year with salah and mane contracts likely to drag.. with city we will see what happens.

the big thing for me would be the formation .. if we successfully move to a back 4 I think we will be much more successful.

Edited by Jangz

The team needs a big rebuild, it’s a 2 season job. Defence and midfield. Azpi, Silva, Rudigier, christenson all pretty much done their dash. alonso a;so has a lot of miles on the clock. 

kante 0n the way down. Jorginho just needs a decent break. 

we still don’t have a natural place in the team for havertz, jack if all trades….

Im not too worried about next season, there is still loads of quality in the squad, and we have a manager that can compete with the best.

Like @Jangz said though, i would like to yse to opportunity of this seemingly likely exodus to move to a back 4 again. I was never a fan of a back 3, although we have got a league title and a champions league out it through the years. 

Tuchel has switched between 433, and 343 all through his career, and its actually been quite surprising how reluctant he has been to use 433 here, i can only assume its down to personnel. 

Whether or not we challenge for the title next tear, is very much dependent on what buisness we do though. It remains to be seen what the spending is going to look like, but i think there are enough options on the market that could see us put out a very strong 433. 

Mendy

James Kounde Koulibaly Chilwell

Mount Tchouameni Kovacic 

Dybala Havertz Dembele

A couple of 'free' signings, a couple of big signings, and a smart one in koulibaly, and i think that would be a dangerous 11, with Gallagher, and possibly Colwill coming back in too. 

I think the biggest problem in the summer though, will be shipping out some of the big earners, that just dont contribute their worth in wages, like Werner, Lukaku, and Kepa, who get £750k between them to sit on the bench. 

So lots of work to do, but hopefully with the fresh hunger Boehly will bring, it will see us make some positive changes to the squad.

Posted (edited)

Mendy

Kounde Silva Koulibaly

James Tchouameni Kovacic Chilwell

Dembele Nkunku

Havertz

Mendy

James Kounde Koulibaly Chilwell

Tchouameni

Gallagher Mount

Dembele             Nkunku

Havertz

Broja, Pulisic, Ziyech, Bissouma, Perisic, Colwill, Chalobah, Sterling, Baxter

Nkunku - 50-60m

Tchouameni - 60m

Kounde - 60m

Bissouma - 40m

Koulibaly - 15-25m

Dembele- free

Perisic - free

Edited by Sconnie Blue

So, currently the players we know are leaving are:

Rudiger
Christensen
Saul (End of loan)

The players very likely to leave are:

Alonso
Azpilicueta

The players linked reasonably heavily with leaving are:

Jorginho
Werner
Ziyech

The players who are either surplus to requirements or a good choice for making a bit of money back are:

Kepa
Barkley
Sarr
Kenedy
Bakayoko
Drinkwater
Baba
Batshayui
Miazga

The loan players who have a chance of being involved next season are:

Colwill
Sterling
Gallagher
Gilmour
Broja

Assuming (which is unlikely) that all 5 of those loan players come into the squad, that would leave us with:

GK: (2) Mendy, Betenelli
LB (1): Chilwell
CB (3): Silva, Chalobah, Colwill
RB (2): James, Sterling
CM (3): Kovacic, Kante, Loftus-Cheek
AM (4): Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Havertz
ST (2): Lukaku, Broja

So, we clearly need a GK, 1 LB, 2 CBs, 1-2 CMs, and probably 1-2 AMs as well.