pacquiao

David Luiz back at Chelsea

20 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

I don't really remember Phil Neville getting ridiculed, I remember he use to play in a few positions and always against Chelsea man marking Zola. 

My own opinion of Luiz is you take away the passing and you have a good defender, in a back 4 I cant see him being good enough over a season to win the league, his very similar to Leboeuf, brilliant in a back 3.

I remember he was ridiculed though not as a defender as a midfielder and this was when he was playing  as the DM.

22 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Look I know we like to back our own, but that is patently not true. Media and their rubbish aside he has limited awareness and concentration. Watch the Jovic goal at Stamford Bridge. Perfect example. Good reason Jose picked Cahill over him and was happy to let him go to PSG.

Truth is he has the best passing range of any defender in the world, for some that excuses his flaws. Not for me though.

I can give you perfect examples where he has been excellent too this season. Man City he did not give Sterling, Jesus and co a sniff. He was MOTM for me that game. He won everything. We have kept 16 clean sheets this season in league with Luiz being in the team for most of those games. People exaggerate the problems. He makes mistakes but he is a good defender and the good games he has had this season is not recognized. 

2 hours ago, STATS said:

I can give you perfect examples where he has been excellent too this season. Man City he did not give Sterling, Jesus and co a sniff. He was MOTM for me that game. He won everything. We have kept 16 clean sheets this season in league with Luiz being in the team for most of those games. People exaggerate the problems. He makes mistakes but he is a good defender and the good games he has had this season is not recognized. 

I think in many ways he's been a victim of the expectations set upon him when he joined the very first time.

After his performances against United and City early doors there was talk he potentially could revolutionise the CB position and I think from then on unrealistic expectations have been set on his head.

4 hours ago, STATS said:

2 hours ago, Argo said:

I think in many ways he's been a victim of the expectations set upon him when he joined the very first time.

After his performances against United and City early doors there was talk he potentially could revolutionise the CB position and I think from then on unrealistic expectations have been set on his head.

Appreciate your points. I have to say that expectations aren't an issue on my front. I simply want good disciplined defending. It's the reason I like Rudiger and the reason I have always preferred Cahill.

He's been part of some of our best teams but for mine he has always done better when either played in midfield or protected in a back three. That left side of defence in a back four has been a liability and is the key area that needs to be strengthened this summer, if we get a chance.

On 25/05/2019 at 00:49, Spiller86 said:

Because he's a poor defender and undermined Conte.

I don't know how he undermined Conte, but I don't think he is a poor defender. As many have pointed out, he has made mistakes, but he has also played very well the majority of the season. But I understand, also, the concerns you raise about him. Because he does have moments where you want to pull your hair out of your head because of his brain farts. But, IMO, the positives outweigh the negatives. Plus, he seems like one of those people you just want to be around as a person.