Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Seems Jose has the same thoughts on Eto'o linking up better although only in home games...

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has called striker Samuel Eto’o the club’s best striker: but only at home. The 32 year old has scored eight goals in the league and Champions League for Chelsea this season but has yet to score away from Stamford Bridge, prompting Mourinho to start with Fernando Torres against Fulham on Saturday.

“Eto’o scores goals, but at home,” opened Mourinho.

“He scores in the league, in the Champions League, but all of them at home. I think away is more difficult for him.”

“He is our best striker to play at home because of his technique, his movement and his understanding with Eden and Oscar.”

However Mourinho admitted that the striker’s away form means that he made the decision to start with Fernando Torres at Fulham. The Spaniard has scored half of his four league goals away from home and has scored all three of his Champions League goals this season away from Stamford Bridge.

“Away [Eto’o] is showing some difficulties so we made the decision to start with Fernando [Torres] and have Demba [ba] for the last part of the [Fulham] game.”

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/03/03/mourinho-reveals-the-problem-with-chelseas-summer-signing/2014030377499

Sorry Super Jack but i cant really agree with that. I think more often than not he doesnt work that hard. If something goes against him he will tend to sulk for the rest of the game.

Maybe in previous season your right but i think this season on the whole he has worked hard.The City game at home is a good example of when he missed an easy chance but go on with it and played well.That would of happened last season your right he would have probably sulked and gone hiding for the rest of the game.

This really has turned into a cringe-worthy thread. Look, I want us to have a decent striker as much as the next man, and hopefully come the summer we will have just that (hopefully two). But some folk have lost all rationale where Torres is concerned. They have a touch of the “Torres Denials” in that they are prepared to re-write history so that no good has come from Torres in a Chelsea shirt, EVER. He didn’t score in the Nou Camp or the Europa Cup final and he didn’t get the winner against Man City – none of that happened. Regardless of how he plays in a certain game it doesn’t matter ‘cos he’s sh*t – our minds are made up and nowt will change that.

As I’ve said before, there seem to be supporters who would rather see us drop points than see Torres score the winner. It’s his fault that a number of managers are no longer here and that Sturridge isn’t here and that Lukaku got sent out on loan and that Ba has become Bambi on ice and God knows what else.

Torres. The new Kenyon.

This really has turned into a cringe-worthy thread. Look, I want us to have a decent striker as much as the next man, and hopefully come the summer we will have just that (hopefully two). But some folk have lost all rationale where Torres is concerned. They have a touch of the “Torres Denials” in that they are prepared to re-write history so that no good has come from Torres in a Chelsea shirt, EVER. He didn’t score in the Nou Camp or the Europa Cup final and he didn’t get the winner against Man City – none of that happened. Regardless of how he plays in a certain game it doesn’t matter ‘cos he’s sh*t – our minds are made up and nowt will change that.

As I’ve said before, there seem to be supporters who would rather see us drop points than see Torres score the winner. It’s his fault that a number of managers are no longer here and that Sturridge isn’t here and that Lukaku got sent out on loan and that Ba has become Bambi on ice and God knows what else.

Torres. The new Kenyon.

Absolutely spot on. What amazes me is that you don't see united fans jumping on Van Persie, who by the way has been absolutely sh*te this season.

Edited by MJB

Not wanting Torres to play doesn't equate to wanting him to fail.  Stop reframing the issue to gain some sort of moral high ground, it's just intellectually dishonest.  Nobody wants Chelsea players to fail, but many are tired of seeing him flop around the pitch sulking, waiting in hope for that one game in 10 where he'll actually do something productive.  The other day he literally got into Hazard's way.  Against Fulham he had no excuse to not make the run Schurrle did when Hazard played the through ball, why couldn't he have made that same run?  Why was he completely static?  Why didn't he make any run, even to try to draw a defender?  Why is he walking?

schurrtkjk7.gif

The very fact that sometimes he does play well, like against City at home, makes it more infuriating to watch him because it proves that a lot of the time he just can't be arsed.  Eto'o and Ba at least give their best.  Eto'o is just a spent force and Ba is a bit of a donkey, but they can't be accused of laziness. 

Edited by Castiel

Not wanting Torres to play doesn't equate to wanting him to fail.  Stop reframing the issue to gain some sort of moral high ground, it's just intellectually dishonest.  Nobody wants Chelsea players to fail, but many are tired of seeing him flop around the pitch sulking, waiting in hope for that one game in 10 where he'll actually do something productive.  The other day he literally got into Hazard's way.  Against Fulham he had no excuse to not make the run Schurrle did when Hazard played the through ball, why couldn't he have made that same run?  Why was he completely static?  Why didn't he make any run, even to try to draw a defender?  Why is he walking?

schurrtkjk7.gif

The very fact that sometimes he does play well, like against City at home, makes it more infuriating to watch him because it proves that a lot of the time he just can't be arsed.  Eto'o and Ba at least give their best.  Eto'o is just a spent force and Ba is a bit of a donkey, but they can't be accused of laziness. 

