Reece James

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

While we're on the topic of attacking output, just because I'm a bit of a stats nerd, here's some pretty graphs (one of which I sort of made..........):

r/soccer - [FiveYards] Best crossers (fullbacks) in the Premier League.

L2okxEu.png

Obviously first indicates that our full backs cross a lot (no sh*t) but while we do make some chances there are a few other teams which cross less frequently but still make more chances - so they're more efficient at it than we are. Second is another way to demonstrate creativity, Chilwell's overall creativity (so that includes dribbles and passess - in SCA) isn't super high to where we'd want him to be relative to the rest of the top four contenders - but James is in better company. Digne is high on the assist work because he takes a lot of static balls from corners etc. James gets into a good position such that 'assist shot' is more likely to result in a shot on goal from one of our players. 

Edited by MANoWAR

I really like James, at some point he was on the cover of my profile.

I have backed him last season when he wasn't that good defensively but some of his defensive tasks he still fails to do this season which is a bit annoying.

Yet this isn't what I came here for... It's this:

EsPQT3RXAAcdiwP?format=jpg&name=900x900 

EsPQU0FXYAUkgH2?format=jpg&name=900x900

WHY ARE YOU PASSING IT BACK WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU !?!?!?! THIS IS BASICS

Edited by Gol15

16 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I have backed him last season when he wasn't that good defensively but some of his defensive tasks he still fails to do this season which is a bit annoying.

I think we should reserve judgement on James until he gets a few games under his belt again, he was pushing for our POTY prior to his knee injury and Leicester was his first game in a while. I felt Lampard rushed him back for the Arsenal game which may have aggravated his injury but since the Everton game he has not looked his dynamic self which is when the statements regarding him needing knee surgery came out.

28 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Very good post. This hits the nail on the head. Unfortunately James is not the only one who can't seem to spot these runs. It was criminal how often players made runs against Leicester only to never recieve the ball. It's not that our players don't have the ability to pass the ball, the problem is they don't even try to play some risky through balls for some reason. Maybe they are instructed by Lampard to play it safe all the time or they simply lack confidence. Not sure what it is. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

The second photo,,,both the attackers are offside, even before James plays the ball, and to find pulisic he has to pass 3 players, agreed the pass back and instantly fwd  to Pulisic might be on, need that MF with the passing nous of Cesc, or Silva.

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

This seems like tactics to me seems he’s instructed to do that

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

On this Gol you are bang on. Get your heads up Lads we dont win style points by always looking for Silva and Rudiger...

Edited by axman2526

What I have noticed is that Chilwell is often closed down too quickly and plays the ball back.

James often seems to have more time and this might be because he moves better (not sure) and this gives him a little time to find a pass and he mostly he ignores opportunities and goes safely back to the CBs.

Both are very frustrating.

3 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think we should reserve judgement on James until he gets a few games under his belt again, he was pushing for our POTY prior to his knee injury and Leicester was his first game in a while. I felt Lampard rushed him back for the Arsenal game which may have aggravated his injury but since the Everton game he has not looked his dynamic self which is when the statements regarding him needing knee surgery came out.

I think he doesn't force himself into duels anymore, he's less strong on the ball and I noticed that when we did switch the flank instead of taking on the one man that is running to cover his side he automatically turned and played the ball back again and our attack was on reset again.

All that might be the evidence that he isn't fully recovered yet.

This what I posted is still about just looking up and passing the ball but you're right he's probably playing in some kind of a safe-mode right now due to his knee issue and that can affect a player mentally too. 

Thank you for reminding me about his possible knee operation that was talked about, I think Lampard might want to use Dave and give James a bit more time to recover and gather his confidence.

4 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Wasn't just James this happened many times in the game. Even when Pulisic and CHO were in good areas, on the byline they passed it backwards. 

We're playing like sh*thouses. 

It's not just James, the whole team is lacking confidence at moment, so many backward passing. Nobody is taking a chance, which is why we probably need to throw Gilmour or someone in just to see what could they offer. Leicester pressed us high, which would be perfect for us if we had defender or deep midfielder who could pick a pass. The front players were making runs, but the pass never came, sooner or later they just gave up. It's off topic, senior players like Silva/ Rudiger, who had experience and time to play with, just never dared to pass the ball forward, the complete lack of confidence and faith it's staggering.

15 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

The second photo,,,both the attackers are offside, even before James plays the ball, and to find pulisic he has to pass 3 players, agreed the pass back and instantly fwd  to Pulisic might be on, need that MF with the passing nous of Cesc, or Silva.

Of course they’re off? The second picture is to show the ball was on before they ran offside and highlight their frustration at not even being looked for. By the time the second picture is there, you’re right the only choice for James is to pass backwards but if he’d got his head up seconds earlier then we’d have been in behind. 

