Callum Hudson-Odoi

7 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

Decent cameo by Callum. Was dangerous as soon as he was moved to the left and got himself a nice goal. Today showed that our team is desperate for players who can beat their man. Adds another dimension to the game. Apart from him and Pulisic, we haven't really got a player of that profile in our attack.

At times he could still show more urgency I feel, but this was an encouraging sign today, after a dire outing against Barnsley. Will probably start against Tottenham, where he can hopfully continue this upwards trajectory.

Spot on! This has never been about Mount v CHO, it’s has always been about width & stretching the opponents. CHO is the only fit player we have that will take on an opponent and maintain the width. That simple change is a lot when everyone else wants to come in and get involved in the middle.

1 minute ago, Strider6003 said:

He played well after early moving to the Left side, the takeway is he cannot play wide Right. 

I think he can and he was forming a partnership with James last season. He is very raw and very much a work in progress, what he has is a platform you can build on.

13 hours ago, haviet1 said:

Put players in their natural positions where they're more likely to excel. Coaching 101.

Stop messing with the lineup every week, and put players where they don't belong.

True but I think Frank has so many options with a lot of new players, so you would expect a bit of "experimenting". But the sooner we get a settled line-up, the better. Everton are top with 9 out of 9 points and although you don't expect them to keep that up, Carlo has kept the same starting 11 for all three games sand it's not rocket science, you keep to a winning side.

But much better from CHO yesterday. He has it in him and he can terrorise defenders. The goal Rashford scored for Utd yesterday - have seen Callum do that for our youth team and for England U 21's and want to see him doing it for the first team as he is more than capable of producing it.

Edited by Nibs

9 minutes ago, Nibs said:

True but I think Frank has so many options with a lot of new players, so you would expect a bit of "experimenting". But the sooner we get a settled line-up, the better. Everton are top with 9 out of 9 points and although you don't expect them to keep that up, Carlo has kept the same starting 11 for all three games sand it's not rocket science, you keep to a winning side.

But much better from CHO yesterday. He has it in him and he can terrorise defenders. The goal Rashford scored for Utd yesterday - have seen Callum do that for our youth team and for England U 21's and want to see him doing it for the first team as he is more than capable of producing it.

No need to experiment down the left anymore. Pulisic and Hudson-Odi are obviously the only 2 players in the squad that should be playing on the left, both of them can be dynamite cutting back in. 

34 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

What were you so impressed about?.

Whole team were playing very safe. We had plenty of the ball, but there was very little risks taken, full backs were conservative, very few players in the box, very little movement and runs in behind.  Reminded me of sarri on a bad day! 

I thought CHO worked hard defensively, but the one big chance that fell his way didnt result in a goal or an assist. Same story as mount, end product needs to be there at this level. I know they are young, but if your playing at big club, you have to produce regularly. We are not a side like Ajax or Dortmund that will give players 3 or 4 years to improve. Nature of the beast. 

Still think he should start again against palace, because we need width, and he needs consistant games.

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I'm shocked by those stats, to me he was making all the right moves, especially in the first half, worked hard and passed the ball well. 

I'm not. He couldn't beat his man at all in the first half. The right wing doesn't suit him anymore. I don't know if it's because of the injury or he's playing at a higher level of the game, but he consistently struggles to run and and beat his man on the right win. He always looked more threatening running at people on the left.

Edited by Scott Harris

5 hours ago, big blue said:

Whole team were playing very safe. We had plenty of the ball, but there was very little risks taken, full backs were conservative, very few players in the box, very little movement and runs in behind.  Reminded me of sarri on a bad day! 

I thought CHO worked hard defensively, but the one big chance that fell his way didnt result in a goal or an assist. Same story as mount, end product needs to be there at this level. I know they are young, but if your playing at big club, you have to produce regularly. We are not a side like Ajax or Dortmund that will give players 3 or 4 years to improve. Nature of the beast. 

Still think he should start again against palace, because we need width, and he needs consistant games.

I disagree. At a club like Dortmund, you have to constantly produce in order to earn your place in the 11. Just ask Pulisic, Sancho, Bellingham, Harland, and Reyna. Don't matter if you're 16, 17, or 18 years old. You get call into the senior team, you have to produce. Dortmund have lots of young talents in their academy just waiting to make the step up to the senior team, and they can always go out and get guys like a young Dembele, Sancho, etc. from elsewhere to step in. The pressure is there, those kids don't get free rides. I can pretty confidently say that there's no way CHO will walk straight into Dortmund's 11 with the ways he's been playing.

He carried the ball up the wing then laid it off when he was faced with a defender, it would be a decent offensive display for a fullback.

He's also lacking some pace, I don't remember how fast he was pre injury but there were situations where Pedro or Willian would leave everyone for dead but Callum got caught up on and lost the ball.

In the first half he was our best player on the pitch, Werner scored the goal but nothing more than that. He was creative, he was running on the defenders and tried to do something.

In the second half like the whole team he wasn't active enough, could finish the game with an assist but decided to shoot. I also believe that he had to give that through ball to Abraham, but if he could score from there I'd take it as well.

I very hope Lampard will work on it with him, he has to start against Crystal Palace.