If Torres had made that run I doubt it would have resulted in that chance being made because the centre back would have stopped him. The reason the chance is made is because Torres does nothing (for a lack of a better word). Schurrle is running across the full back and centre back, this causes confusion because the full back is caught in two mind as to whether to track him or let the centre back deal with him and shift focus to Torres. He decides to do the latter but unfortunately for the full back, the centre back is already focusing on Torres and doesn't even see Schurrle until the last minute which, so they are both double marking Torres which leaves Schurrle free to wander into the space and score. 

I agree it's not movement you play £50m for, you would want more direct runs and such but at the end of the day Torres played his part in all the goals scored, even the first one where he was standing offside. Him being offside is what forced Hentinga to hesitate, stick his arm up and slow down cause he thought Schurrle was offside too or perhaps mistook Torres for Schurrle. 

Edited by Remodez

If Torres had made that run I doubt it would have resulted in that chance being made because the centre back would have stopped him. The reason the chance is made is because Torres does nothing (for a lack of a better word). Schurrle is running across the full back and centre back, this causes confusion because the full back is caught in two mind as to whether to track him or let the centre back deal with him and shift focus to Torres. He decides to do the latter but unfortunately for the full back, the centre back is already focusing on Torres and doesn't even see Schurrle until the last minute which, so they are both double marking Torres which leaves Schurrle free to wander into the space and score. 

I agree it's not movement you play £50m for, you would want more direct runs and such but at the end of the day Torres played his part in all the goals scored, even the first one where he was standing offside. Him being offside is what forced Hentinga to hesitate, stick his arm up and slow down cause he thought Schurrle was offside too or perhaps mistook Torres for Schurrle. 

Honestly I think you're grasping at straws here.  The fact that he's on the pitch means he has to be marked, if I was on the pitch they'd be marking me as well.  I don't know how you can attribute actual credit to Torres for those goals in good conscience.  The third one fair enough because he created it, but he had nothing to do with the other two.  You're attributing Fulham's defensive frailty to Torres' impact by virtue of his presence alone.

Honestly I think you're grasping at straws here. The fact that he's on the pitch means he has to be marked, if I was on the pitch they'd be marking me as well. I don't know how you can attribute actual credit to Torres for those goals in good conscience. The third one fair enough because he created it, but he had nothing to do with the other two. You're attributing Fulham's defensive frailty to Torres' impact by virtue of his presence alone.

Id have to disagree with you Castiel. Not on the whole because I agree that FT has achieved nowhere near the level of performance that CFC require or deserve.

However in relation to that goal the way I analyse that is that with Andre already in a better position to make a run in behind the first thought in FT mind is to show feet, in doing that you may also notice that Richardson has to check and hold with FT enabling space for the finish of Andre. Whether we attribute this to FT or to a series of fortunate events is another matter.

Edited by MJB

Id have to disagree with you Castiel. Not on the whole because I agree that FT has achieved nowhere near the level of performance that CFC require or deserve.

However in relation to that goal the way I analyse that is that with Andre already in a better position to make a run in behind the first thought in FT mind is to show feet, in doing that you may also notice that Richardson has to check and hold with FT enabling space for the finish of Andre. Whether we attribute this to FT or to a series of fortunate events is another matter.

The gif doesn't show it clearly, but Schurrle starts behind Torres, moves passed him and into that space Hazard passes into.  Torres just walks in the same direction, he doesn't move around, he doesn't even run, let alone attack some space.  He's just a spectator in the whole thing, the fact that he's there means Fulham have to mark him.  Schurrle creates all the confusion by attacking the space, something Torres never does.

I think everybody has in terms of knowing he wont be the Torres of Liverpool but that's not the point.He still plays for us and still works hard every game and the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

i'll be honest, at £250,000 a week i think hard work is the bare minimum that we can ask for! hard work should be free, you pay extra for some quality, which unfortunately he has never really delivered. i will still support him, as he will only be even worse if the fans get on his back, but i wont be too upset if/when he goes. hoping we sign a top striker in the summer as it is so obvious to everyone we need one. 

Honestly I think you're grasping at straws here.  The fact that he's on the pitch means he has to be marked, if I was on the pitch they'd be marking me as well.  I don't know how you can attribute actual credit to Torres for those goals in good conscience.  The third one fair enough because he created it, but he had nothing to do with the other two.  You're attributing Fulham's defensive frailty to Torres' impact by virtue of his presence alone.

I doubt it, would be a waste of resources!

I'm not saying he played well but I think people are being quite harsh on his performance. Regardless of it it was more down to Fulham's defence, the fact is by him being there it causes those problems. The second goal looks bad when you watch it again, mainly cause he's just causally strolling, but that's basic forward play, drawing attention to yourself to free space up for others. Saying he had nothing to do with the goals is wrong in my view, you don't always have to make lung busting runs to be able to greatly influence the play. Sometimes it really is as simple as standing there to draw attention. 

Edit: Fyi, I'm not saying it was fantastic play from Torres. Just saying that he played his part regardless.

