Mount

Matches - 38

Goals - 7

Assists - 5

CHO

Matches - 30

Goals - 1

Assists - 5

Stats dont necessarilly mean much but...

You need to look at it per 90 minutes ... they were worlds apart in actual pitch time.

image.png.858f0e7dae31b4b8b12093d4ee918d7f.png

CHO had the same number of assists in less than a third of the minutes, and a lot of his minutes would have been fragmented scraps as a substitute as well ...

Both great young players - we are lucky to have both of them

Hugged the touchline today like a folically-challenged Catalonian in a £200 jumper had drawn chalk lines on the pitch for him to stick to. His positioning was like a Euro 96 wing-back.

Unsurprisingly, as a direct result he got in Azpilicueta's way quite often and got very little of the ball. Equally unsurprisingly he looked far better once Havertz came off, he was moved to the left in front of Chilwell and was actually able to play like a modern winger.

He struggled a bit, but what I liked was the effort. He worked hard, tracked back and helped out the team defensively and looked to be a team player rather than just an individual trying to impress with a bit of skill. Hopefully it's a sign of him maturing.

Still not sure whether he should stay or go on loan. The talent is there but he needs to progress and you're not going to get that without playing time.

10 minutes ago, abramovich said:

He struggled a bit, but what I liked was the effort. He worked hard, tracked back and helped out the team defensively and looked to be a team player rather than just an individual trying to impress with a bit of skill. Hopefully it's a sign of him maturing.

Still not sure whether he should stay or go on loan. The talent is there but he needs to progress and you're not going to get that without playing time.

Needs a loan for me, too much competition this season.

9 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Needs a loan for me, too much competition this season.

Not to mention he hasn't had a loan before, and really needs a season of serious game time. Based on yesterdays performance, he's not going to get that this season either.

I actually hope both he and RLC goes on loan this season as we cant really afford to play them week in, week out based on recent form - and how do you get back to your best after injury and lack of playing time without playing regular football?

Besides, I think we should be well covered:

Mendy

(Kepa)

James       Zouma              Silva     Chilwell

(Azpi)       (Christensen)     (Tomori) (Alonso)

Kova                 Kante

(Jorginho)         (Gilmour)

Ziyech                 Havertz             Werner

(Mount)              (Barkley)            (Pulisic)

Tammy

(Giroud)

On 23/09/2020 at 08:17, ducavis said:

When did Pulisic ever sit on the bench for 2mths? Isn’t this a false narrative? He came off the bench v Utd in Lamps 1st game, started the Super Cup game v Liverpool & the PL game v Leicester. He was only dropped after the poor showing v Sheff Utd.

As for Pulisic coming off the bench and impacting games which fans keep mentioning, I assume this is the 5-3 loss v Liverpool. What gets lost in this narrative is we were losing this game 3-1 at half-time, he hooked Mason (who was having a sh*t show on the wings) & Willian, Pulisic & CHO were both brought off the bench. Pulisic grabs a goal & an assist, and CHO also picked up an assist. Next game he rewards Mount’s poor game v Liverpool with a start as a winger again; fair point he grabbed a goal & an assist.

Now let’s put the “impact games as winger” under the microscope. Wingers & Forwards will always be judged by their goals & assists, that is their currency. If you are winning games but your wingers/forwards aren’t scoring/assisting, there will be little complaints. Fans don’t have a problem with Mount as a player, it is playing him in a role where he is contributing nothing offensively. All I have heard the last 2 games have been “he was pressing Liverpool players”, “he was helping Alonso out with Lamptey”. Why isn’t his impact being brought into question if CHO a winger is meant to come of the bench and in 10-15mins impact a game. A comparison/contrast with Foden who is being played on the wings instead of centrally is apt. Mahrez will have little or no complaints because in those 8 PL games Foden has started on the wings, they have won all & Foden has scored 5 goals & had 1 assist. That is impacting a game. You contrast that with Mount who has 1 goal and 1 assist v Wolves in 4 starts as a winger, we have won 2 & lost 2. With Lamps saying Pulisic & Ziyech might not be ready for the weekend, I fully expect to see Mount on the wings again. I also don’t expect to hear anything about his “impact as a winger”, but if we start dropping points it becomes a problem.

Sidenote: A loan won’t most likely change his circumstances in the future. We all want Lamps to be a success, and I can’t see his lot changing while he is here. Smart move will be at minimum looking for a loan with an obligation to buy from a midtable club where he will be playing regularly, and taking a huge pay cut. 

Frank took his time in bringing him in he only got his Regular starting position by earning it. 

As we saw yesterday Calum couldn’t shine given his start even against Barnsley, so as I said I think he has the talent but he needs time to put it all together and translate that talent into performances, when he does that he will start if he is patient and determined enough to get to that point  

21 hours ago, Jangz said:

I never got this Lampard lacks natural skill argument.. it was peddled by the media dominated by scouse and Utd media to place scholes and gerrard above him..

Lamps could absolutely pass three ball - had great technique while shooting.. made assists.. could hold the ball..

Scholes had better vision and range but lamps had other “Skills” and so did Gerrard..  and all were gifted in different ways..

What they probably mean is that for someone who was one of the best midfielders in the world, he didn't have the close control or skills of a Xavi or Iniesta or Pirlo or Zidane. I don't think Scholes is even in the conversation 😄 But Lampard was an incredibly clever and hardworking footballer.

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

What they probably mean is that for someone who was one of the best midfielders in the world, he didn't have the close control or skills of a Xavi or Iniesta or Pirlo or Zidane. I don't think Scholes is even in the conversation 😄 But Lampard was an incredibly clever and hardworking footballer.

Take you blue-tinted specs off. All of the players you've mentioned, including Frank, have praised Scholes.

27 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Just thinking, last season Pulisic was sensational coming in off the Left Wing, Werner is a left sided forward.

CHO is unlikely to get much time as a left winger this season and not sure of him on the Right side.

For me a loan would be best.

I think we can afford to wait until near the end of the window before we make a decision on whether to loan him out. If Ziyech and Pulisic are back by then I agree it probably makes sense.

1 hour ago, Stretford Ender said:

Take you blue-tinted specs off. All of the players you've mentioned, including Frank, have praised Scholes.

No disrespect to Scholes BTW. Great player but did not have the momentous (very long-term) impact on his club and in Europe that Lampard had. 

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

No disrespect to Scholes BTW. Great player but did not have the momentous (very long-term) impact on his club and in Europe that Lampard had. 

Was it him that came back from retirement and won the title for Fergie once again or was it Giggs?

1 hour ago, Stretford Ender said:

Good job you put that emoji on there. KDB is a bit special though.

Have to give a quality player his due, even if he does play for a rival - it is hard to compare with Nicky Butt!

Edited by PloKoon13
Typo