15 hours ago, Brutos said:

This seems like tactics to me seems he’s instructed to do that

Disagree that a midfielder who was exceptional at spotting passes and making them is telling his players to play make through Rudiger and Thiago Silva. We just don’t have players with particularly good vision despite forwards making good runs. A Fabregas would do absolute wonders for this team.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Of course they’re off? The second picture is to show the ball was on before they ran offside and highlight their frustration at not even being looked for. By the time the second picture is there, you’re right the only choice for James is to pass backwards but if he’d got his head up seconds earlier then we’d have been in behind. 

Disagree that a midfielder who was exceptional at spotting passes and making them is telling his players to play make through Rudiger and Thiago Silva. We just don’t have players with particularly good vision despite forwards making good runs. A Fabregas would do absolute wonders for this team.

So you are saying all our player’s now can’t spot a pass ? 
This possession football rather than take a risk keep possession and work a opening unfortunately we can’t do the the latter 

34 minutes ago, Brutos said:

So you are saying all our player’s now can’t spot a pass ? 
This possession football rather than take a risk keep possession and work a opening unfortunately we can’t do the the latter 

So you are saying a manager that was a top midfielder tells his players to pass backwards when they see team mates running through the lines and the possibility of getting them into a one v one situation? This is not about possession football, Pep's teams do possession football and still would get that pass done. I know you that you don't like that Frank is our manager, but sometimes you write some nonsense...

1 hour ago, RMH said:

So you are saying a manager that was a top midfielder tells his players to pass backwards when they see team mates running through the lines and the possibility of getting them into a one v one situation? This is not about possession football, Pep's teams do possession football and still would get that pass done. I know you that you don't like that Frank is our manager, but sometimes you write some nonsense...

Yes this behaviour is coached, stop equating lampard as player to manager just because he was a good player doesn't mean he can convey that as person. 
And pep is a different manager he actually manages even on the touchline

Edited by Brutos

3 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Yes this behaviour is coached, stop equating lampard as player to manager just because he was a good player doesn't mean he can convey that as person. 
And pep is a different manager he actually manages even on the touchline

Yeah, whatever, Lampard is teaching our players to pass back to the defenders and keeper instead of doing what his instinct as a player (which most likely hasn't lost as many people don't loose our instincts in life) is probably telling him to teach the players. And he probably coached James not to follow Madison for their second goal, because Frank is guilty of coaching bad tactics and in reality is a Spud torpedo in our Club...

What about James not being match fit or 100% recovered, or switching off? Not more likely than our coach telling players not to look up to their team mates and see the killer pass? But nah, not much to discuss with you in this respect (and I appreciate your posts on many topics), keep with your agenda that Frank is incompetent.

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Yeah, whatever, Lampard is teaching our players to pass back to the defenders and keeper instead of doing what his instinct as a player (which most likely hasn't lost as many people don't loose our instincts in life) is probably telling him to teach the players. And he probably coached James not to follow Madison for their second goal, because Frank is guilty of coaching bad tactics and in reality is a Spud torpedo in our Club...

What about James not being match fit or 100% recovered, or switching off? Not more likely than our coach telling players not to look up to their team mates and see the killer pass? But nah, not much to discuss with you in this respect (and I appreciate your posts on many topics), keep with your agenda that Frank is incompetent.

Our manager obviously coaches our players to not be fit and to switch off every so often. Keep up mate..

"Right Reece what do you do when you see a player drifting in behind you?"

"Do I track him and try and beat him to the ball gaffer?

"f**ks sake Reece, how many times do I need to tell you. Right, you need to stop concentrating on the match and think about whats for tea, and if you have enough milk in the fridge. Then look shocked when you see him behind you heading the ball in....right, lets try it again..."

Edited by dkw

On 22/01/2021 at 03:39, Strider6003 said:

What I have noticed is that Chilwell is often closed down too quickly and plays the ball back.

James often seems to have more time and this might be because he moves better (not sure) and this gives him a little time to find a pass and he mostly he ignores opportunities and goes safely back to the CBs.

Both are very frustrating.

It is more down to how we do build up. Chilwell a bit higher, james deeper hence he got more space 

Just now, Hessleboink said:

Crazy thought: if we're ever playing 3-4-3 again (especially against weaker opposition), considering Odoi worked well as a wingback (and maybe even Pulisic too), do we think James could slot into midfield next to Kante? Seems to have the skillset for it.

Not crazy at all. He was really, really good there for Wigan. 

9 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Not crazy at all. He was really, really good there for Wigan. 

Yeah, I didn't catch him at Wigan but I heard as much. It would definitely be interesting to see, especially if you've got those two midfielders covering left and right, he wouldn't be lost in the wide areas. I don't think Jorginho or Kovacic work in a two with Kante. Mount would be interesting to see, but I'd like to see him slightly further up the pitch if we're going to be playing with a high line (where he can press the ball without having to worry too much about what's behind him).

At this point in time, Kovacic is the odd man out in my mind. Pleasing on the eye, but I don't think he does anything exceptionally well (beyond beating a man, which I don't think we need if he's playing deep).

Edited by Hessleboink