Edited by Remodez

The gif doesn't show it clearly, but Schurrle starts behind Torres, moves passed him and into that space Hazard passes into. Torres just walks in the same direction, he doesn't move around, he doesn't even run, let alone attack some space. He's just a spectator in the whole thing, the fact that he's there means Fulham have to mark him. Schurrle creates all the confusion by attacking the space, something Torres never does.

In which case I apologise and fully accept your point , however, I still feel in the phase you show in the gif he does a reasonable job.

Although it is painfully obvious the guy is shot to pieces. Even though he has won every trophy at CFC apart from the PL, which who knows he may well achieve this year. And i would probably argue that he has contributed to that quite well on occasion. My only bug near is the price !! If we had paid 20 for him there would be no gripes I don't think

we aren't watching a 20 million pound striker. given the relative performance levels of other premier league strikers, i dont think we're even watching a 5 million pound striker. he is poor, not just by champions-league squad standards, but by any premier league clubs standards.

How much was Shane Long for Hull? i would take Long over Torres any day based on performances

we aren't watching a 20 million pound striker. given the relative performance levels of other premier league strikers, i dont think we're even watching a 5 million pound striker. he is poor, not just by champions-league squad standards, but by any premier league clubs standards.

How much was Shane Long for Hull? i would take Long over Torres any day based on performances

It's quotes like these that just completely sum up this thread. If you think playing for a club like hull is the same as playing for a club like chelsea you need your head checking. Torres is still a good striker and I'm certain that if he played for hull he would do a hell of a lot more than shane long.

People need to show a bit more respect to torres. Helped us win trophies in his time here and some of the best times us chelsea fans have had in the past few years he has contributed to massively. The fact the fans that actually go to games still show there support and chant his name proves that. You think if he was really sh*t for 3 years and contributed nothing to us fans would still be behind him? 

In mine and a lot of peoples opinions he is still our best option upfront for the remaining games of the season so cut the man some slack and get behind him. Bet you will all be celebrating if we win the title!

i'll be honest, at £250,000 a week i think hard work is the bare minimum that we can ask for! hard work should be free, you pay extra for some quality, which unfortunately he has never really delivered. i will still support him, as he will only be even worse if the fans get on his back, but i wont be too upset if/when he goes. hoping we sign a top striker in the summer as it is so obvious to everyone we need one. 

250,000 a week? Who's on that?

Pretty sure none of our players are on that kind of money, I thought Torres was on 175-200,000 a week.

In which case I apologise and fully accept your point , however, I still feel in the phase you show in the gif he does a reasonable job.

Although it is painfully obvious the guy is shot to pieces. Even though he has won every trophy at CFC apart from the PL, which who knows he may well achieve this year. And i would probably argue that he has contributed to that quite well on occasion. My only bug near is the price !! If we had paid 20 for him there would be no gripes I don't think

Not won the Capital One Cup...

It's quotes like these that just completely sum up this thread. If you think playing for a club like hull is the same as playing for a club like chelsea you need your head checking. Torres is still a good striker and I'm certain that if he played for hull he would do a hell of a lot more than shane long.

People need to show a bit more respect to torres. Helped us win trophies in his time here and some of the best times us chelsea fans have had in the past few years he has contributed to massively. The fact the fans that actually go to games still show there support and chant his name proves that. You think if he was really sh*t for 3 years and contributed nothing to us fans would still be behind him? 

In mine and a lot of peoples opinions he is still our best option upfront for the remaining games of the season so cut the man some slack and get behind him. Bet you will all be celebrating if we win the title!

It's quotes like these that completely sum up this thread. If you think playing for a club like hull is the same as playing for a club like chelsea you need your head checking. Long is still a good striker and I'm certain that if he played 3 years for Chelsea he would do a hell lot more than Torres. 

People need to show a bit more respect to Long and stop comparing him to players like Torres who play in front of some of the best attacking midfielders in the Prem. Just because he is not some fancy Spanish international doesn't mean that in the EPL he is not just as good as the Chelsea Torres we have all witness miss countless chances over the years. 

On a more serious note the only trophy to which Torres massively contributed is the Europa League - his contribution in our CL and FA Cup wins is comparable to Bosingwa  

Tremendous!.Torres and the centre back should be making the same run.Torres to pounch,if the keeper parries the ball to the feet of a proper centre forward and a proper centre half to stop that from happening!.as for fully supporting every player that pulls on a Chelsea shirt,should we have fully supported malouda?.like Torres another player who's attitude stank

L

People giving grief to Uno for saying just because Torres plays for Chelsea doesn't mean he should get unwavering support, should probably look at themselves and how they treated the FSW last season, who to my knowledge did not get support merely for being a part of the club?

note: I'm not agreeing with Uno or saying the FSW didn't deserve what he got, but it's a tad hypocritical.

My opinion is that I will gave a player my support so long as he is putting in 100%. Soon as he clearly isn't putting it in is when i'll turn on them.

Edited by Jonty