Reece James

PloKoon13

On 31/01/2021 at 01:32, axman2526 said:

So what are the social media giants going to do about this?

Deactivate the account? That all? When will the authorities punish the platforms for letting this go on?

Ive thought about this a bit. Certain words should be banned, certainly on public forums. Limits on who can send messages to verified accounts, automatic bans for certain words being used. There will be a data science team that can build a system that automatically understands when racism is happening and automatically IP block.

But I only hear nonsense solutions from authorities who don't understand what tech companies can and can't do. 

13 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Ive thought about this a bit. Certain words should be banned, certainly on public forums. Limits on who can send messages to verified accounts, automatic bans for certain words being used. There will be a data science team that can build a system that automatically understands when racism is happening and automatically IP block.

But I only hear nonsense solutions from authorities who don't understand what tech companies can and can't do. 

Unfortunately until the platform owners are made to have more responsibility nothing will happen. Apparently because Facebook and Twitter arent classed as "publications" but just social media platforms theres very little regulations covering them historically. There needs to be a concerted effort by governments worldwide to get a grip on this whole thing and reclassify the platforms, giving them more power and oversight. Its sickening that in a modern world thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of vermin are allowed to throw disgraceful abuse at people with almost 100% anonymity. 

On most applications these days you need to provide an email contact and verify using that email.

So just a little surprised certain platforms cannot identify abusers.

Surely authorities should step in with fines and threatening of closure unless certain verification of user steps are taken. 

Social media have no incentive to regulate look how long they allowed Trump, Kate Hopkins and the likes to continue unchecked under the guise of free speech. 

Any traffic means more money from advertisers, the more outlandish it is the more traffic gets generated. 

Users can be identified however it takes time and money.

So I don't see social media companies being in any hurry to make changes which affect their revenue.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

On most applications these days you need to provide an email contact and verify using that email.

So just a little surprised certain platforms cannot identify abusers.

Surely authorities should step in with fines and threatening of closure unless certain verification of user steps are taken. 

Emails can easily be anonymous unfortunately. 

Never even heard abiout this until today. Why was Reece getting racially abused? It's never acceptable under any circumstances, but Reece has been one of our better players. I would like to know who those people are behind their anonymous profiles. They are such gutless twerps. I remember when Curtis Woodhouse (ex footballer and boxer) was being abused online, along with his kids and wife, by an internet troll. He managed to find the guy's address and phone number. Drove all the way to the guy's road and called him up. The guy lost his bottle entirely and was begging for forgiveness, saying he was sorry and it was only a "joke" etc. These trolls are pathetic. Be warned, you may think you are totally anonymous, but there are ways to find out who you are. Pick on the wrong person and they may not be as forgiving as some. 

23 minutes ago, enigma said:

Never even heard abiout this until today. Why was Reece getting racially abused? It's never acceptable under any circumstances, but Reece has been one of our better players. I would like to know who those people are behind their anonymous profiles. They are such gutless twerps. I remember when Curtis Woodhouse (ex footballer and boxer) was being abused online, along with his kids and wife, by an internet troll. He managed to find the guy's address and phone number. Drove all the way to the guy's road and called him up. The guy lost his bottle entirely and was begging for forgiveness, saying he was sorry and it was only a "joke" etc. These trolls are pathetic. Be warned, you may think you are totally anonymous, but there are ways to find out who you are. Pick on the wrong person and they may not be as forgiving as some. 

Wayne Bridge's wife Frankie host's/hosted programme dedicated to finding trolls.

2 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Saints lad who get sent off inside 2 minutes yesterday Jankewitz the latest to receive social media racist abuse.

The authorities should get these company's to get their houses in order or make them shut down.

Disgusting vermin, Little sh*t houses who would brick it if it was face to face.

So glad I don’t do social media. This place is the nearest I get to it. Maybe promote our great leaders on here to deal with these idiots, they get rid of people on here quick enough.

I think maybe our internet suppliers could put pressure on these sites by blocking offenders using them. There must be ways of doing this?

I was reading Utd's Black Players are getting it too and saw also a paper article about 14 year old Nazis in England planning terror attacks.

It makes you wonder if these are disturbed kids rather than adults, not that should be an excuse yet just goes to show how complicated things might be.

On 2/2/2021 at 03:04, bisright1 said:

Hard to distinguish intent and context with computer which require human interpretation which make it difficult. 

6 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Hard to distinguish intent and context with computer which require human interpretation which make it difficult. 

For a decent data science team it's not that hard. And it's getting easier. 

Sometimes mistakes will be made. But I'm talking about when someone is directing messages at a person they don't know. If I send Reece James (or any verified celebrity) a message on social media, I'm not going to use negative words and a monkey emoji. I'm not going to use racial language. 

Someone who does, should be blocked from sending any messages and the message should be hidden before Reece James can see it. The poster can review that ban when mistakes are made and it can be reviewed by a human. 

Test it, improve it, keep testing it, keep improving it. But right now they aren't even trying this which I find baffling.

Edited by bisright1

11 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Context is irrelevant when it comes to racist abuse, and the intent of a racist is always racist.  Doesn't need any interpretation..

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Context is irrelevant when it comes to racist abuse, and the intent of a racist is always racist.  Doesn't need any interpretation..

I think the point he was trying to make was if you were to put a flat ban of the N word for example pretty much every black rapper would be banned within 5 minutes. 

18 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Saints lad who get sent off inside 2 minutes yesterday Jankewitz the latest to receive social media racist abuse.

The authorities should get these company's to get their houses in order or make them shut down.

Why has it become even more rife over the past couple years? I don't remember hearing about the abuse as often. I don't know if any of you know about Rory Jennings who used to be on Chelseafantv (forget the name) and he spoke about Lampard getting sacked. He gave his opinion that it was a disgrace and wrong, but received abuse from fans. Some were even abusing his wife and baby daughter. Some people are utter weirdos. They need mental checks to be honest. People should be able to have an opinion without receiving abuse. 

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Why has it become even more rife over the past couple years? I don't remember hearing about the abuse as often. I don't know if any of you know about Rory Jennings who used to be on Chelseafantv (forget the name) and he spoke about Lampard getting sacked. He gave his opinion that it was a disgrace and wrong, but received abuse from fans. Some were even abusing his wife and baby daughter. Some people are utter weirdos. They need mental checks to be honest. People should be able to have an opinion without receiving abuse. 

Without getting too political, it comes about because the racists and bigots have become emboldened by the right-wing xenophobia and bigotry of the likes of Farage, Trump, Johnson, Gove at al.

Supported by the majority of the british press, these racists have promoted a non-stop tirade of anti-foreigner propaganda and that has made all of the racists feel able to be more open

Don't get me wrong, there has always been a racist element in british society, it's now become more acceptable to show it in public.  Previously, these people mostly expressed their views with friends and like-minded bigots, but now they see their own government and newpapers expressing the same or worse views and they think it's OK for them to do it.  It's why we are in this brexit sh*tshow, bigots voted to get rid of brown people.