Callum Hudson-Odoi

All the while Werner is scoring playing from the left hand side it's hard to argue against him starting there. 

Abraham is contributing a lot at the moment too. 

Would CHO contribute anywhere near as much or as consistently as those two currently are? I doubt it. 

That's not to say that I'm not surprised by how few minutes CHO has been getting but at the same time it's hard to criticise Lampard for it given our current form. 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

All the while Werner is scoring playing from the left hand side it's hard to argue against him starting there. 

Abraham is contributing a lot at the moment too. 

Would CHO contribute anywhere near as much or as consistently as those two currently are? I doubt it. 

That's not to say that I'm not surprised by how few minutes CHO has been getting but at the same time it's hard to criticise Lampard for it given our current form. 

Not a chance he would. I fully agree that I'd rather have Werner play on left with Tammy in middle rather than Odoi and Werner. I just mean we finally have a world class striker at our disposal and it would be great to see him playing where he is at his very best. Once Pulisic is fully fit I am sure we will. 

1 hour ago, loz said:

Don't think he has much time left at the club. The fact that we are pushing Werner out of position and playing Abraham through the middle when Pulisic isn't available really proves Lampard doesn't think he is up to it.

Can't say I disagree with him either but it is a little frustrating to see Werner blunted. 

Think that's a little premature, this time last month people were saying we sold the wrong young RB. 

For context at his current age Pedro and Puyol were still awaiting their Barca debut's.

Looking at the players' form you have to say Tammy and Werner deserve to play ahead of CHO and Werner can definitely play Winger so it's not like we're killing ourselves to shoehorn him in the team.

That being said at 4-1 up with a sub left it's hard to imagine why someone wasn't put on just to rest another player.

5 hours ago, Argo said:

Think that's a little premature, this time last month people were saying we sold the wrong young RB. 

For context at his current age Pedro and Puyol were still awaiting their Barca debut's.

Depends upon who was saying that we sold the wrong RB 😄 as far as I could see, these were pretty much the same people going on about Mount and Chilwell.

But CHO is a slightly different case. Maybe he will come good but he doesn't have the touch, the cutting edge, the shooting/technical ability, the vision or the goal scoring instinct that most in our current line up have. 

Basically have no reason not to trust Frank's judgement here.

Edited by ashwin
1 hour ago, ashwin said:

he doesn't have the touch, the cutting edge, the shooting/technical ability, the vision or the goal scoring instinct that most in our current line up have. 

He had that in abundance at academy level, played for the under 23’s at just 16 and looked to be a very well rounded player, probably the best I’ve seen at that level. However, he hasn’t transmitted it to senior football consistently and I worry if he can, still very young though. 

7 hours ago, dkw said:

Broken covid rules......again. ok once was daft, to do it again is just moronic.

Oh dear. At least no criminal allegations this time. He needs to be careful, moves to Bayern can quickly become moves to Brentford regardless of talent. Just ask Josh McEachran. 

4 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

He had that in abundance at academy level, played for the under 23’s at just 16 and looked to be a very well rounded player, probably the best I’ve seen at that level. However, he hasn’t transmitted it to senior football consistently and I worry if he can, still very young though. 

Well he's not a young raw talent anymore, the best players already look the part at his age, just look at the boys at Dortmund. We have been here many times before with the likes of talented youths like Musonda, Patrick, Josh and countless others. 

Youth accolades don't always amount to anything at the highest level. He doesn't look hungry or professional enough to kick on from what I have seen thus far. With the players we have he will quickly be forgotten if he doesn't get his head down and work for it. 

Edited by Chelsbear
38 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Well he's not a young raw talent anymore, the best players already look the part at his age, just look at the boys at Dortmund. We have been here many times before with the likes of talented youths like Musonda, Patrick, Josh and countless others. 

Youth accolades don't always amount to anything at the highest level. He doesn't look hungry or professional enough to kick on from what I have seen thus far. With the players we have he will quickly be forgotten if he doesn't get his head down and work for it. 

That's not true, just looking at some of our players alone Ziyech at that age was in the mid table in Holland, Werner was having a shocking season goalscoring wise (something like 7 in 37 games), Pulisic was in and out of Dortmund's side with question marks over his end product (so much so we many people were upset about the signing because they believed 18 year old CHO was better) and Thiago Silva was playing for Porto reserves. 

That said I'm not defending his form this season he should be doing a lot better than he has been (which is quite disappointing as I thought he was quite good in the restart period especially at Anfield) but not smashing it at 20 doesn't mean curtains full stop, far from it.

11 hours ago, dkw said:

Broken covid rules......again. ok once was daft, to do it again is just moronic.

Weird story. It happened weeks ago and was on snapchat. It happened when London was in tier2 not full lockdown and just involved him and a small group in a restaurant. .

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know you couldn't do that. The rules weren't very clear. 

I also think the press didn't report it at the time because at the time most of the country could go to a restaurant with a friend - including CHO who I assume lives in Surrey (but travelled into London).

So for me, concerned that the press are out to get him more than he has a problem.

2 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Weird story. It happened weeks ago and was on snapchat. It happened when London was in tier2 not full lockdown and just involved him and a small group in a restaurant. .

I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even know you couldn't do that. The rules weren't very clear. 

I also think the press didn't report it at the time because at the time most of the country could go to a restaurant with a friend - including CHO who I assume lives in Surrey (but travelled into London).

So for me, concerned that the press are out to get him more than he has a problem.

99% sure he lives in London still. 

Just seen it mention with no detail on Sky Sports but if it was weeks ago as you said then it’s a complete non-story (unsurprising knowing our glowing media). 

Felt a bit for him yesterday, could have easily come on for the last 10 minutes instead of playing Tammy over there (although Tammy deserved to get 90 minutes).

