Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

True, his confidence looks totally shot to pieces perhaps not surprising given the lack of playing time.

Personally I can see Ba leaving us in the summer and based on his past form there will be interest from EPL clubs, Wenger might renew his interest and Newcastle would take him back in a heartbeat. IMO he will go as a striker not really given a decent chance at Chelsea. Another casualty of the Torres Conundrum, like Danny Sturridge

Another important league game and another impotent display from FT. Got out of jail second half from a winger turned centre forward.

Schurrle's second goal was a superb example of everything that's wrong with Torres. Note the movement along the line. One player is an mobile outlet, one player is practically static. Schurrle's run made Hazard's pass. Not the other way round. The service isn't our problem, we have players who can service, it's the lack of a consistent target being in the right areas.

We have reached the stage where Torres makes us a better side simply by not being in it.

Edited by just

Another important league game and another impotent display from FT. Got out of jail second half from a winger turned centre forward.

Schurrle's second goal was a superb example of everything that's wrong with Torres. Note the movement along the line. One player is an mobile outlet, one player is practically static. Schurrle's run made Hazard's pass. Not the other way round. The service isn't our problem, we have players who can service, it's the lack of a consistent target being in the right areas.

We have reached the stage where Torres makes us a better side simply by not being in it.

::clap2::  ::clap2::  ::clap2::  ::clap2::  ::clap2::

Well from the view of MOTD it looks like Torres out a real shift in, he did miss two great chances to score but he set one up. Its strange cause I've read he was awful but it didn't look like it on MOTD.

Jimmy used to pitch his tent and smoke a pipe when he didn't have the ball. However when it came his way he had an eye for goal and canny knack of getting them. Give me that over Torres any day!

Torres shouldn't be trusted in a blue shirt after he missed that header on the 6 yard box from hazards Rabona cross. Would have been one of the goals of the season and all he had to do was get a simple lofted cross on target.

I've said before we don't need a 40 goal a season striker with our attacking midfield, a striker who brings others into play is what's required but you expect a basic level of competency when it comes to finishing, otherwise we may as we'll bring in Emile Heskey.

Guest RFC_CFC

Torres shouldn't be trusted in a blue shirt after he missed that header on the 6 yard box from hazards Rabona cross. Would have been one of the goals of the season and all he had to do was get a simple lofted cross on target.

I've said before we don't need a 40 goal a season striker with our attacking midfield, a striker who brings others into play is what's required but you expect a basic level of competency when it comes to finishing, otherwise we may as we'll bring in Emile Heskey.

He didn't miss the header? it was going in but hit the defender on the back and deflected out for a corner....

He wasn't awful at all yesterday lol

Some folk clearly have an agenda on here.

He was one of the only ones who scraped pass marks in the first half and done well in the second setting up Schurrle for the third.

Not being awful is the height of Torres' Chelsea career. I have backed him enough. I will honestly say it's only been this season I have truly decided we cannot afford to have him contributing the square root of FA, taking game time away from players who can actually benefit from it. How many times are people going to decree the second coming, how many strikers are we going to marginalized because we spent £50m and £175k a week on Torres, Sturridge, Drogba, so far Lukaku?

Scraping a pass mark and doing well for an assist is the bare minimum I expect from a title chasing teams first choice striker.

I'd rather have a striker who brings others into the game like Torres does and puts in a shift any day. The team comes first, which is the most important thing for Torres I feel...and if the goals are coming through midfield, so be it.

You make him sound almost Zolaesque but it is complete rubbish. He doesn't bring others into the game, what does that even mean? His ability to hold the ball up with defenders on him is usually terrible, his first touch is woefully inconsistent and as we saw for the second goal yesterday his movement along the line to make himself an outlet is awful.

To be fair he does win his share of aerial flick ons and if that is what you mean by bringing others into the game then OK, but I think you're judging him with very, very blue tinted glasses.

Who is the best of our 3 limited options?

Ba is maybe the most likely to get a goal, but also seems to be less involved in games and has the least ability to link up with the midfield.

Torres, as poor as his finishing tends to be, looks more likely to score than Etoó and links up better with the team than Ba, though not as well as Etoó links up.

Etoó, United aside, is back to his "could not hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo" phase but seems to bring others in to games the best of our forwards, working better with less space.

Maybe a simplistic look at it but is how it seems to be.

Who is the best of our 3 limited options?

Ba is maybe the most likely to get a goal, but also seems to be less involved in games and has the least ability to link up with the midfield.

Torres, as poor as his finishing tends to be, looks more likely to score than Etoó and links up better with the team than Ba, though not as well as Etoó links up.

Etoó, United aside, is back to his "could not hit the broadside of a barn with a banjo" phase but seems to bring others in to games the best of our forwards, working better with less space.

Maybe a simplistic look at it but is how it seems to be.

When Torres has a good day he is top for me, admittedly that's rare, for consistency Eto'o normally brings the most to the team and can play well without scoring