Andreas Christensen

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

This guy seems to be getting a bit of hate recently. Ok, he's made a few mistakes this season but he's also shown his high potential

He's 21, first time playing regularly in one of the hardest Leagues in the world and is playing for a seriously under performing team. He'll get so much better as the years go on

I remember Rio Ferdinand made quite a few mistakes when he was younger and he has a very similar style of play as Christensen. Ferdinand went on to become of the best CBs in the League in the last 10-20 years

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

AC is an indictment of the team we have become - he would not have got anywhere near playing in the 04/05 & 09/10 teams.

Plenty of potential no doubt but still a mile away from walking into a genuine top team.

The same team Huth got regular minutes in?

Young player who probably needs taking out of the firing line for a few weeks to rebuild himself physically and more importantly his mental strength. As with all younger players breaking into a competitive first team environment, he will be inconsistent. Managing him properly now will be key to how good a player he becomes.

Its not just Christensen but the whole back 5 have been poor in 2018, Rudiger has been good carrying the ball forward and has pace. The third goal vs spurs was like watching a bunch of 6 yr olds, it was chaotic. For a Conte team it's unbelievable how poor the defence has been.

I'm still not sold that he should be first choice and starting regularly and feel that a fit David Luiz is still a much better option. 

Could maybe benefit from playing on the right of the back three to take away some of the pressure. 

Wouldn't rule out us bringing in someone like Toby Alderweireld in the summer to be ahead of Christensen. 

He's a good young player but, of course, still way off the finished article. If we are going to bench him next season (which I hope we don't) this whole season of him playing and trying to improve will have been a complete waste of time.

People want youth to come through the team, yet when they make mistakes, suddenly they should be dropped?

You can't have it both ways.

He's made a few horrible errors in the last couple of months, which has cost us, but he's also played a few blinders, too. It's going to happen. Unfortunatley, we are taking some of the pain right now, but in the long run it'll be worth it.

It's great to see an academy product coming through but some of you are missing the point. Christensen needs a break, or a rest, or whatever you want to call it. Just because he's a good prospect and we're all glad to see an academy product coming through doesn't mean he should play every single game. When his form dips he needs to sit a game or two out, because that will only help his development. You can ruin young players by playing them too much, particularly when they are struggling and the team is struggling. It's called nurturing. You can't expect him to put in top notch performances every week over a 60 game season. Yes you have to allow for a bit of inconsistency but you also have to understand a spell out of the side can also help him. His performance level is low for me, and he needs a spell out and to come back refreshed.

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I'm still not sold that he should be first choice and starting regularly and feel that a fit David Luiz is still a much better option. 

Could maybe benefit from playing on the right of the back three to take away some of the pressure. 

Wouldn't rule out us bringing in someone like Toby Alderweireld in the summer to be ahead of Christensen. 

Think the chance of getting him has gone now we wont be in the Champions Legue next season. The chance to get him was the season after his loan spell at Southampton.

16 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

It's great to see an academy product coming through but some of you are missing the point. Christensen needs a break, or a rest, or whatever you want to call it. Just because he's a good prospect and we're all glad to see an academy product coming through doesn't mean he should play every single game. When his form dips he needs to sit a game or two out, because that will only help his development. You can ruin young players by playing them too much, particularly when they are struggling and the team is struggling. It's called nurturing. You can't expect him to put in top notch performances every week over a 60 game season. Yes you have to allow for a bit of inconsistency but you also have to understand a spell out of the side can also help him. His performance level is low for me, and he needs a spell out and to come back refreshed.

Davey, I agree with you to a point, and usually, we'd be in position to throw someone else in at times.

This season, our credible alternatives have been a Gary Cahill whose legs are gone, and the best centre back in the league last season, who is now not wanted anywhere near the first team.

On 02/04/2018 at 12:24, Zeta said:

Said it before, but he needs an experienced player alongside him. Terry had Desailly when he came through. Christensen doesn't have anyone with that level of experience to help him through tough games. I'd love for us to sign Bonucci, even for just 1 season, just to bring in that experience.

We can always put ol’ Gazzer back in :Troll_Face:

1 hour ago, Zola said:

Why :face_palm: ? He has all but cemented his place in the starting line-up. Sure, he's made mistakes lately, but he's probably on the cusp of a very good career.

BTW, was that photo really Christensen? I totally didn't recognise him.

If you two clowns read the article properly, he says he is happy with HIS overall season, made the team,  played a lot of games, and yes, made some mistakes, but mentions the 20 or so previous matches when he DIDN'T make a crucial  mistake.

17 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

If you two clowns read the article properly, he says he is happy with HIS overall season, made the team,  played a lot of games, and yes, made some mistakes, but mentions the 20 or so previous matches when he DIDN'T make a crucial  mistake.

That's more or less what I was saying, bozo ::MooNeY::

• 4 weeks later...

Not convinced by him personally.

I don’t think he’s currently of a standard that matches our ambitions.

His positioning for the goal tonight was bad, got drawn towards the ball leaving their forward free to run through on goal.

Too error prone currently and doesn’t have any range to his passing. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not convinced by him personally.

I don’t think he’s currently of a standard that matches our ambitions.

His positioning for the goal tonight was bad, got drawn towards the ball leaving their forward free to run through on goal.

Too error prone currently and doesn’t have any range to his passing. 

I'm not giving up on him, but I also think he was at fault for Huddersfield's goal tonight, unfortunately, other than Cahill and Luiz there are no leaders or personalities at the back to help and guide him on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, Osgood is Good said:

I'm not giving up on him, but I also think he was at fault for Huddersfield's goal tonight, unfortunately, other than Cahill and Luiz there are no leaders or personalities at the back to help and guide him on the pitch. 

I’m not giving up on him but I think he’s still got a way to go before being first choice.

We’ve missed Luiz’s leadership and creativity this year.