9 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

If I recall correctly from that story with the hooker he lives alone which means he'd have been entitled to a support bubble which allowed him to mix with another household.

So unless they meet up with someone else outside of Fik's household he's done nothing wrong this time, non story!

7 hours ago, ashwin said:

Depends upon who was saying that we sold the wrong RB 😄 as far as I could see, these were pretty much the same people going on about Mount and Chilwell.

But CHO is a slightly different case. Maybe he will come good but he doesn't have the touch, the cutting edge, the shooting/technical ability, the vision or the goal scoring instinct that most in our current line up have. 

Basically have no reason not to trust Frank's judgement here.

His touch and technical ability are among the best in the squad. Several levels above Werner's who's playing in his favorite position. His long passing is also top class. I do agree he's lacking a cutting edge though. Werner for example might not be the greatest on the ball but he tries things, works hard and is always a goalscoring threat.

Callum otoh still looks like he hasn't quite gotten used to the pace of the man's game yet. He's way too sloppy and it seems like he often thinks he's got more time than he really has and loses the ball as a result. 

While I agree with Frank that Callum shouldn't be starting games at the moment, I don't understand why Frank doesn't bring him on earlier in games. Especially with our crazy schedule. Yesterday the game was over by minute 80 and Ziyech could have gotten an important rest while CHO would have gotten some desperately needed game time.

There's definetely a lot of talent there, but it doesn't look like it's going to be untapped here. Maybe a loan would be best for him in January.

I think he will be loaned out in the summer, if he dosen't manage to convince Lampard that he offers something useful to our squad. He is among the few players we have that has the attributes to dribble past several players, by using his speed, strength and technical ability, but after his injury I don't really see it happening often enough. We might start looking for someone like that next summer, if Pulisic keeps getting injured and CHO can't convince Lampard this season.

Not good enough in training ? That one is wearing a bit thin now. 

If he keeps parking his e-scooter in Franks parking space what do you expect ?

I think the more likely reason for his exclusion is Frank never plays two up top, but he wants Werner and Abraham on the pitch, he probably see's the bulk of our goals coming from these two, remember Werner is now the penalty taker. So it makes sense to have them on the pitch as much as possible. Werner on the left (but realistically he's everywhere with Chilwell pushing up the left wing). Ziyech smashes his way into any team in the league, so no surprise he's keeping Callum off the right wing.

3 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

His touch and technical ability are among the best in the squad. Several levels above Werner's who's playing in his favorite position. His long passing is also top class. I do agree he's lacking a cutting edge though. Werner for example might not be the greatest on the ball but he tries things, works hard and is always a goalscoring threat.

Callum otoh still looks like he hasn't quite gotten used to the pace of the man's game yet. He's way too sloppy and it seems like he often thinks he's got more time than he really has and loses the ball as a result. 

While I agree with Frank that Callum shouldn't be starting games at the moment, I don't understand why Frank doesn't bring him on earlier in games. Especially with our crazy schedule. Yesterday the game was over by minute 80 and Ziyech could have gotten an important rest while CHO would have gotten some desperately needed game time.

There's definetely a lot of talent there, but it doesn't look like it's going to be untapped here. Maybe a loan would be best for him in January.

His technique is quite poor, not sure why you feel it's better than Werner's. One of the reasons his shooting and finishing are so poor. Also a reason why he will never be a set piece taker nor will he ever come close to consistently whipping in good crosses like Ziyech or James. He also lacks to ability to make pin point long passes.

3 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

I disagree. I see CHO as having incomplete technique at the highest level. I see him as a kick and run merchant and his shooting is average. His specialty is that he generates power despite having almost no backlift when shooting which makes him very unpredictable.

He should just model his game around Robben to be more effective.

If this wasn't CHO's thread, I thought you'd have been describing Kovacic

8 minutes ago, ashwin said:

His technique is quite poor, not sure why you feel it's better than Werner's. One of the reasons his shooting and finishing are so poor. Also a reason why he will never be a set piece taker nor will he ever come close to consistently whipping in good crosses like Ziyech or James. He also lacks to ability to make pin point long passes.

I agree with you that his shooting technique isn't the greatest (I still wouldn't call it poor though), but I meant his touch and his technique while running with the ball. He's very good in that department. There's an interview with Zouma and where he says that he's the best dribbler in training. He was going back and fourth between him and Pulisic, but settled on Callum. You can see flashes of it in games, but he's not doing it consistently enough. 

I also think his crosses are fine and his long passes are very good.

Edited by True Blue23
36 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

I agree with you that his shooting technique isn't the greatest (I still wouldn't call it poor though), but I meant his touch and his technique while running with the ball. He's very good in that department. There's an interview with Zouma and where he says that he's the best dribbler in training. He was going back and fourth between him and Pulisic, but settled on Callum. You can see flashes of it in games, but he's not doing it consistently enough. 

I also think his crosses are fine and his long passes are very good.

Agree that is dribbling at pace is good but his close control wouldn't even be in the top 5 in the team - Pulisic, Havertz, Kovacic, Ziyech, probably even Mount and some others have better close control.

I'm not saying his technique, crossing, long passing etc. are not fine/above average but that's not the discussion right 🙂 Just not good enough to start in our team (relatively poor), which would explain why Mount, Werner, and some others are preferred in that position.

His shooting is truly terrible though, and not in a relative sense.

I have nothing against him but he will need to really elevate certain aspects of his game to make it at Chelsea.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

So Odoi can play and train with 30+ other footballers but can't meet one of them for a meal in London? What a load of bollocks. Complete none story that one. 

He wouldn't have been on the bench if he had done something bad for real.

• 2 weeks later...