Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

23 minutes ago, RMH said:

That would be if Tuchel wanted to play as Sarri, but this isn’t the case. Jorginho does not fit  system, in fact, I’d argue the team is so unbalanced that that’s why we struggle. We have a fast front line that would thrive with fast fluid forward passes, and a sluggish tiki-taka midfield. Jorginho would probably not flourish either at Pep’s City, he’s too soft to cover as Fernandinho and not an attacking threat as Gundogan, nor even a similar player to Rodri or Bernardo Silva. I just don’t see in for us unless we change the whole system and set of players to build the team around him.

I get your point to be honest but Tuchel has said many times that the team is very good in the 70 meters after the keeper but we lack precision in the final 30 meters( Frontline) . This means our defence and midfield (including Jorginho) are doing their job but the frontline is messing up. I agree with your point that we have no midfielders to send that early pass behind the defence to utilise our fast strikers but that responsiblity also falls on Kante ,Kovacic and to some degree Mount.

I made the Mancity point because City bought Rodri but Peps first choice was Jorginho. Thankfully Sarri beat him to the punch due to their Napoli connection. 

14 hours ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

Apparently we are looking at Aurélien Tchouaméni from Monaco who's probably been one of the best midfielder in Ligue 1 this season. Could very well be the cover for Jorginho.

Watched Monaco beat PSG not long ago, and they have some monster kids coming through in defense and midfield. Pace strength, you name, it they had it. Mbappe didnt get a sniff all game. Didnt have a clue who was who, but I wouldn't mind Tuchel picking up some gems from that league, similiar to Fofana at Leicester. 

45 minutes ago, Oli said:

Watched Monaco beat PSG not long ago, and they have some monster kids coming through in defense and midfield. Pace strength, you name, it they had it. Mbappe didnt get a sniff all game. Didnt have a clue who was who, but I wouldn't mind Tuchel picking up some gems from that league, similiar to Fofana at Leicester. 

As long as we dont get a BAKAYOKO 2.0.... lol

Ye but Bakayoko was never a good player. I watched Monaco a lot the season before we bought him, and I have no idea what our scouting system were looking at. He scored one goal against Man City in the Champions League, and suddenly he was being talked about with all their other amazing players. 

Plus im sure Tuchel would of seen some good players there over the years, and who he thinks who be good enough to make the step up or has that absolute star quality. 

All the stats supporting the theory that Jorginho is a world class player are meaningless. I rate him as a decent squad player but ignore stats that try and make him out to be something I know he isn't. I watch the game and can see when a player has done well or when he has had a complete mare and should get subbed at half-time. I have never seen opposing players go past Rice as they go past Jorginho on a regular basis and have never seen Rice have a half as bad as Jorginho did against WBA.

Repeat though, that I don't really want us to sign Rice!

26 minutes ago, Nibs said:

All the stats supporting the theory that Jorginho is a world class player are meaningless. I rate him as a decent squad player but ignore stats that try and make him out to be something I know he isn't. I watch the game and can see when a player has done well or when he has had a complete mare and should get subbed at half-time. I have never seen opposing players go past Rice as they go past Jorginho on a regular basis and have never seen Rice have a half as bad as Jorginho did against WBA.

Repeat though, that I don't really want us to sign Rice!

I agree. However I would actually go for Rice. You just have to watch the matches to see how good he is as a player. The only issue is the price tag, but i'm hearing West Ham may be willing to listen to offers, so if Marina can work her magic, I'm all for it. 

I’ve given him stick, but today his first half was great. Given the space that Palace gave us, he can be very good. Still, I think he would have struggled if Palace had pressed him as other teams do. But happy with his contribution today.

Guest Sindre

At his best he reminds me of Carrick when he was in his prime for ManUtd.

He was also slow and weak but they both have that ability to control the game.

Just now, just said:

Played well but was badly at fault for the Palace goal today. If he doesn't allow himself to be subbed, Benteke doesn't win that header.

The stats confirm that.

Hard to know who was MOTM today but the UEFA match observer said it was Zaha.

No one does sarcasm quite like you mate😂

8 minutes ago, Sindre said:

At his best he reminds me of Carrick when he was in his prime for ManUtd.

He was also slow and weak but they both have that ability to control the game.

Though it was kind of easy for Carrick when he had Scholes and Giggs around him that could make a perfect pass from anywhere to anyone... Sadly Jorginho never scored a goal from distance like Carrick.

On 10/04/2021 at 21:05, Gol15 said:

Though it was kind of easy for Carrick when he had Scholes and Giggs around him that could make a perfect pass from anywhere to anyone... Sadly Jorginho never scored a goal from distance like Carrick.

Oh oh i remember a game i think under Sarri where he did score from a wide position. I don't think it was a top 6 game but it was a good goal. 

Guest Sindre

Deserves all the credit in the world for that performance yesterday.

8 tackles won is the most by a Chelsea player since Kante v Barcelona in 2018 in the CL.

I've been critical of Jorginho in the past, especially during Lamps' time, but he's been decent recently, especially his ball recovery and ball retention under the press.

Still not sure what our best combination is, Kante is a fantastic little player but perhaps Jorginho plays better with Kovacic, i really dont know.

Him being in our box or close to our backline really made the difference, made some crucial recoveries but he passed the ball well which is the main thing so he once again did his role.

Oliveira might be a more complete midfielder but he and Otavio couldn't really break our defense, it felt like Jorginho and T.Silva took this game a bit personal and were focused full time.

Real Madrid though, a different beast to slay. It's going to be hard to match Kroos, Modric and Casemiro.

Will be interesting for sure. Real is mostly a pragmatic, almost cynical, side under Zidane as far as I saw them and thrive on exploiting mistakes done by the opponent. If we stay that compact and engaged as a whole we are tough to score against even  by them - especially since Madrid don't have those uber-scorers anymore. But those mistakes like Mendy or James/Chilwell were doing yesterday could be punished hard. Ramos  (and Varane?) do have covid right now so it'd be interesting to see how the deal with our attacking system too. 

I'd say it's a 50/50 game more or less. And yes, at one point I'd love to see Kova/Jorgi and Kante rule the central midfield but I'd say we would need a four at the back formation then so it's highly unlikely to see it this season.

Edited by weetee

The one thing that may favour us is that Real Madrid does not press as hard as Porto did in the two legs or other teams do in the PL. They'll give us some space to play and given space we play well. Completely different game to Porto.

1 hour ago, RMH said:

The one thing that may favour us is that Real Madrid does not press as hard as Porto did in the two legs or other teams do in the PL. They'll give us some space to play and given space we play well. Completely different game to Porto.

I sort of hope they do try pressing us, we seem to thrive on it now, the loudest clap i hear from Tuchel is when we beat the press, he loves it.